Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a 2008 Santa Fe 3.3L 2WD a couple of weeks ago from a Hyundai dealer here in Ottawa. I have been driving it differently to test a few things just to see if there were any major issues. So far, there was nothing mechanical or electrical that I can see, but I did notice a few things.

1) When the driver's side window is all the way down, and you close the door, a very odd clunk can be heard, as if a metal piece is loose or something. As soon as the window is rolled up slightly (about an inch or so), the clunk goes away. This only happens for the driver's side door.

2) The rear driver's side door is not flush with the the body. Part of it is slightly sticking out. Unfortunately I did not notice this when I test-drove it. It's not a functional issue, it just is annoying to see.

3) This may or may not be an issue with the car, but when the driver's side doors are closed (either of them), you can hear a small clunk coming from the rear (around the fuel filler cap area). It's not a strange sound, it sounds more like the door locks or something like that. It also appears right after the door is closed, not when the door closes. So basically, you can hear the *thud* of the door, and then the clunk from the back.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues before?

Also, does anybody have any specific warranty details for Canadian vehicles? When I bought the car, I did not get anything. The salesman told me that the factory warranty is on the car, and not on the owner, so there was no paperwork to go with it. The website gives an overview, and then says "Refer to the Service Passport for complete details of Hyundai Warranties.", which is useless to me at this point.

Thanks!

P.S.: for anybody that is curious, the car was traded in for a 2010 Tuscon. It was previously owned by a couple, and has a clean claims history in both the US and Canada. It was not an ex-rental, and it looks like it was well-maintained. It has a set of extra winter tires, and the whole paint/electronic rust protection thing.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
You read my mind. A used car with misaligned doors and mysterious noises sounds like accident repairs that weren't quite done right. A close examination of the paint, for colour mismatches, overspray or small imperfections (like fish eyes or dust flecks) can confirm or deny this theory. I have not experienced any of these issues on my '08, which was purchased new.

Regarding the warranty, there is indeed nothing to go with it other than the booklet and owner card issued with the new vehicle. But you don't even need that. As long as it has a legitimate Canadian VIN you won't have any problems obtaining service.

Cheers from Ottawa,

Don

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 1 2010, 06:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318464
You read my mind. A used car with misaligned doors and mysterious noises sounds like accident repairs that weren't quite done right. A close examination of the paint, for colour mismatches, overspray or small imperfections (like fish eyes or dust flecks) can confirm or deny this theory. I have not experienced any of these issues on my '08, which was purchased new.

Regarding the warranty, there is indeed nothing to go with it other than the booklet and owner card issued with the new vehicle. But you don't even need that. As long as it has a legitimate Canadian VIN you won't have any problems obtaining service.

Cheers from Ottawa,

Don
Yea, that thought did cross my mind, but then I realized that the dealer would have too much to lose to lie when they sold the car (Bank Street Hyundai). Besides, it is a law in Ontario to fill out the OMVIC form with every used vehicle that is sold. It is basically a full disclosure of the vehicle. There is one part on the form that says "This motor vehicle has had structural damage and repairs, replacements or alterations to its structure". It is unchecked so I guess I'm in the clear.

I'm not sure what else to think. I will be booking an appointment to get it looked at next week or so.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (explicitspirit @ May 1 2010, 08:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318498
There is one part on the form that says "This motor vehicle has had structural damage and repairs, replacements or alterations to its structure". It is unchecked so I guess I'm in the clear.
Don't know for certain as to how it works in Canada, but it seems to me that there's an assumption that the previous owner would have to had to have disclosed any problems to the dealer, or the dealer would be in the clear for saying all was good... unless the dealer in question had been the one to have done any prior repairs, of course. Or is the dealer expected to inspect the vehicle carefully enough to spot any prior work?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The way I see it, it is the seller's responsibility to disclose any issues, not the buyer. In my case, the dealer would be the one responsible. I did see a vehicle history report that showed no claims, so the previous owner never had an accident that went through insurance. I think that if anything, it's a quality control issue...who knows, I have an appointment at the dealer next week to see what can be done.

I'm happy with the vehicle so far, I just hope that I don't get any weird surprises. If anything, it exceeded my expectations in terms of performance and economy. The 3.3 is a very gutsy engine for what it is, and I still average 11.8 l/100km (~20 mpg) with almost 90% city driving.

I just noticed today that one of the floor mat hinges in the back has come off...minor issue but it's another thing to fix :S I'm kind of disappointed, but I guess I can ask them to look at it when the look at the rattle in the door...

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (explicitspirit @ May 1 2010, 10:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318498
Yea, that thought did cross my mind, but then I realized that the dealer would have too much to lose to lie when they sold the car (Bank Street Hyundai). Besides, it is a law in Ontario to fill out the OMVIC form with every used vehicle that is sold. It is basically a full disclosure of the vehicle. There is one part on the form that says "This motor vehicle has had structural damage and repairs, replacements or alterations to its structure". It is unchecked so I guess I'm in the clear.
Don't be too sure. That definition leaves a little wiggle room for dealers to overlook minor body repairs, and as canderson suggests they do sometimes turn a blind eye to minor body repairs if the previous owner signs a "no damage" form. As for insurance claims history, that can easily be circumvented if the owner paid out-of-pocket for bodywork. People are known to do this after minor incidents, to avoid insurance claims, drunk-driving investigations, etc.

In any event, before getting too concerned about possible accident damage I would simply ask the dealer to look at these issues. They can probably fix them under warranty. Best of luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
And to answer some of your other questions...
QUOTE (explicitspirit @ May 1 2010, 01:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=318443
2) The rear driver's side door is not flush with the the body. Part of it is slightly sticking out. Unfortunately I did not notice this when I test-drove it. It's not a functional issue, it just is annoying to see.
I have the same issue with my newly purchased 09 Santy from Pathway (bought it last July) rear left door. It sticks out 1/8" to 3/16" of an inch. Never noticed it untuil I got it home. I bring my Santy to my personal mechanic for oil changes (I went to bring my Santy for it's first one to the dealer, got the "can you come on Thursday at 10 in 5 weeks"? and I give it to my mechanic instead) but I'll ask about it when I get there eventually as a new owner and I'll post back.

3) This may or may not be an issue with the car, but when the driver's side doors are closed (either of them), you can hear a small clunk coming from the rear (around the fuel filler cap area). It's not a strange sound, it sounds more like the door locks or something like that. It also appears right after the door is closed, not when the door closes. So basically, you can hear the *thud* of the door, and then the clunk from the back.
There's a rubber flapper where the gas cap is in behind the rear bumper shroud. Kind of looks like a dryer vent. You'll also
hear a thud when the back door closes 'cause of the licence plate.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...c=39609&hl=

Here's how I know about the flapper. You can see it in the second pic, left side.

·
Registered
202 Posts
1) When the driver's side window is all the way down, and you close the door, a very odd clunk can be heard, as if a metal piece is loose or something. As soon as the window is rolled up slightly (about an inch or so), the clunk goes away. This only happens for the driver's side door.

Sounds like the wiring harness for the power window console on the drivers door is "wagging" a bit and striking the window. I believe when you raise the window a bit, you're beyond where the wire bundle is. It could just be a production thing, or it could indicate some body work done on the door and a tie-down not replaced or connected. Just a thought.

One thing you can do: use a good little flashlight and look down into the top when the window is down. You may need to hold back the weatherstripping, but it may reveal the culprit!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I took my car to get it serviced. The rear door that's sticking out has been adjusted and is now perfect. As for the clunk in the door, the dealer ordered a new actuator for the window, which will be installed next week. Also, one of the carpet anchors in the back broke off, which will also be fixed next week when the new anchor arrives. I just wanted to share my experience with servicing. I heard that Canadians get shafted when compared to US customers, but everything seemed to go well.

I took it to Bank Street Hyundai by Dilawri in Ottawa. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful :)

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (explicitspirit @ May 8 2010, 12:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320785
I heard that Canadians get shafted when compared to US customers, but everything seemed to go well.

I took it to Bank Street Hyundai by Dilawri in Ottawa. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful :)
Glad to hear it, but don't tell the Doom Crew. You will ruin their whole internet experience :grin:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (explicitspirit @ May 7 2010, 10:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320785
I heard that Canadians get shafted when compared to US customers, but everything seemed to go well.
Canadians only seem to get into trouble when the problem being solved isn't fairly simple to fix, or relies on a TSB that they don't seem to want to ?acknowledge? in Canada. Once the diagnosis moves beyond "broke, see, replace" is when the fun starts - if you believe the posts here are representative of the problems.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ May 8 2010, 09:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320855
if you believe the posts here are representative of the problems.
Why would anyone believe that? Online forums are not random surveys; they are complaint magnets.

As for the disproportionate presence of Canadian stories (both positive and negative) in this forum, keep in mind that we Canucks are big internet users. Just look at the number of times my little home town of Ottawa comes up in this forum relative to New York, Atlanta or Los Angeles. We are also big Hyundai buyers. We were driving primitive little Ponys back when Madonna was still a virgin, and the trend has only grown since then.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ May 8 2010, 08:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320882
Why would anyone believe that? Online forums are not random surveys; they are complaint magnets.
Understood - that's true of any forum of this type. That wasn't the point.

I look at the origins of the users, and see about even numbers of posters from both sides of the border, and about 10X the complaints about service coming from Canada as I do the US users when it comes to known issues with these vehicles. It seems that Hyundai Canada is in denial - at your expense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts