Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the side cover is for? I have a crack on it and oil is coming out when I'm driving. This part is made of plastic. I think I can JD wield it to fix the crack, but I concern if there is more damage behind it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely good you're concerned. That part is the transmission cover/valve body cover. Im hoping you parked the car immediately and started a search for the new part. I'm sure it could be JB Plastic Welded without issue however it would only be temporary in my opinion. I would keep a close eye on it if you do the JB Weld as you don't want to need a new transmission when the part is less than $80.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Pictures would sure help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely good you're concerned. That part is the transmission cover/valve body cover. Im hoping you parked the car immediately and started a search for the new part. I'm sure it could be JB Plastic Welded without issue however it would only be temporary in my opinion. I would keep a close eye on it if you do the JB Weld as you don't want to need a new transmission when the part is less than $80.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you, I thought it was motor oil. I google it to find out where the transmission dip stick is and there is one. I have no idea how much fluid I have left.

·
Registered
897 Posts
OH, you were talking about the side of the transmission! Oh h e l l yeah, REPLACE THAT! Do not try to JB Weld it!!!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
That is really an odd place to be cracked, on the side of the transmission like that. Was there any recent incident (vehicle collision / struck road debris) that could have caused this ? Running your car with low ATF is not advised, you could risk permanent damage to your tranny. There is no dipstick on these cars. There is a bolt on the bottom to drain the ATF, there is a side port to check your fluid level by allowing any excess to drain out and there is a top port to add fluid. Read up on the procedure from the Sonata forum here. Different car but the principle is the same: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/transmission-fluid-change-video.445201/#post-5491218

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is really an odd place to be cracked, on the side of the transmission like that. Was there any recent incident (vehicle collision / struck road debris) that could have caused this ? Running your car with low ATF is not advised, you could risk permanent damage to your tranny. There is no dipstick on these cars. There is a bolt on the bottom to drain the ATF, there is a side port to check your fluid level by allowing any excess to drain out and there is a top port to add fluid. Read up on the procedure from the Sonata forum here. Different car but the principle is the same: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/transmission-fluid-change-video.445201/#post-5491218
I hit a small animal and it damage the radiator. They replace that, but didn't see the damage to this. I already paid over $750 to have that fix. I'm just try to get it temp fix until I have more money. I can't afford another $300-$400 dollar with the holiday bills around the corner.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I hit a small animal and it damage the radiator. They replace that, but didn't see the damage to this. I already paid over $750 to have that fix. I'm just try to get it temp fix until I have more money. I can't afford another $300-$400 dollar with the holiday bills around the corner.
That should have been able to be claimed on your automobile insurance under comp/collision coverage. Unless you didn't want to claim it for fear of insurance rate hikes in the future.

It's unknown to me whether the inside of the transmission produces much pressure that would make leakage of the ATF more pronounced. I assume that in your photo, the grey blob on the cover near the top is your JB Plastic weld patch? It is way above the side port which is where the fluid level maximum should be. It's unclear how that fluid would be leaking from the crack unless it sloshes around violently while the vehicle is being driven.

But you definitely need to top off the ATF with Valvoline MaxLife fluid or equivalent, it's available at WalMart for about $18 for a 4 qt. jug. Valvoline ATF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I finally got the part and it took me 4 hours to change it. Those screws were in a very tight place. The Transmission oil was black, I guess the previous owner never changed it.

Question, in some of the site it was suggested to change out the transmission oil again after a few hundred miles. Why?

Thanks again for all the response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That should have been able to be claimed on your automobile insurance under comp/collision coverage. Unless you didn't want to claim it for fear of insurance rate hikes in the future.

It's unknown to me whether the inside of the transmission produces much pressure that would make leakage of the ATF more pronounced. I assume that in your photo, the grey blob on the cover near the top is your JB Plastic weld patch? It is way above the side port which is where the fluid level maximum should be. It's unclear how that fluid would be leaking from the crack unless it sloshes around violently while the vehicle is being driven.

But you definitely need to top off the ATF with Valvoline MaxLife fluid or equivalent, it's available at WalMart for about $18 for a 4 qt. jug. Valvoline ATF
I don't have collision coverage. I only paid $3K for the car, so I didn't have collision coverage(To save money).

·
Registered
897 Posts
The idea is that when you drain the tranny oil, you only get around half of it out as the stuff in the torque converter remains. So if you drain, re-fill, drive a bit, repeat, after 3 or 4 times you change out most of the old oil. You can figure it out on a spreadsheet. I did it 4 times to get >90% changed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts