Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a small leak from what appears to be the timing cover (lower left of engine, right around water pump). Leak is pretty small and doesn't seem to contribute to oil loss in between OCI's (which are 4-4.5k using synthetic). Yes, I know I can go longer but this is an around-town car with frequent starts/stops and rarely getting oil up to full temp.

Pictures below show black gold around the water pump area towards the rear of the engine in a 14 SFS. Looks like some messy sealant/gasket work from the factory with the blobs of gray goo protruding out.

Does anyone know if this comes with an oil change as well or if the expected oil loss is negligible? I'm assuming no change and just top-off anything that dribbled out.

Should I ask for anything else to be inspected like crank/cam seals; haven't seen any TSB's on those peeing oil? The car has 34k on it so I'm not expecting any issues but while they're in there...

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same here. Warranty re-seal service done by the dealer less than a week ago. Still monitoring the situation. The dealer has trouble getting the cam pulley screw off. Need over-night work at the dealer for the re-seal work. They will change the oil only, not the oil filter though. Try to get at least semi-synthetic oil for refill.

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty close to the OCI so I might just drive the remaining x-miles on their lube and drain it.

Did you mean crank pulley or cam? There shouldn't be any reason they're touching the cam's unless they're replacing seals or really really screwed up. Otherwise, seems pretty straight forward.

BTW, the pics uploaded upside down for some reason so the belt shown is the top of the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hope he meant crank, no cam involved. There not too bad, just let it dry, most say 24hrs. but dealers like to rush.

·
Registered
2014 SFS 2.4l
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, this will be warranty work(or at least better be).

Just wanted to know if I should specifically ask them to check out anything else while they have the cover off. But at he same time, don’t want to be the customer that tells them how to do their job.

But then again, some of the stories sbr tells...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.