Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I have an Elantra 2013 GLS with Push Start ignition. I had a question..

With the engine running, if I exit the vehicle with the smart key in my pocket, the car makes a beeping sound for a few seconds, what is it trying to warn me with? If I left the car so I ofcourse know the engine is running, what's there to warn, along with everyone around the car? :p

Also...what happens if I keep the engine running, exit the vehicle with the smart key in pocket, and go a bit far....say like I get into a building and go up a couple of floors...will the engine still be running and can be driven by someone else?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I can tell you that people have left car running with smartkey in their pocket, and spouse drive away really far... only then does spouse shut engine off,, and find out they have no registered smartkey to enable the car..

Now they either common courrier the smartkey over night,, or they tow to dealer, buy new smartkey ($$$) and program it to get car started, then drive home, and head right back to dealer with 2 smart key, and have the 2 provided key of choice programmed to module, leaving a 3rd as a spare part, as only 2 can be entered into memory at any 1 time, so you have a $$$ smart key sitting that is of no use.. cant be sold and registered to different car, as VIN info is written to smartkey at time of programming during registration.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Now they either common courrier the smartkey over night,, or they tow to dealer, buy new smartkey ($$$) and program it to get car started, then drive home, and head right back to dealer with 2 smart key, and have the 2 provided key of choice programmed to module, leaving a 3rd as a spare part, as only 2 can be entered into memory at any 1 time, so you have a $$$ smart key sitting that is of no use.. cant be sold and registered to different car, as VIN info is written to smartkey at time of programming during registration.
WOW!

Great description, I can visualize that happening.

I think the smart thing to do is stick with the traditional dumb key.:grin:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I have a friend who worked for a BMW dealer back when they first implemented that system without any sort of 'no key' warning. A businessman picked up his 750Li, drove home and ran inside while he left the car running in the driveway to change clothes and grab his suitcase. He threw everything in the car and drove nearly 300 miles before stopping for gas only to find out after he finished filling up that the key was in his suit pants at home in Portland. The car was stranded at the gas station until he managed to convince a friend to drive the key out to him.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the detailed info. That is helpful. So if someone steals away my car they can only go to a distance and once the car is off they are royally screwed

·
22,793 Posts
WOW!

Great description, I can visualize that happening.

I think the smart thing to do is stick with the traditional dumb key.:grin:
There's an argument for that! Always did secretly want a push button start, but I'm so scatterbrained lately, I can see me doing some of these things. I carry an extra in my wallet. Flat, without that black head so it fits nicely without protruding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts