Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't think it used to do this. Maybe a few hundred miles ago I changed my CV axles and drained & refilled 4-5 qts of transmission fluid and it's been doing this ever since.

I drive an automatic and I always feel a slight jerk when I go from around 20->25mph and also when I go from around 35->40mph. It seems to do it when it's hot or cold, but I never feel it when slowing down.

It's probably unrelated but I did notice it went away for a moment after I added about 5gal of gas the other day.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Where'd you get the axles from?
They could have excessive free play.

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
250 Posts
He'll answer anything regardless if he knows what he's talking about. Your axle is not doing this,
So how are you helping, smart guy?
OP what type of transmission fluid did you put in it? If this problem actually started immediately after you did the axles, I would look closely on everything that was touched during that job.
Could be a drivetrain mount.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how are you helping, smart guy?
OP what type of transmission fluid did you put in it? If this problem actually started immediately after you did the axles, I would look closely on everything that was touched during that job.
Could be a drivetrain mount.
I used Idemitsu type HK.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Infrequent misfire is also a possibility.
How many miles on the plugs?
Use a scanner to look for pending codes, misfire count, fuel trim numbers, etc.
Does this have the option to shift the transmission manually?
You can try shifting back and fourth between gears [while driving at a steady speed] to try and make it act up.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
[/ignore] "Crapola" is in the eye of the beholder. At least I'm trying to be helpful. [ignore]

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Infrequent misfire is also a possibility.
How many miles on the plugs?
Use a scanner to look for pending codes, misfire count, fuel trim numbers, etc.
Does this have the option to shift the transmission manually?
You can try shifting back and fourth between gears [while driving at a steady speed] to try and make it act up.
There's barely 1K on my spark plugs as well as the ignition coils. My scanner doesn't seem to show anything about misfires; you wouldn't happen to know of one that does with this car do you?

For the shifting test, can you elaborate a little about how I do it? I've never used manual mode on this car and I'm nervous about breaking something.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
So lets rule out misfires.
I thought of misfires because I've seen an engine that occasionally "hiccuped" when cruising at odd times.
Turned out to be a plug with a cracked center insulator.
That was a 1976 Chevy straight 6, if you're curious.

Re manual shifting, the computers won't let you hurt anything or over rev etc.
Drive at say, a steady 30mph.
Switch to manual mode, then shift down one gear.
The rpm will jump up some, you'll feel the shift.
Then shift back up to the gear it had chosen. How does it feel?
Go back and forth a couple times.
Do the same thing at other speeds to feel other gear pairs.
I suppose yours, like mine, is in top gear by 40-45mph with light throttle, so no need to drive fast for this.

Reactions: kafoo29

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car is doing the same. I have a check engine light that clearly points to the coils. I have new ignition coils, wires, and am looking into replacing the harness which is crumbling and had to have wires reconnected and crimped.

·
Registered
2008 Optima LX 2.4
250 Posts
My car is doing the same. I have a check engine light that clearly points to the coils. I have new ignition coils, wires, and am looking into replacing the harness which is crumbling and had to have wires reconnected and crimped.
What is the trouble code in the ECM?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pulled my plugs today and noted they all had a similar degree of carbon fouling

I also drove around and constantly forced the jerk condition while recording fuel trim. It didn't seem to change my LTFT much, but whenever I felt the jerk, I often noticed my STFT would dip to around -11 or -12.

I suppose this would point to a rich condition. I'm not sure how to trace it down further since it's so specific.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts