Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just purchased a 2009 Santa Fe 2.2 CRDI. I have noticed that when accelerating under load, usually up a slight hill there is a shudder (mostly felt in the steering) at around about 2500 RPM. It goes away at higher revs. If not under load it revs smooth all the way.

I have not driven any others so was wondering if other Santa Fe's also do this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Could it be you have some play in the front wheel suspention or drive axles?
Are the wheels maybe showing some side play?
Then you need to have a look underneath the front of the car to check it which goint or bearing could be affected..
Or is the 4WD maybe kicking in (if any)?
Then I would check the transaxle gearbox for enough oil in it.
Or are the front brakes kept active or sticky?
Check the temperature of the rotors after a drive.
They should not be hot. Then check your callipers.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that advice. I will jack it up and feel for some play in the front wheels. Yes it is AWD so could be falsely engaging. I will also get the transaxle gearbox oil checked.

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Just following up.

This appears to be a rear tyre that is out of round. The vibration its causing is being transferred through the centre diff when accelerating hard. Strange that I don’t feel it when crusing. When I swapped the wheels the vibrating in the steering was bad all the time.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi Ryan,
While cruising could be not much force is delivered to the rear wheels so less friction going on so less vibration.
Luckily you found the problem.
Next time buy rounded tyres. Or could it be that tyre lost some balancing weights?
Greets,
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts