Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since about 5000 km, I have had a knocking metal rattling sound happening when I accelerate up a hill or a slight incline. It has happened a few times on flat road as well just more prevalent on the uphill battles. Now I assumed it was jus something loose that was rattling since I installed a cold air intake and had installed hid lights(I thought the ballast was banging on something). I tried and tried to find the rattle but I had no success. I read up on here about other people suffering the same problem and that running higher octane gas would solve it well I tried 89 and it was still there just not as much and I recently started using 91 and its gone haven't heard it at all. I'm not really happy because I bought this car for the good gas mileage and the ability to use 87 since my last car used 91 and it was too expensive to run. I dot really know what I should do now its still cheaper overall compared to my last car but I wish I could buy cheap gas and not have to worry.

Anyone have thoughts/comments feel free to share

·
Registered
660 Posts
Try some octane booster additive ans see if you can get the same results using 87 again. Are you driving at high altitude? Maybe the timing can be slightly adjusted for your driving environment too.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It appears that all owners hear the same noise to some extent under certain conditions.

I don't experience it as much as people on here post. It goes away if I floor it rather than lightly press on the pedal whether I'm going uphill or slightly accelerating.

But I'd say that 9 out of 10 times I don't have this problem. It's touch and go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Now I assumed it was jus something loose that was rattling since I installed a cold air intake
Did it knock before you installed the cold air intake? If not it may be tied to that modification in that maybe fuel/air mixture is not right.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did it knock before you installed the cold air intake? If not it may be tied to that modification in that maybe fuel/air mixture is not right.
That would be my thoughts as well. Mine runs regular with no problem

·
Registered
838 Posts
This could be the problem, you're possibly running too lean with the cold air intake! :eek:

The ECM will relearn the air/fuel mixture only when it's fully warmed up (closed loop mode). Otherwise it will always default to factory preset settings, if you just drop it into a cold engine (open loop mode) on start up :rolleyes:

Take off the cold air intake, put it all back to stock temporarily. Run it a bit like that to take it out of the "lean running condition". Next, when you're ready to do this again, You must let your engine warm up to operating temp (closed loop mode). Then quickly put your CAI back in while still warmed up. Then start it back up, give it about 2 mins to idle, then drive it like you stole it! The O2 sensor should now read the extra air you're giving it, and adjust the fuel mixture to suit! ;)

You may notice some hesitation, or minor rough running, as the ECM adjusts to the new mixture, but it will adjust quickly, and the next time you get on it, (go thru the gears) it will be smooth, and you'll hear, & feel, the extra power, each, & everytime! But, possibly lose a couple MPG :rolleyes:

P.S. This should stop the pinging from running too lean.

By the way, I just did this on my 2011 Sportage EX AWD 2.4L, with a K&N air filter, and after the 3rd attempt it worked like a charm :D , I learned this by accident. The first 2 attempts I took off the Neg battery cable once, no difference?, then removed the ECM fuse, no difference?? Each time the engine was cold. Finally, after a short ride to the store, on an impulse I switched the stock air filter, for the K&N again, with the engine warm, and Walla! It worked ;)

On the first 2 attempts, the Sporty started to become sluggish after a short while, & gas mileage got better :confused: So the stock filter went back in, & the car ran better in between?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This could be the problem, you're possibly running too lean with the cold air intake! :eek:

The ECM will relearn the air/fuel mixture only when it's fully warmed up (closed loop mode). Otherwise it will always default to factory preset settings, if you just drop it into a cold engine (open loop mode) on start up :rolleyes:

Take off the cold air intake, put it all back to stock temporarily. Run it a bit like that to take it out of the "lean running condition". Next, when you're ready to do this again, You must let your engine warm up to operating temp (closed loop mode). Then quickly put your CAI back in while still warmed up. Then start it back up, give it about 2 mins to idle, then drive it like you stole it! The O2 sensor should now read the extra air you're giving it, and adjust the fuel mixture to suit! ;)

You may notice some hesitation, or minor rough running, as the ECM adjusts to the new mixture, but it will adjust quickly, and the next time you get on it, (go thru the gears) it will be smooth, and you'll hear, & feel, the extra power, each, & everytime! But, possibly lose a couple MPG :rolleyes:

P.S. This should stop the pinging from running too lean.

By the way, I just did this on my 2011 Sportage EX AWD 2.4L, with a K&N air filter, and after the 3rd attempt it worked like a charm :D , I learned this by accident. The first 2 attempts I took off the Neg battery cable once, no difference?, then removed the ECM fuse, no difference?? Each time the engine was cold. Finally, after a short ride to the store, on an impulse I switched the stock air filter, for the K&N again, with the engine warm, and Walla! It worked ;)

On the first 2 attempts, the Sporty started to become sluggish after a short while, & gas mileage got better :confused: So the stock filter went back in, & the car ran better in between?
I drove it around and then installed my cold air maybe I will try I again hopefully it works

·
Registered
838 Posts
Check this out: Difference Between Open and Closed Loop - ThirdGen.org

Now, if your O2 sensor sets the perfect A/F ratio when hot, then if you force more air in, it has to relearn that, and automatically add more fuel to keep that same ideal A/F ratio. Doesn't that make sense? You Bet! ;)

Hence an increase of Power!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Since about 5000 km, I have had a knocking metal rattling sound happening when I accelerate up a hill or a slight incline. It has happened a few times on flat road as well just more prevalent on the uphill battles. Now I assumed it was jus something loose that was rattling since I installed a cold air intake and had installed hid lights(I thought the ballast was banging on something). I tried and tried to find the rattle but I had no success. I read up on here about other people suffering the same problem and that running higher octane gas would solve it well I tried 89 and it was still there just not as much and I recently started using 91 and its gone haven't heard it at all. I'm not really happy because I bought this car for the good gas mileage and the ability to use 87 since my last car used 91 and it was too expensive to run. I dot really know what I should do now its still cheaper overall compared to my last car but I wish I could buy cheap gas and not have to worry.

I too hear this noise when using either 87, 89 octane, more so with 87. Once you add 91 it goes away. My car is completely stock.

Petro Canada 89 is better then Shell 89 at least in my area. So I have been using PC 89.

I will be taking the car in for service soon, so I will mention to Hyundai what I have found. The last service they said the ECM update should resolve this along with the fuel system additive.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
87 octane, regular fuel, usually Shell because it's convenient, sometimes Chevron and always top tier fuel. No pinging or knocking, no problem.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine occasionally makes noise under certain acceleration, but I don't think it's "pinging". If it were actual pre-detonation, shouldn't the knock sensor should be retarding the engine resulting in a noticeable loss of engine output?

I think it's just harmonic vibrations when the engine is under certain stress, and perhaps running better fuel reduces said stress.

Just my 5 cents. :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in the Philippines we've had a lot of knocking issues with the Accent. Through our experience updating the ECU will fix that knocking engine but will have a far worse issue than the knocking one like: having low engine power; or an extremely bad gas mileage as in 5km/L. A lot of us like myself got our ECUs replaced but after a few miles running it comes back. The only solution and best so far is to stick with the higher octane fuels, hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Have you checked with your dealer? It should be covered under warranty. If it's pinging, then something it out of whack. The car is designed to run on 87

It might be a weak anti-knock sensor or some carbon build-up or some other sensor. It's pretty expensive having to use more costly gas in order to mask what might be something that's out of spec in your engine.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Interesting, you want it for the mpg then modify it with the intake for more HP. Guess those engineers at Hyundai need to go back to school

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Been happening for a while. This was before I put my intake and I just use the higher fuel now to make it go away, it's better for the engine anyway but the cost is annoying.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts