Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday was a super slow day at work, so I decided to bring the ol' girl in the shop to fix the rust on the lower trunk lid.. then I wanted to see what the upper lid would look like if the "H" emblem was gone :D Originally I wanted to get a lip spoiler for it, but now seeing how it looks, I'm not so sure? Either way, I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out! (sidenote: the amount of Sonata's we get in the shop for warranty rust work is appalling!)

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My guy decided that it wasn't deep enough to warrant uni-spotting, so we put a layer of fiberglass first, then smoothed everything out with the two-part putty. Then I primed and sanded that to perfection, applied the basecoat followed by three coats of clear. I'm lucky my Harbour Grey is a very compliant color when it comes to matching, unlike alot of other Hyundai factory colors. Came out smooth as glass! So happy with it! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's rust, caught it early. Bubbles started behind the plate (from vibrations) and then I noticed about 4 other spots where it was starting to bubble up. You can see in the picture all the spots on the lower lid that are bare metal were corroding. Take a look at yours, I'll bet theres a few. I probably do 2-3 Sonata's a week either for trunk lid (around the chrome molding) and plate area, hoods (again around the chrome molding), and roofs. It's unreal, although we do warranty for Nissan's and GM's also and at the rate those things rust, ours is minimal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts