Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it's a 2.7, I just did the coils/plugs/wires/pcv on mine. They have three coils on a bracket thus making a coil pack. You can replace the individual coils if desired. Removing the radiator fan and upper radiator hose made for lots of room to get the whole pack replaced. You might just need plugs/wires if they haven't been done in a while - i.e. the coils may be just fine. When was the last time for a tune up? Did the mechanic actually do the rear plugs? It seems to me a lot of shops do the front three and *say* they did the back three - knowing you can't check their work. My plugs all were the desirable burnt tan color but they were so old that the gaps had eroded out to around .070 (should be .044). Car ran OK but I got a noticeable power increase with the new plugs/wires. PCV is stupid simple to install at about $7 - mine was somewhat plugged up ao I expect the new one helped some as well.

If your head gaskets are leaking (weeping) oil this is the time to change them out, it's just a few more 10mm bolts and an inexpensive gasket set.

Simple hand tools to do all this:
pliers to grab wire spring-clips holding on electrical connectors
10mm/12mm sockets, ratchet and extensions for everything else
spark plug socket

Radiator is likewise a simple affair on this chassis:
phillips head screwdriver (for plastic hood latch cover on the radiator crossmember)
slip-joint pliers (for the radiator hose clamps and tranny cooler lines)
10mm socket, ratchet and extension for everything else

1 - 1 of 1 Posts