Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I need an answer to this as soon as possible please.
I'm replacing my low beams with HIDs tonight. The one thing that bothers me is that the stock DRL lights are going to be the default yellow-ish lights during the day. This is the same bulb which gets really bright when you switch to high beam.

Here's my question: If I replace them with Silverstars (or the equivalent white halogen bulb), will it get brighter when I switch to high beam? Will it be bright enough?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I'm replacing my low beams with HIDs tonight.
I think you need to wait a few days and be sure what's going on here.

I might be WAY off base here but I don't think you can "replace" only the low beams......as they are usually inside the same bulb.....and use the same reflector.

Something about your plan just doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah don't worry about that part. I'm replacing my H11 low beam bulbs with the complete HID install (I got that part down).
My main concern was about the H1 high beam/drl replacement with Silverstar bulbs, and whether it will still have the capability to be dim for DRL and bright for high beam.

The reason I mentioned the HID mod is because I'll be taking out my headlight tonight so it would be a good time to replace the other bulb with Silverstars too.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
As I can recall, the high/drl bulbs can be accessed without pulling the headlights. The driver's side low beam however is sandwiched requiring you to pull that headlight.

I have Philips Crystal Vision Ultras which is much whiter than stock without the annoying blue.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
I think you need to wait a few days and be sure what's going on here.

I might be WAY off base here but I don't think you can "replace" only the low beams......as they are usually inside the same bulb.....and use the same reflector.

Something about your plan just doesn't sound right to me.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you are way off base. ;) The Elantra has separate beams for high and low beam and has since 2001. The DRL is simply the high beam bulb being run at reduced intensity.

·
Banned
998 Posts
as they are usually inside the same bulb.....and use the same reflector.
separate reflector and separate light bulb.

Accent, Forte, Rio, and some other Hyundai/Kia vehicles do use one light bulb/reflector setup. But then you deal with H4/9007 light bulb or some other dual filament.

My main concern was about the H1 high beam/drl replacement with Silverstar bulbs, and whether it will still have the capability to be dim for DRL and bright for high beam.
Honestly I would not worry too much about high beam being not bright enough. Sure, it will appear yellowish, but it won't be so bad.
Actually, I retrofited projectors with D2S 4300K into low beam, but kept old H1 in high beam. Difference is noticeable, but not so bad at all.

I would discourage you of using Silverstar in H1/DRL setup due to wear. Silverstar are "short life" light bulbs. They are rated at <300 hours. With DRL being on 24/7 (except when high beam is in use) you will end up changing them more often and it might not justify the color match, which will be seen only when you pull high beam. And when you do... who else will see it? A deer? A bear? A beer? ;)

To fully answer your question - it will work just fine. Of course DRL will be brighter due to the fact Silverstar is brighter to begin with.
Instead of 13.8V something around 8-9V is supplied - hence, less light intensity. Therefore, any (same wattage) light bulb will work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks for the answer.
I came to the same conclusion that it's not worth using Silverstars in the drl/high bulb.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hate to be reviving an old post for no reason, but I think I'm trying to do the same thing here and wanted to see if you found any resolution.

I drive a 2013 GL, so I dont have the automatic DRL/Low Beam sensor. as a replacement to this, I just keep my Low Beams on all the time, and just leave them on. The car turns them off after 30 seconds of shut down, so its kind of like auto light control... lol

anyway. I'm installing HIDs this spring in the Low Beams. probably 6000k, and I want to replace the DRL bulb with an amber bulb as well. but I want both lights to be on all the time, constant. similar to how the accent looks.

unfortunately. I havent found much success in doing this since the DRLs turn off when you put the Low Beams on, and if you put the High Beams on, I believe the Low Beams turn off as well. so even if I replace the DRL/High Beam bulb with an amber bulb and leave my high beams on all the time just to illuminate the light, the HIDs would be deactivated.

anyway. I'm hoping there was a resolution to what you did above. Would love the look on my car.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm installing HIDs this spring in the Low Beams. probably 6000k, and I want to replace the DRL bulb with an amber bulb as well. but I want both lights to be on all the time, constant. similar to how the accent looks.
So if you got this working the way that you described, you'd have the look that you want with the DRLs, but your high beams would not function correctly. You're in Ontario, but at least in the US, you'd fail inspection in many (most?) states.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So if you got this working the way that you described, you'd have the look that you want with the DRLs, but your high beams would not function correctly. You're in Ontario, but at least in the US, you'd fail inspection in many (most?) states.
This is why I dont want to cut wires/bypass anything on the stock wiring harness.

the most I would do is use add-a-wire splicers to join some lines. so at least its somewhat reversable.

Ideally, I'd like to have an adapter cable with the right connectors to go between the harness and the headlight assembly to play with at my own risk...

like this: http://www.sharkracing.com/hyundai-kia-headlight-wiring-harness-adapter-set-6-pin/

but for our cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts