Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Santa Fe. When fueling, the pump will shut off but if I work at it I can get another 2-3 gallons in. This happens at all fuel stops with or with out the environmental fume recapturing stuff. I had a 2005 Santa Fe that did the same thing.
When fueling my wife's 2003 Sonata, its full when the pump shuts off the first time.
This was even more of a problem when fueling in Missouri where they capture the fumes. Took forever.
Anyone have a work around or is this just the way the Santa Fe is?

Bruce

·
3,861 Posts
My 09 Limited does the exact same thing. It shuts off before the tank is completely full. I made the mistake of continually squeezing the pump and the tank over flowed. I now just let it stop and just leave it alone. My Sonata is the exact opposite, it shuts off when I can see fuel in the filler tube. Either way from reading here it's not good to max out the fuel.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I always stop at the first "click", which (on previous vehicles I've owned anyway) usually leaves a liter or two of empty space. But 2-3 gallons sounds like a lot. Does your gauge read full?

·
Registered
68 Posts
QUOTE (bnelsonr @ May 25 2010, 04:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326116
Anyone have a work around or is this just the way the Santa Fe is?

Bruce
It's the way it is.
The fuel tank is divided in two halves, but fuel enters on one side only. I think that as the tank gets fuller the transfer to the to other half gets slower.
The other side effect of this arrangement, is that there is always plenty of fuel left when the fuel light comes on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
While 2-3 gallons seems like a lot of space, you have to be careful on over-filling because raw gas will get sucked into the vapor recovery tube (designed to reduce fuel vapor emissions) and you will gas-log (as opposed to water-log) your charcoal canister. I've seen this done in the past, which resulted in throwing a code and requiring replacement of the charcoal purge canister.

If it spooks you that much, you may want to take it back to the dealer. It may be that your fuel gauge is reading incorrectly, and you're showing empty when you really have several gallons till hitting reserve. (reserve on the Santy should be just under 2 gallons, if memory serves me correctly.)

There has been some discussion about whether the Santa Fe is calibrated (fuel gauge and trip computer) to the Sonata tank, which is much smaller (and would answer your question - not from an overfill standpoint of shut-off, but from a standpoint of the tank showing empty when it's really not), but I don't know this to be fact.

I say...if it bugs you...dealer! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Although my 2010 Santa Fe does not do this, my 2005 Santa Fe did stop fueling every so often. The problem was a valve at the bottom of the fill pipe and the dealer replaced it under warranty and the car never did it again.

QUOTE (ThunderLizard @ May 26 2010, 10:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326500
While 2-3 gallons seems like a lot of space, you have to be careful on over-filling because raw gas will get sucked into the vapor recovery tube (designed to reduce fuel vapor emissions) and you will gas-log (as opposed to water-log) your charcoal canister. I've seen this done in the past, which resulted in throwing a code and requiring replacement of the charcoal purge canister.

If it spooks you that much, you may want to take it back to the dealer. It may be that your fuel gauge is reading incorrectly, and you're showing empty when you really have several gallons till hitting reserve. (reserve on the Santy should be just under 2 gallons, if memory serves me correctly.)

There has been some discussion about whether the Santa Fe is calibrated (fuel gauge and trip computer) to the Sonata tank, which is much smaller (and would answer your question - not from an overfill standpoint of shut-off, but from a standpoint of the tank showing empty when it's really not), but I don't know this to be fact.

I say...if it bugs you...dealer! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts