Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when using the steering wheel to skip songs I have to push "down" rather than "up". Pushing "up" either restarts the song or goes back to the previous song. In all my other cars, or even random devices like MP3 players, if you push "up" it skips to the next song and if you push "down" it restarts or goes back to the previous song. So it's like this cars system is just reversed or something. Or am I just crazy?

Thanks,
Derek R.

·
Registered
2020 Sonata SEL Plus (+Tech Package)
402 Posts
It's great there are new users/owners coming on and interesting when they bring up the exact same issues we had a while back. Says something about the issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, they're reversed and it's rather annoying.
Here's a previous discussion.
Sorry for opening another discussion. I guess when I searched for it I didn't use the right selection of words to bring up relevant results.

It's great there are new users/owners coming on and interesting when they bring up the exact same issues we had a while back. Says something about the issues.
The disappointing thing is that the majority of the issues are software related and able to be fixed via an update. But the reality of the matter is that, like most car manufacturers, they'll likely wait until another model year to fix/change things.

I discovered most of the issues mentioned on this form myself before I bought the car because I always do a BCA (borrow car agreement) before I buy one. This allows me to take the car for a day or even overnight to play with it and make sure it works for my needs.

Then when I tell my local dealer or Hyundai directly about the issues they act as if they've never heard of any of them. At first they can't believe it does what I say it does. But once they figure out that's just the way it is and they can't fix it themselves, they just shrug it off "well it's still a good car do you want to buy it?"

I decided to because I needed another car and the new Sonata has way more features than others in it's class, regardless of its quirks. I might make some posts on the other things I've discovered if I can't find any discussions already started on them just to bring awareness.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think it makes sense the way it works now. Imagine a playlist with the song currently playing at the top of the list. If you want to skip to the next song you go down the list. Hence, pressing down seems logical.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
But when you want to skip something (hop over it) you go up...that is also logical. :unsure:

·
Registered
402 Posts
And when Hyundai does it differently across their own models... :oops:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it makes sense the way it works now. Imagine a playlist with the song currently playing at the top of the list. If you want to skip to the next song you go down the list. Hence, pressing down seems logical.
I would normally agree with you. Just like race cars with semi-automatic transmissions. You pull backward on the shifter to go up in gear, rather than forward. That's because when you're accelerating forces are pushing back it makes sense that you'd pull back on the lever. When you're deccelerating forces push you forward so you push forward to go down in gear. However, even though it makes sense logically, most street cars (with the exception of Mazda) still have you push forward/backward to go up/down in gears because people don't think like that (again with the exception of Mazda). I believe the same principle should apply to the media controls. Logically what you're saying makes sense. But people don't think like that. Most people who get in my car will end up asking me why my car does that instead of saying Hyundai made a smart engineering decision.

The best solution would be to give the user control though the infotainment system on how to configure the buttons so people could do what they want rather than force them to do it their way.

·
Registered
481 Posts
As i wrote on the linked previous topic on this issue, its been this way since my 2015 Sonata came out. It was the first of the Hyundais to have a head unit with this android software that all Hyundais have now including the 2020 Sonata. I think people prior to this had different experiences with their track buttons on like the 2011-2014 Sonatas. So for whatever reason they have decided to bring this "feature" along to the new Sonata, Palisade, etc.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I just happened to realize this yesterday and it goes with the "imagine a list of songs" but it's a common thing... Your radio presets are a list and down goes to the next one, up goes to the previous. You see the movement on the list displayed when you have RADIO selected. So the visual feedback aligns with the action.

(I can only speak for the 10" radio)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just happened to realize this yesterday and it goes with the "imagine a list of songs" but it's a common thing... Your radio presets are a list and down goes to the next one, up goes to the previous. You see the movement on the list displayed when you have RADIO selected. So the visual feedback aligns with the action.

(I can only speak for the 10" radio)
Yeah I noticed that too. It took me awhile to see it because when you're on the "media" tab the songs are in alphabetical order. I leave my phone on shuffle so I never see it like a list of songs. It just jumps to a random song on the list each time.I would prefer to see the song list in it's shuffle order so I know what song it's going to pick next. Some cars do this and other don't. But it would be nice if they did it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats it in a nut shell and when press up once it starts the same track again and twice for next track behide the track you just listened to.
Allways been that way on most things Ive owned. Car company one or accessorie manufactured decks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts