Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in a parking lot a few days ago that was not lit well and was raining. When in the parking lot, I nicked the sidewall of my drivers side tire. I attached a image. What do you guys think, is it bad enough to replace it? It does not seem to be leaking air.

Attachments

·
22,792 Posts
Put a little touch up paint on that rim rash. Should hide everything, perfectly! I'm with Someguy's opinion:keep an eye on the cut and the tire's pressure. If a tire store says you need a new tire, do like you would for a surgery: Get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Doesn't look that bad but if by chance you start losing pressure, a soapy solution might help.

·
6,836 Posts
As my husband would say, "Put some Robitussin on it!" Apparently, that's the fix for everything. Or you can rub some 100% gasoline on it. Maybe that'll do it. :p

I think it's past my bedtime.

Love,

Surliest. Mod. Ever.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
As my husband would say, "Put some Robitussin on it!" Apparently, that's the fix for everything. Or you can rub some 100% gasoline on it. Maybe that'll do it. :p

I think it's past my bedtime.

Love,

Surliest. Mod. Ever.
do you light up the gasoline?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
No offense to my fellow members, but I once trusted free online tire advice and the result was the trailer tire blowout pictured in my avatar. Thankfully my family was not hurt, although I did require a change of underwear.

Sidewalls are structural, which means failures tend to be spectacular. I'd take it to a tire shop (or two) for a professional opinion. What have you got to lose besides a couple hundred bucks?

·
Registered
103 Posts
10yrs in the commercial (semi truck and heavy equipment) tire business count as pro advice?

Run it, purely cosmetic as long as there is no bulging.

Keep an eye on the area, if it starts to bulge the tire is bad.

If it suddenly develops a leak and they "cant find the leak" have them check the sidewall where the injury is, most curb and impact injuries will cause a small split on the inside liner in the area of the external injury.

Stick it on the rear of the vehicle too for added safety if you are truely concerned.

·
Registered
911 Posts
10yrs in the commercial (semi truck and heavy equipment) tire business count as pro advice?

Run it, purely cosmetic as long as there is no bulging.

Keep an eye on the area, if it starts to bulge the tire is bad.

If it suddenly develops a leak and they "cant find the leak" have them check the sidewall where the injury is, most curb and impact injuries will cause a small split on the inside liner in the area of the external injury.

Stick it on the rear of the vehicle too for added safety if you are truely concerned.
Can't agree more with your advice execpt the last sentence.

If concerned get a new or a set of tires depending upon their condition.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Depends. In those ten years how many tires did you inspect over the internet?

Not trying to be a jerk... just think it deserves an up-close and personal inspection by someone who takes responsibility for the outcome.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sadly all the modern nanny devices on cars that help some drivers really change the tire world too.

ABS, all wheel drive, traction control, stability control, are very sensitive to tire diameter. Which means some vehicles need tires replaced in pairs, some have to be replaced in sets.

OR, as crazy as it sounds, you CAN put just one tire on but you have to buff it down to the same 32nds as the remaining 3. Or let a buddy do an old school burnout to get it where needed.

Also, some vehicles require the stability control systems be recalibrated after alignments or they can cause drivability issues that most older shops don't have the equipment to diagnose or calibrate.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depends. In those ten years how many tires did you inspect over the internet?

Not trying to be a jerk... just think it deserves an up-close and personal inspection by someone who takes responsibility for the outcome.
I don't dis-agree that it should be looked at but go to a reputable shop because most will use scare tactics to get the consumer to replace the tires when its not needed.

Nobody else noticed the impact was so gentle that it didn't damage the hubcap or bend the normally buttery soft steel wheels we see today

You obviously are gun shy from what looks like a bias trailer tire failure on a pull behind camper.

See me if you have any real tire problems that need fixing :cool:

This was an off-road only rig running $$$$ sticky comp tires, but i promise, no bus load of nuns were harmed and the tire is still on the trails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts