Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some not-so-nice person gave my side view mirror a healthy kick which broke the plastic housing, so now I need to replace the side view (passenger) mirror on my '17 Elantra (SE, US Built, with pop equip package).

I assume i need to remove the mirror assembly by first removing the small plastic cover on the inside of the car to access the bolts that hold the plastic assembly on. How is this piece removed? Does it just pop off? I'm hesitant to pull / pry too hard without knowing what i'm doing.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. My mirror is silver (color matched to the car) but the silver piece came off during the "incident". I've found several online, both aftermarket and OEM. It does appear that US built vs Korean built may be an issue, but hopefully i'll get a perfect match. Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
@hominid7 Paint colors are different between Korean-built & US-built vehicles. I believe the Molten Silver vehicles were built in Korea, and the Symphony Silver is US. I had this issue when selecting a gray; Shale was US built (don't even think Shale is available anymore).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Did enjoy around 25-30 year of all non-deductible auto, home, and health insurance, didn't make any difference how many claims you had. And if someone wrecked your car when park, didn't make any difference if the comprehensive or collision would cover it. I think insurance companies were making money back then.

But wow, did this change, was back in 2005, somebody ran into our brand new vehicle, legally parked, insisted it was collision, deductible was much higher, then they increased our rates. Did you even contact your insurance company?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you even contact your insurance company?
I did call State Farm and it would be covered under comprehensive coverage, but I have a $500 deductible. While i'm sure the retail body shop cost of fixing it will be more than 500, i'm also sure i can get the OEM part for less than 200, so i'll just fix it myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@hominid7 Paint colors are different between Korean-built & US-built vehicles. I believe the Molten Silver vehicles were built in Korea, and the Symphony Silver is US. I had this issue when selecting a gray; Shale was US built (don't even think Shale is available anymore).
Thanks for the info! Mine is Symphony Silver, but the silver part was not damaged, so i guess i could use either the US or Korean part, as long as color is not an issue, since i can re-use my silver plastic housing part.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I ordered the parts from a Hyundai dealer online and got a decent discount. I was able to use the silver color cap from my old mirror to replace the unpainted white one that came on the new mirror. Installation was pretty easy and while i still have a small ding in the fender, it cleaned up nicely and is not too noticeable.

I've attached a before and after photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
And I thought parking my car in Los Angeles was taking a risk. Haha Geeez, I would be pissed off to come back and discover damage to my car like that. Not too long ago I had something happen to my side mirror. I have the blind assist detection system and the dealer had to reprogram the system so the mirror would function properly.

Reactions: hominid7

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Wonder if this would work for you.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Bod...8344&wl11=online&wl12=881342021&wl13=&veh=sem

Met a paintless dent repair guy, said he could only remove dents if he could get access to the rear, but looks like this system uses hot glue to attach the tool so do not need rear access that you don't have unless you remove the fender first. Practically all these vehicles dent so easily.

Ha, with Walmart, can always take it back and get your 23 bucks back.

·
22,788 Posts
In cases like this where vandalism occurs, somebody just needs to meet their maker. And I’m not referring to their mom or dad. :wink2: Plain and simple. I guess that is the old warrior coming out in me. Can’t tolerate thieves or vandals. Smart-aleck kids are right at the edge of my tolerance threshold. Sorry, I’m ranting. :rant2:

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Didn't question the motivation behind this act, blessed with four good looking daughters, did damage to my cars when when they turned down a date from some creep, sugar in the gas tank, smashed headlights. Kind of like, I will show you.

Other forms of motivation is leaving any thing of value in the car, like a stack of store bought CD's, cell phone, laptop, a 200 buck jacket. But at least there was motivation for druggies to break a window to try to sell this stuff for a couple of bucks for a fix. Ha, talked to my kids, more like screamed at them, don't leave anything of value in your parked car.

But in this case, the culprit didn't gain anything, just darn right mean, is this a case of revenge?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts