Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i picked my new car up from the dealer and finding 2 small dents in the drivers door--- ok they were removed by the dealer to my satisfaction---- but it made me realise how easy the door skins were to dent ------------ most cars have side mouldings to give some level of protection if you are unlucky enough to park next to clumsy or thoughtless drivers.
Anyway after looking at the accessories in the 2010 brochure for the i20 i have ordered a set of i20 side door mouldings from the Hyundai dealer ---------- can i fit these myself,i dont want to pay them to do it if it is a simple job to do.

·
Registered
149 Posts
They only stick on so should be easy to fit. I had mine fitted by the dealer, I had to take it back twice because they weren’t straight and once because one section was coming off. Six months down the line and the stickiness hasn’t fared well, so will have to take it back yet again.

Dealer is Richmond Hyundai, Bognor Regis when I bought the car, the branch closed one month later, so now it’s Richmond in Portsmouth!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sierra @ May 24 2010, 09:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325714
They only stick on so should be easy to fit. I had mine fitted by the dealer, I had to take it back twice because they weren’t straight and once because one section was coming off. Six months down the line and the stickiness hasn’t fared well, so will have to take it back yet again.

Dealer is Richmond Hyundai, Bognor Regis when I bought the car, the branch closed one month later, so now it’s Richmond in Portsmouth!
Its disappointing to read of your experience with them falling away from the car ---------- do they come with adhesive backing or do they require a special glue that i will also have to purchase -------- thanks.

A quick after thought ------- would the doors have to be first stripped of their polish where the strips are to be fitted to ensure a good bond??

·
Registered
149 Posts
QUOTE (silverlining @ May 24 2010, 05:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325715
Its disappointing to read of your experience with them falling away from the car ---------- do they come with adhesive backing or do they require a special glue that i will also have to purchase -------- thanks.

A quick after thought ------- would the doors have to be first stripped of their polish where the strips are to be fitted to ensure a good bond??
They come with the adhesive backing, I would have thought the polish should be cleaned off first, doubt if my dealer did that. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Found that these were a "must have" as parking slots gets narrower over here .. Fitted the kit myself. Fairly good instructions inside AND 2 sealed towels to clean the area on the doors. These 2 towels are loose inside the box and can get lost or not found at first sight.
Be sure to do a test without removing the protection cover of the tape as the plastic bits might need a slight twist to fit properly.
The measurement figures in the instruction are best marked with ordinary paper tape on the doors so the protectors line up with the tape at their upper end. IMHO the car does look a bit sharper with these attached and they should of course be a standard item !

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have fitted these in the past to other cars, and I always use a small amount of Methylated spirit to clean the bodywork where you are going to apply them.
It has never failed me, also very useful to wipe with meths around a bath etc before applying a sealant, it makes a wonderful seal that holds better.
Hope that helps.
S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts