Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 hyundai tiburon that I bought dead(salvaged) and have brought it back to life. The loan I took out for the healing process will be paid back in a year
and then I'm taking out a loan for a twin turbo kit. I'm only 18 and I don't know alot about this except that I should have a 3 to 3 1/2 pipe running for it.
I wanted to know if im going for pure performance should I keep the duel exhaust or should I single it with a 3 to 3 1/2 inch exhaust pipes, up and down pipes as well. Please leave any info or just your personal opinion to this crucial matter.
REMEMBER WHICH IS BETTER FOR PURE PERFORMANCE?????????

·
Registered
51 Posts
First a question, why twin turbo? You can get plenty of power out of the 6 with a single t3/t4 setup. Now if you are hellbent on going twin, have you considered bulletproofing your engine? I doubt it since you are asking such a simple question about exhaust. For the v6 tib, dual 2.5" pipes would work quite well, anything larger would be a waste. Well, maybe not a waste. Make sure they are mandrel bent as well, not crush. If they are crush bent they will be almost as restrictive as your stock setup. A supercharger would work quite well with your engine as well. I've seen a video of a v6 tib with a super, set to 10lbs of boost, woop the **** out of an srt4 running 18lbs. How fast do you want to go? If you want it to be a pure drag machine, you need to consider more than just what exhaust to get. Just my .02.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First a question, why twin turbo? You can get plenty of power out of the 6 with a single t3/t4 setup. Now if you are hellbent on going twin, have you considered bulletproofing your engine? I doubt it since you are asking such a simple question about exhaust. For the v6 tib, dual 2.5" pipes would work quite well, anything larger would be a waste. Well, maybe not a waste. Make sure they are mandrel bent as well, not crush. If they are crush bent they will be almost as restrictive as your stock setup. A supercharger would work quite well with your engine as well. I've seen a video of a v6 tib with a super, set to 10lbs of boost, woop the **** out of an srt4 running 18lbs. How fast do you want to go? If you want it to be a pure drag machine, you need to consider more than just what exhaust to get. Just my .02.
[snapback]2388[/snapback]​
[/quoute

I know all about the supercharger and the t3 and 4, but like you said im just hellbent on a twin turbo. On the your question about the engine. I know, im not a complete idiot. The question i was trying to ask was do you think it would be better to run a duel or single exhaust if im just looking for performance? Don't worry about the twin turbo. I got carried away ont the subject because it excites me. For example look at the 300z and the supra when they were twin turbo not to mention the Dodge stealth and the VR4. !!!!!!BEAUTY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by nkm111585@Nov 6 2004, 05:23 PM
I know all about the supercharger and the t3 and 4, but like you said im just hellbent on a twin turbo. On the your question about the engine. I know, im not a complete idiot. The question i was trying to ask was do you think it would be better to run a duel or single exhaust if im just looking for performance?  Don't worry about the twin turbo. I got carried away ont the subject because it excites me. For example look at the 300z and the supra when they were twin turbo not to mention the Dodge stealth and the VR4. !!!!!!BEAUTY!!!!!!!
[snapback]2398[/snapback]​

Honestly, I'd much rather go with a single turbo with a 3 1/2" mandrel bend. It's a lot more efficient, and the only reason you go with dual exhaust is because people like the looks.
Oh, and I wouldn't be too excited on the twin turbo thing. I'd just take a look at those cars quarter mile times... Not impressive. Top speed thing, is a little different....

And as for the supercharged Tib beating a SRT4 on 18psi... well I'm glad, that tiny ass turbo chokes up at 12 psi. So a v6 with a heatsoaking 10 psi with a supercharger better beat a 2.4 liter with a choking 18psi.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have to make my decision by Tuesday. But, as of right now I'm going with single exhaust 2.5' and a magnaflow, 1 in 2 out, double walled. Still post your opions on what u think and thx.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by nkm111585@Nov 7 2004, 08:42 PM
Well I have to make my decision by Tuesday. But, as of right now I'm going with single exhaust 2.5' and a magnaflow, 1 in 2 out, double walled. Still post your opions on what u think and thx.
[snapback]2439[/snapback]​

I honestly don't like the dual exhuast look, but it would most definately be hard to pull off a single on a tib with stock dual exhuast. I do really prefer the single, especially on a single turbo car. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TO: 801Excel
The only downside to this single exhaust is that im going to have to find a body kit that will allow it or have one modified because my new exhaust has a duel tip.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by nkm111585@Nov 8 2004, 05:08 PM
TO: 801Excel
The only downside to this single exhaust is that im going to have to find a body kit that will allow it or have one modified because my new exhaust has a duel tip.
[snapback]2473[/snapback]​

Yeah that's the one thing that I would recognize as a problem. But I'm a person that is not all into looks, I'd just keep it stock with one single tip and the other side just open. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Since your car is dual exhaust stock, I would keep it that way. You could always merge the two pipes into one, but I think that's just excess work that is unneeded. Besides, dual exhaust with a nice body kit would look phat. Yes, I know you really don't care too much about the looks, you just want the performance, but you might as well have something that looks good at the same time. I say do dual 2.5"-3" pipes with your choice of muffler. Then you will have plenty of flow for a turbo setup, and if you decide to get a body kit, the mufflers will line up with it just fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As soon as their done with my car and I get to dyno it I'll tell both of you how it worked out and the increase in torque and HP.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by occultworks@Nov 9 2004, 03:12 AM
Since your car is dual exhaust stock, I would keep it that way.  You could always merge the two pipes into one, but I think that's just excess work that is unneeded.  Besides, dual exhaust with a nice body kit would look phat.  Yes, I know you really don't care too much about the looks, you just want the performance, but you might as well have something that looks good at the same time.  I say do dual 2.5"-3" pipes with your choice of muffler.  Then you will have plenty of flow for a turbo setup, and if you decide to get a body kit, the mufflers will line up with it just fine.
[snapback]2485[/snapback]​

:rolleyes: Oh great... That's what really gets me, just run 1 muffler and 2 tips... looks soooooooooooo much better than 2 coffee cans sticking out the back.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Food for thought? :-

BSE/HARD Turbo Conversion of V6 Tiburon.

Neat eh!
Nick. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
In a personal message you (nkm) asked about common turbo setups for tibs. I can't really tell you a lot about it, but I can tell you that Apline is a common setup. Check out http://shop.hyundaiperformance.com, and look under forced induction. They have a couple supercharger and turbocharger kits just to give you an idea. Also check out http://www.essentialspeed.com. They have several turbo kits for hyundais, but they are a little pricey. I am going to be buying a manifold from them, because that's the only place I can get one. I think they also make kits for your model. I would suggest that you get the manifold from them, or whoever, and then piece together the rest of it from other sources. That will save you a bit of money over the kit.

I did a price comparison on a pieced together kit, compared to a full kit. The full kit was approximately $2900, and the average price I came up with for a pieced together kit came to about $1500. And that's with some good name brand parts. Granted they weren't all brand new, but if I can save 1400 who cares. Also I didn't add things like hoses and piping. But that shouldn't be too much more. Also, for my make I've heard that you can push 14psi on stock internals with good tuning. You could probably get a bit more out of your tib.

If I can get it to work, I'll post a video of a tib vs. an srt4. The tib in that video is running a supercharger. Sounds sweet as ****. Almost cooler than the BOV sound you get from a turbo setup. Look for the vid in the videos forum. Hope this helped some.

Later.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OCCULTWORKS

First of all, thanks for the info on everything you've found. My uncle is a speacilist in turbos and supercharger setups. He thinks that I need to learn about my car from reasearch done on my own(thats why I was looking for help). He told me he would install it if I found one that was good for my car. He gave me some guidelines on what he would and wouldn't do.

I like the idea of saving money but he said he won't under any circumstances put a turbo kit on a car that has been pieced together. He tells me that "you have to go all the way with what ever company u buy from." All parts have to have same namebrand. He says you get more out of your turbo and you're car will have a longer life. He the one that is going to install it and bulletproof my engine as well.

Funny story
You should see my uncles car sometime its a WRX wagon pushing 16.5 psi and 365 hp, 370 torque. Went to the races with him last week and he drew to race a Z28 camaro that used to be a pace car. It was funny because my uncle was in the lead in the 1/4 mile when the camero sprayed nos(150 shot) and passed him in the finnaly inches. He was pissed cause he is also against nos(thinks its cheating)

If you have any questions about turbos I'll ask him for you and thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, the two sites that I gave you have complete turbo kits. I was just trying to offer some advice as to how you could save money. For a long time there weren't kits made for my car, so that's what you would see, a lot of peiced together, and one off kits. In my opinion, if you get the parts from different manufacturors, or all from the same, it doesn't really make that much of a difference. For instance, if you had a garrett turbo, tial wastegate, and greddy bov, it would work just fine. They are all reputable companies, and they all make good products. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to go that route.

Drool @ pic posted by Valkyrie! It never showed up for me before. Looks friggen sweet. Get that!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I'd rather piece together I was just saying, that if i want free installation and tunning, i have to go with one set.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ahh I see, I misread. Free installation and free tuning does sound like a good deal. So either way you go, you may end up spending the same amount of money. Although, you could install it yourself with the help of some friends, and tune it yourself. I dunno.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish i had friends that knew alot about the turbo and that could help me install it but, they've all got brainfart when it comes to cars.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Originally posted by nkm111585@Nov 15 2004, 09:30 PM
I wish i had friends that knew alot about the turbo and that could help me install it but, they've all got brainfart when it comes to cars.
[snapback]2800[/snapback]​

I say just learn everything yourself. I did for myself, and my friends kinda found me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts