Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a long time since I have posted here but I need some help.

Vehicle:
01 Santa Fe LX 2.7 AWD w/112k miles

Symptoms:
- Slow Start (when cranking takes 2 full seconds before it will turn over and you can hear the engine cranking slower, use to turn over right away)
- Very Strong Burning Rubber Smell

History:
Last January it got down to -20 here in Albuquerque and I would have to go to work at that time. About a week later (when it was still getting down to about 0) I was driving home from work when I smelled a slight smell of burning rubber. I thought it was the car in front of me. The next day I had the same thing. It continued for about a month till the temps rose a bit and then went away. I could never find the cause. I then went all spring, summer, and fall without any problems on my Santa Fe.
As the temps begun to drop over the past 6 weeks we started to smell the burning rubber again, at first only when I would start the car till it warmed up. About 2 weeks ago the car started cranking slower and would take longer to turn over and within the past week I can smell the burning rubber smell even when I had the engine at temp.
There's not any idiot lights on. The car is running fine except for what was mentioned, gets up to temp and stays there (a little below the middle on the gage like normal).
I pop the hood and looked at the belt, looked good (no cracks). Checked all the fluids and the only thing that's low is the coolant.

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Slow crank --> aged weaker battery,, is battery pushing 4+ yr old ??

Smell --> AWD ---> look for the transfer scae to be leaking 80/90 gear oil, it'll be all ditry/oily. and the tin at front exhaust pipe will have oil residues and oil that is being baked by the high exhaust temp heat..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slow crank --> aged weaker battery,, is battery pushing 4+ yr old ??

Smell --> AWD ---> look for the transfer scae to be leaking 80/90 gear oil, it'll be all ditry/oily. and the tin at front exhaust pipe will have oil residues and oil that is being baked by the high exhaust temp heat..
Thank you. The transfer case is in the rear of the vehicle correct? I forgot to add that I see white smoke coming out of the grill when the car is not at temp and I'm sitting at a light. I'll edit my original post.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As the temps begun to drop over the past 6 weeks we started to smell the burning rubber again, at first only when I would start the car till it warmed up. About 2 weeks ago the car started cranking slower and would take longer to turn over and within the past week I can smell the burning rubber smell even when I had the engine at temp. Also I can see some white smoke coming from the grill of the car if it's not at running temp and I'm sitting at a light.
There's not any idiot lights on. The car is running fine except for what was mentioned, gets up to temp and stays there (a little below the middle on the gage like normal).
I pop the hood and looked at the belt, looked good (no cracks). Checked all the fluids and the only thing that's low is the coolant.

Thanks in advance.
Edited above

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update, I wanted to thank sbr for the help.

I replaced the battery last week and no problems starting ever sense.

I took the Santa Fe back to Midas (they just changed the oil 3 weeks ago) after noticing that it was leaking oil right around the oil pan (I didn't pull the skid plates, just saw the oil in that area) and they said that they found a nylon washer that goes between the oil pan and the plug that had "failed." So they replaced it and topped off my oil. Apparently my nose is horrible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So it's been a long time since I have posted here but I need some help.

Vehicle:
01 Santa Fe LX 2.7 AWD w/112k miles

Symptoms:
  • Slow Start (when cranking takes 2 full seconds before it will turn over and you can hear the engine cranking slower, use to turn over right away)
  • Very Strong Burning Rubber Smell
History:
Last January it got down to -20 here in Albuquerque and I would have to go to work at that time. About a week later (when it was still getting down to about 0) I was driving home from work when I smelled a slight smell of burning rubber. I thought it was the car in front of me. The next day I had the same thing. It continued for about a month till the temps rose a bit and then went away. I could never find the cause. I then went all spring, summer, and fall without any problems on my Santa Fe.
As the temps begun to drop over the past 6 weeks we started to smell the burning rubber again, at first only when I would start the car till it warmed up. About 2 weeks ago the car started cranking slower and would take longer to turn over and within the past week I can smell the burning rubber smell even when I had the engine at temp.

Thanks in advance.
I think it's because the exhaust is Very close to spare wheel so a fire proof foil might cure the problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts