Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 HSH Limited / 2016 HSH Limited
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see how often other drivers use the features.

I feel like a pilot when I startup

Smart Cruise --> Check
Lane Keep Assist --> Check
Auto Hold --> Check
Sport Mode --> Semi Check (if I'm in the mood)

I've gotten to the point I don't know if I could drive a car without all the bells and whistles anymore. :p.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited Stormy Sea
41 Posts

Smart Cruise --> Check
Auto Hold --> Check

I've gotten to the point I don't know if I could drive a car without all the bells and whistles anymore. :p.
Everything except sport mode. Love the tech in this car

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts
It really depends on how far I'm going and the mood I'm in at the time.

·
Premium Member
2021 Phantom Black Sonata
48 Posts
hmmmn, I haven't tried auto hold or LKA yet.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm like you...

Smart Cruise --> I even use it in day to day traffic and on my commute with 45MPH four lane roads (see below for a tip).
Lane Keep Assist --> I think you mean Lane Follow Assist. It's the smarter of the two similar features and actually centers the car in its lane. It's the one activated by the steering wheel icon.
Auto Hold --> Constantly.
Sport Mode --> I use Sport Mode on the highway when more responsiveness and heavier steering weight is helpful. I hate the red gauges. You can set Custom to sport/sport and you get Sport Mode settings with the standard gauge display.

I'll add Surround View Monitor. I'm conditioned to activate it any time I'm pulling in to a parking spot. The front cowl is very low and the camera helps in making sure it doesn't get scraped against a curb stop. It's also a great tool to make sure you're centered between the lines.

Here the SCC tip. On other Hyundai's and on my previous car you can set the reaction time for stopping and following to fast/normal/slow. Fast has narrower gaps and is probably closest to the way people drive themselves. In the Sonata reaction time is mapped to the drive mode setting. All but sport is set to slow and sport is set to normal. Slow is so slow that when following another car from a stop it leaves a football field of distance between you and the other car. Normal is far better but IMHO still unnaturally slow at following. I miss fast which paced other cars the way I would. Fast is available because you can see it in diagnostic mode but since SCC settings are hard mapped to drive modes in the Sonata there's no way to activate it. I'll use Sport Mode sometimes in slower traffic just to get better reaction time from the SCC.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
what little freeway driving i do, i notice, or feel like, lka likes the left side of the road. so, if we are in the left lane, and there are cement barriers and no shoulder, its kinda scary. also, i think it makes a helluva lot more corrections than i do. kinda like bouncing off the rails on a pool table, go left, correct right, correct left, etc. it dont like to just use the lanes to keep centered, which i can do. the smart cruise leaves too much space from the car in front. all i get is dumba$$e$ cutting in front. it is ok if there is light traffic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
what little freeway driving i do, i notice, or feel like, lka likes the left side of the road.
LKA and LFA are two different things. LKA is set via the navigation setup screen and nudges you when you're approaching or over a line. LFA is activated by the steering wheel icon on the right side of the steering wheel controls. LFA does an excellent job of lane centering. You do have to watch when you're using it because if the painted lines disappear it deactivates. You can tell when it's tracking a painted line because it shows the line in the dash and HUD. The line (either left or right) goes blank when it's not tracking. When the steering wheel icon is green in the dash and HUD that indicates LFA is active. When it turns white it isn't.

Here's an example of it tracking. The left and right lines are white and the steering wheel icon is green.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Y'all are correct, I meant LFA, not LKA... although I do leave LKA on as well.

As for the SCC tip, I agree completely. I try to stay in eco mode as I really enjoy the high mpg I get in the hybrid. But I also like to switch to sport mode when in stop/go traffic or on the highway as I feel bad when traffic starts to move and I'm just creeping along. I also prefer sport mode for SCC on the highway so I don't slow traffic down around when the car in front of me speeds back up.

I have also noticed that my LFA tends to like the left side of the road over the right. Most of the time it does a very good job of staying centered, but every now and then, it's like it sees a squirrel and just wants to go say hi. I don't normally just let the LFA have full control (except for some long stretches of straight road I take to work). I mostly just let it assist me while driving to make my life easier.

The only time I have noticed the pool table effect is when it is really windy, or if I am on a road that has an above-average slope for water drainage. Most of the time it works great. I could be a little biased though as I understand that it is an assistance feature and not an autopilot feature.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited 1.6T, 2018 Limited 2.4L, 2015 Limited 2.4L
367 Posts
Smart Cruise --> On long trips, with highway roads
Lane Follow Assist --> same as above
Auto Hold --> whenever I am in line and have to do a lot of stop and go (not in traffic)
Sport Mode --> When I'm in a speedy mood
Surround View Monitor--> Every single time I stop.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Smart Cruise --> On long trips, with highway roads
Lane Follow Assist --> same as above
Auto Hold --> whenever I am in line and have to do a lot of stop and go (not in traffic)
Sport Mode --> When I'm in a speedy mood
Surround View Monitor--> Every single time I stop.
All of above (except sport mode), but I would add the auto-high beam function.

The one thing I really dislike, though, is how the SCC slows WAY too late for my taste when approaching a stopped vehicle. My wife’s Chrysler Pacifica can do a nice, comfortable decel to a stop - My Sonata does it like a teenager. And, yes, my following distance is set to max.

Reactions: OHoh

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All of above (except sport mode), but I would add the auto-high beam function.

The one thing I really dislike, though, is how the SCC slows WAY too late for my taste when approaching a stopped vehicle. My wife’s Chrysler Pacifica can do a nice, comfortable decel to a stop - My Sonata does it like a teenager. And, yes, my following distance is set to max.
I hear you on the coming upon a stopped car.... If I'm going faster than about 40, I just hit the brakes myself, just too close for comfort to let it do its thing.

I also don't like that if the car in front of me slows down as it changes lanes, SCC waits until about 3 seconds after the car has changed lanes to finally start speeding up again.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Smart Cruise --> Check
Auto Hold --> Check

I only use it on the open road without traffic. You will get better MPG becuase when it slows down, down shifts (no friction brakes) which provides more regeneration than braking. But its kinda jerky.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts