Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in searching for an answer to my question, I found out that lots of civics came with cracking paint from the factory. Crazy.

Anyway, I found a particle under the paint on the roof of the car. It actually had a "C" drawn around it in chalk. I thought the C was some kind of dealer note, and rubbed it off. In doing so, I felt a particle about the size of a large grain of sand under the paint. So now I am thinking, someone spotted it during the dealer inspection, and marked it with a circle that looked like a C, but it was never dealt with.

So, I am not feeling like it taints the quality of the car toooo much, but tiny things like this bug me to no end - to clarify I've found at least 3 imperfections in my car, which people can't even see when I point them out (I'm not crazy).

Should I get the dealer to fix this, and risk a visible patch on the roof, or just let it be? My concern is that in some years time, this will become a point of wear and eventually become a hole/chip/bubble prematurely.

What do you guys think? Should I just stop being so anal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can appreciate your concerns and frustration with a brand new car. You're hearing this from someone who is very particular (anal) about the finish on his daily driver and show cars. However, if it's at all possible for you to live with this imperfection I'd recommend letting it go. After you've had the car for a while, it's very likely that it will receive some stone chips, scratches, etc and that flaw that you've found probably won't be quite as noticable in your mind.
I've seen some attempts at making some very minor paint repairs that turned into much more glaring flaws. Unless I could be convinced that the repair would be made to look 100% like new and be just as durable as the factory paint, I'd be afraid to try it.

Don

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I got my 2005 Sonata there was a paint flaw on the hood. I had it taken back to the dealer and repainted. They did an amazing job, you couldn't even tell that section of the hood was repainted because they blended it so well.

5 years later, i have several very tiny rust spots ONLY on that part of the hood. I'm convinced the new paint compromised the original protection somehow. So, IMO, since its just the roof and noone will likely see it or care, and this isn't a show car, just let it be. Wax the **** out of it and when you think about it, just drive faster till you forget. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (CitizenChan @ May 5 2010, 08:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320010
Should I get the dealer to fix this, and risk a visible patch on the roof, or just let it be? My concern is that in some years time, this will become a point of wear and eventually become a hole/chip/bubble prematurely.

What do you guys think? Should I just stop being so anal?
It all depends on what's under the paint. If it's something like sand or a paint flake, you'll be fine. If it's
rubber, tape, or metal, it may eventually compromise the paint.

I had a brand new Mazda 626, and found a small bump in the paint on the hood. Not wanting to risk an
imperfect repair for a barely noticeable flaw, I chose not to get it fixed. Bad decision! After the warranty
expired, the paint began to bubble and flake off in a thumb nail sized area. I wish I had got it fixed, but
that was hind sight.

Maybe you can talk to the dealer, and ask them to log a complaint, and agree to fix it should it worsen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (bobad @ May 6 2010, 09:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320161
It all depends on what's under the paint. If it's something like sand or a paint flake, you'll be fine. If it's
rubber, tape, or metal, it may eventually compromise the paint.

I had a brand new Mazda 626, and found a small bump in the paint on the hood. Not wanting to risk an
imperfect repair for a barely noticeable flaw, I chose not to get it fixed. Bad decision! After the warranty
expired, the paint began to bubble and flake off in a thumb nail sized area. I wish I had got it fixed, but
that was hind sight.

Maybe you can talk to the dealer, and ask them to log a complaint, and agree to fix it should it worsen.
Thanks guys. I think I will just have to let it go, but as a precaution, I will let the dealer know about it, in case it causes some issue later. I think it should be fine, but gotta cover my butt. Thanks for the ideas and comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts