Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little sidewall bubble on my stock hankook tire. Should I replace ASAP? I want to wait another two months until Spring comes to just get em swapped out for all four tires. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Very difficult to diagnose a tire over the internet not to mention, without pictures.

If it is a slight fluctuation in sidewall contour, then it should be OK.

If it is a noticable bubble, then it will last another 2 months till Spring so long as you keep it parked. IOW, replace it sooner than ASAP! Any tire damage should be taken care of immediately. You never know when that might blowout.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I would never trust a sidewall bubble. Replace ASAP.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yep, basically weighing the cost of a tire (or 2, if replacing in pairs) vs the cost of potentially replacing the car if a blowout causes you to total it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your tire scrapped against a curb and the tire got pinch. You need to replace the tire as soon as possible or your tire will eventually have a blowout.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Small sidewall bumps can be harmless... a belt slightly out of alignment. But without a professional opinion I wouldn't trust it for another mile.

·
22,793 Posts
Seek the help of a professional tire store that you feel you can trust. Solicit recommendations from friends. But don't take too long to do it. Find a Discount Tire store in your area and ask them for their professional opinion. I've not heard any bad comments about them or their service. They just came to me off the top of my head. Go anywhere. But explain your replacement goals for Springtime. Be honest and ask the guy to shoot it to you straight.

And if it's determined that you need a new tire, you may want to bite the bullet and get a complete set of something you'll be happy with.

There may be a used tire store that can sell you one identical to yours for 20 bucks or so. Just to get you by until Spring.

But, FIRST AND FOREMEOST, have it checked out. Again, don't play around with this. $100 for a tire is a lot better than $2,000 damage to the fender, wheel, fender wells, etc.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Seek the help of a professional tire store that you feel you can trust.
I think everyone can get behind that one. There is nothing like inspecting the tire in person. None of us are capable odf doing that from this side of the keyboard. As I stated earlier:

Very difficult to diagnose a tire over the internet not to mention, without pictures.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had 2 decent sized bubbles on my stock tires for some time now. I was pretty harsh with them on the curbs. They also took some serious beatings this winter due to destroyed roads but I didn't want to replace them until spring just to hit a pothole with the new ones (as others previously mentioned, I probably should have replaced them much sooner). This afternoon on my drive home, I hit a pothole going 30ish with one of my GOOD tires and goodbye.... Time to replace all 4 of them. I got a decent 25,000 out of them. Not sure how much tread was left in them anyway but it pains me to have to get rid of them so soon.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
25-30K is fairly typical for most OEM tires.

I had a similar thing happen when I was younger and foolish (well, in some ways I'm still foolish, but I was at least young).

I had three tires with steel showing, but wanted to wait a couple paychecks to replace them. Had the GOOD tire (which was bald but no steel showing) blow out on the freeway at 75 MPH.

Nobody was hurt (including the car amazingly), but I bought 4 new tires that day (that car DID have a spare) and I don't take chances with tire wear anymore.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Had the exact problem on my mom's 2013 @ 4K on the odometer. Took it to Discount Tire and they said "it's road hazard, the warranty doesn't cover it." Take in to account the rim was not rubbed AT ALL.

Went to our Sears, and when they looked at it they said "All bubbles are road-hazard. But in this case, there is no evidence that you caused it to happen, as the rim looks brand new." And they replaced it for us.

I guess depending on where you go will depend on what they do. In any case, Hyundai needs to put BETTER tires on the cars to start with. Both the Continental and the Hankook flat out suck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts