Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the smart cruise control apply the brakes when a vehicle pulls out from an intersection, too close? I always do my own braking when it's too close for comfort, and I don't really like the idea of waiting any longer to see if it will automatically brake. Seems like it should detect rapid closure of the two vehicles. But I don't push the limits, having noted how the "radar" sometimes misses due to road conditions. Vehicle is a 2017 Elantra Limited ultimate upgrade.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
"Automakers are very cautious about fully *autonomous braking systems for obvious liability reasons. If a car that’s supposed to brake itself *doesn’t and hits something, who gets sued? The *automaker? The supplier who provided the *braking system? The vehicle owner? Or all of the above?"

From what I read, the driver is liable, these systems are strictly for backup, and the driver should not become dependent on them. So if this is the case, why have them?

Dealer asked me if I wanted the Ultimate package, just said, no thanks. Even have to pull over to a gas station to clean my headlights, if I can't see, how can these sensors see? Shop manual says they have to be clean, kind of impossible when they are putting road salt all over the roads.

Understand on some vehicles, they can be turned off.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
You should be driving the car, not letting the car take over. Any added safety feature is just that, added in case it's needed. Someone else posted a video asking why theirs didn't work, when in the video you could see the car ahead brake lights on, and they just let theirs run into it. With plenty of time to stop had they drove the car themselves.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Ha, way to busy when driving to look out for potholes and construction debris on the roads rather than daydreaming I am a rock star singing on a stage.

Mass majority of so-called accidents with my family and me was being rear-ended when legally stopped with no way to avoid getting hit with a red light or even with vehicles ahead of you.

So there are drivers that definitely need these autonomous devices, but what can they offer to prevent from getting hit?

Intensity of radar waves decrease by the square of the distance, what would happen if a large bird like a crow flies past that radar? Would this slam on your brakes causing a mile long pile up on an interstate? That bird flying so close, even without out hitting it would send a very high reflected pulse, wonder if they considered this.

·
Registered
56 Posts
So long as the lead car is seen by the radar the vehicle will command as much deceleration as needed. If the car pulls out very close while you are traveling fast there is a good chance it will chime the FCW and start pre-emptive braking followed by the AEB activating right before impact.

The only hazard is if the vehicle in front of you stops before the system targets it. By that time you should already be aware he's there and brake on your own. This happens at traffic lights too, if you have ACC on and come up on still traffic the system wont detect them.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Don't want to sound old school on this subject, did get the opportunity to fly a couple of planes with auto pilot. Without it, can be very tiring, trying to maintain direction and altitude with cross winds, up and down drafts. But not quite so crowded up there, and flying with other people with lots of training, have to pass a strict medical test and does have an 80 year history.

Not the case with vehicle driving, pass a simple 50 question test and drive around the block a couple of times. With my kids, driving tests were cancelled with a 1/4" of snow on the ground, zero on highway driving and nothing about driving even on an interstate and really no medical or psychological tests. Been hit by drunks, seizure prone people and even mentally challenged.

Driving on road salt roads, splashes the front of your vehicle. not only dims your headlamps, but fouls both your camera and radar.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder if the 2017 Elantra trims that didn't come with adaptive cruise control (ACC) have it programmed into the ECM anyways. To enable it all we would need is the front sonar sensor and someone who can enable the ACC in the ECM. This would be after warranty expires of course. Apparently people have done it to Ford trucks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just in case my original post wasn't completely clear, I drive the car, I don't let it drive itself. In fact, I often override the SCC when I don't like what it's doing. But to clarify: I see the commercials where the harried mom is looking at something else, and someone drives out from a cross street, and her car stops (or slows drastically). I'm merely curious if the Elantra's SCC does the same, or not. I'm not willing to let things go to that point just to find out... But thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
845 Posts
@landers3 - Not sure what you mean by "I always do my own braking when it's too close for comfort." Personally, I try to do my braking when it's NOT too close for comfort, or keep a safe distance and look ahead to anticipate slowdowns to keep from using the brakes if possible. (Maybe you just typed it wrong--not trying to be a d**k or anything.)

I don't have SCC or AEB, so I can't tell you anything from experience, but the owner's manual has a few words on the topic:
• A vehicle which moves into your lane from an adjacent lane cannot be recognized by the radar until it is in the radar’s detection range.
• The radar may not detect immediately when a vehicle cuts in suddenly...

also...
When using the Smart Cruise Control take the following precautions:
• If an emergency stop is necessary, you must apply the brakes. The vehicle cannot be stopped by using the Smart Cruise Control System.
• The Smart Cruise Control System cannot recognize a stopped vehicle, pedestrians or an oncoming vehicle. Always look ahead cautiously
to prevent unexpected and sudden situations from occurring.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Comfort level addressed...

@landers3 - Not sure what you mean by "I always do my own braking when it's too close for comfort." Personally, I try to do my braking when it's NOT too close for comfort, or keep a safe distance and look ahead to anticipate slowdowns to keep from using the brakes if possible. (Maybe you just typed it wrong--not trying to be a d**k or anything.)

I don't have SCC or AEB, so I can't tell you anything from experience, but the owner's manual has a few words on the topic:
• A vehicle which moves into your lane from an adjacent lane cannot be recognized by the radar until it is in the radar’s detection range.
• The radar may not detect immediately when a vehicle cuts in suddenly...

also...
When using the Smart Cruise Control take the following precautions:
• If an emergency stop is necessary, you must apply the brakes. The vehicle cannot be stopped by using the Smart Cruise Control System.
• The Smart Cruise Control System cannot recognize a stopped vehicle, pedestrians or an oncoming vehicle. Always look ahead cautiously
to prevent unexpected and sudden situations from occurring.
Appreciate the detailed answer. No offense taken, BTW. But comfort levels certainly vary between individual drivers. I'm pretty conservative, start braking when I feel it's necessary. Which is not necessarily when the SCC decides to brake. That my comfort level.

But the question was intended to address the situation seen in TV commercials where the driver is distracted, and a car pulls out from side street (i.e., at right angle to travel), and the commercial appears to show the distracted one's car throw on the brakes automatically. Said driver then emits a big sigh of relief...

The Hyunday manual states "cannot recognize a stopped vehicle". My question restated: "is a car moving at right angles to my car seen as a stopped vehicle by the Hyundai SCC?" It's really theoretical, since it's way outside my "comfort level" to find out if my car would brake in such a situation.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
2016 HSH Ultimate with SCC: The front radar has a very arrow field, or it would be stopping for everything you are passing. IF the car comes in the field of the radar, it will react and slow the car or brake the car. Mine, to a full stop. Should someone come into the radar field when you are doing 40 - 70 and hit the brakes. I don't think you or the SCC will avoid an accident, of course tons of variations will apply. I have 20K miles on mine now, and only use cruise control on highways or 40 mph and higher roads. It has always reacted to cars in it's field. The best is the radar can tell if someone is slowing just a bit. I have wondered many times why I am braking, and then see the brake lights way ahead.

Most accidents are lack of attention, talking to passengers, looking at the radio/GPS, etc. The SCC will do what it was intended.. slow you down and possibly slam on the brakes and stop. Only a couple of times the car really hit the brakes until I got on them. I'm not going to experiment with my car, but it has always reacted quick to cars slowing and stopping.

There is a video out there of someone saying her identical car like mine will not "stop" the car. Many of the comments are.. what were you doing as your foot should have been on the brakes long before she banged into the car. I believe her SCC was either off (they can be turned off via lots of screens commands) or not functioning (one from this forum said the SCC would not turn on, as an error was shown), hence the ability to turn them off and act like regular cruise control.

My wife that drove with me for 2 days to TN at 75 mph on Rt 81 and loves SCC and it has slowed the car when other pulled in front of her.
MY SCC will not hit the brakes if someone pulls in front of me as long as the car ahead is going even a hare faster. It will gently let off the gas until it reaches that "bar" length. I have not had someone cut really close in front of me, yet... and I live in Jersey !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ACC, FCW, & AEB all active, will it brake...?

That's is for the ACC. The FCW, AEB and pedestrian detection have different requirements to activate.
I have all the above active. The manual sort of implies but doesn't state specifically that a car pulling in front of mine at right angles to my travel, could trigger the AEB system. Seems to say "maybe, depending". Like, "in accordance with collision risk levels."

Just curious, it's hypothetical. Visualize a TV commercial showing a car pulling out from a side street, right in front of a mom driving with kids, slightly distracted, and her car reacts with automatic emergency braking (not sure if hers actually stops completely). So is the Hyundai system also supposed to do this? Sense a car moving at right angles to mine? Again, I'm not going to try this myself...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Around hear a farm tractor pulling a wagon can pull out in front of you. Is smart cruise suppose to be hands free? Or does is just slow down and follow at 10 mph.

Just hit cancel, wow, that's a lot of work, downshift, brake if necessary, look for clear passing lane and try to get around the darn thing. Oh, have to hit resume. If on the interstate with someone slow up head, already in the passing lane long before getting there.

Never use it in town, would wear out the resume button, just having problems comprehending the value of having smart cruise control.

·
22,788 Posts
I have not had someone cut really close in front of me, yet... and I live in Jersey !
It works!!!! Oh, boy!!!! It not only works, but chirps at you. The AEB gets involved. If you weren’t paying attention before, you will when s*** starts happening that you didn’t plan on.:grin2:

There are 3 available sensing options on the User programmable menus. I have mine on the fastest alert. “Advanced,” I think.

Ever hold the cruise button down for a couple seconds to decrease speeds in increments of 5 mph? Drop it 10-15 mph and feel the brakes engage, evidenced by the 3rd brake light illuminating.

I don’t like hospitals. And I retired from one. I saw too many scary things. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts