Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if car side mirrors are made of plastic or metal? I'm referring to the exterior housing which is painted.

Back story:

-bought a hyundai elantra gt last week
-today scraped the side mirror when going out of the garage (yes, stupid of me, wasn't paying attention)

I used compound to remove the surface scuff marks. However, there's a very tiny mark, which chipped the paint. Smaller than a typical rock chip. Other than that, the mirror looks fine.

Anyways, I was more concerned about it rusting over time, if it was made of metal. However, if its plastic, I'll just leave it.

Thanks.

·
22,793 Posts
Like most of the auto's of today (and recent years past): plastic, plastic, and more plastic. Less weight which equals savings in the tank, less cost to manufacture, etc. But it's nicely done with the painted exterior.

Welcome to the "Loyal Brotherhood of Touch-up Paint" Club.

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks guys.
Phu, I can't recall the color of your ride, but they do make a chrome cover that fits right over the stock mirror housing. Not my personal taste, but it looks good on some models with a complementary body color. eBay has them. Relatively cheap price. Stick-on with 3M tape.

Saw a set of them on a black Sonata at Home Depot...also sporting the chrome door handles. They played off each rather, rather nicely.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion rich. I've decided I'm just going to leave it as is. The chip is really tiny. Most people wouldn't even notice it, unless I pointed out, even then, some might have trouble see it. I was just worried about exposed metal, because they throw salt on the roads in the winter time, in my area.

Yeah I'm not into chrome either :) My car is white.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I scratched one of mine's too after my kayak dropped from it's wall mount.

I'd like to change the plastic instead of fixing the scratch. Anyone knows if they would sell just the plastic cover?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I scratched one of mine's too after my kayak dropped from it's wall mount.

I'd like to change the plastic instead of fixing the scratch. Anyone knows if they would sell just the plastic cover?
Very doubtful........... best bet would be chrome cover that thats been mentioned in this thread...... I guess you could repaint this cover if you didn't like chrome finish Check Ebay for this item

1 - 9 of 9 Posts