Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
so who can explain ''winter mode'', we don't get too much of that in fl.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Nov 5 2010, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369211
so who can explain ''winter mode'', we don't get too much of that in fl.
Pretty much he is asking to show what rims and tires people are running in the winter as most people in canada and northern us run winter tires over all seasons. Some use black steele wheels, some alloy wheels and some just use stock wheels. But steele or second set of rims are best.

Im running my stock 17 with the general artic altimax. Will probablg put them on this weekend. Hard to believe its november here and still 21 degrees celsius out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Here is a picture of mine in winter mode. The summer sets of the Sonata and the Tucson are in the foreground, cleaned and ready for storage.

The Sonata is fitted with a set of Michelin's on Borbet rims, a deal through Tirerack

[attachment=21158:Winter.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
For those of you in the snow belt that have a dedicated set of snow tires for winter, do you still use all season tires for the other seasons or do you get some really sweet dedicated summer tires for superior handling and braking?

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Nov 6 2010, 11:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369608
Here is a picture of mine in winter mode. The summer sets of the Sonata and the Tucson are in the foreground, cleaned and ready for storage.

The Sonata is fitted with a set of Michelin's on Borbet rims, a deal through Tirerack

[attachment=21158:Winter.jpg]
Just curious, did you actually drive the Sonata with those 17"ers in the snow ?
Being west of Philly we get our fair share of snow, and my Altima 3.5V6 had the same exact rim/tire size and I never swapped them out. Also because your winter mode Sonata is dog ugly with those rims.....I'd at least stay stock with the GLS 16" hubs or alloys.:) I'm here all week. :banana:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ Nov 7 2010, 05:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369648
For those of you in the snow belt that have a dedicated set of snow tires for winter, do you still use all season tires for the other seasons or do you get some really sweet dedicated summer tires for superior handling and braking?
No choice but to use all seasons in my area. We sometimes get snow up in the late may time frame and can start as early as september. So cant risk getting stuck with summers on in a freak snow storm

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Nov 7 2010, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369664
Just curious, did you actually drive the Sonata with those 17"ers in the snow ?
Being west of Philly we get our fair share of snow, and my Altima 3.5V6 had the same exact rim/tire size and I never swapped them out. Also because your winter mode Sonata is dog ugly with those rims.....I'd at least stay stock with the GLS 16" hubs or alloys.:) I'm here all week. :banana:
Nope, never driven the specific 17" in the snow. Did not want to risk it either. Fresh snow was really never a problem though, compacted snow or black ice is. 4 years ago I became within 6 inches of hitting a snow plow headon when I decided I will never drive with all seasons in the winter again.

My name was at two local dealers for take -off wheels but nothing came of it so I had to go for aftermarket

I therefore had three options
Get a set of 17" snow tires and pay the equivalent price of a rim and risking the OEM rims (and tires) 2 times a year to swap tires onto the rims. (i.e. The rims are paying for themselves in 2 years)
Get a set of black steel rims - this is the most popular option in my area. I did it for the Tucson and just hated the look.
Get a set of quality but affordable alloys that has been designed to do be used in winter. The price that I payed for the borbets was comparable to a set of steelies and hub caps, I was willing to pay that small premium, but spending a small fortune on expensive alloys that are covered in salt spray for 4 months of the year is just not on, bar the short drive after you have exit the car wash. - There are lots of other toys that I would rather get. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts