Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The mode door actuator can be seen moving when switching between other modes (face, floor, face-floor mixed). There's a door nearby (floor door?) that also moves with these changes. These modes work fine.

There's no movement visible when switching to defrost-floor mix or just defrost (and they don't work). I'm not sure if there should be movement there because part lists have something called defrost door, but there's no defrost actuator.

I'm aware of the separator plate TSB but want to see if it's something simpler first.

Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I am looking for the same answer. My Sonata recently lost it's ability to stop sending air flow to the feet area, regardless of setting. However, when I press the Defrost button, it does stop flow to the feet area. I am trying to find out if it is the foot door stuck or if the actuator needs replaced. My hope is that it is the actuator as the work to replace that is MUCH less than replacing the doors.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Try a system relearn.
For non vacuum operated systems (electronic) the module needs to learn the full open and full close positions of the doors.

AC reset
Turn the system on full cold Max AC.
Radio OFF.
Turn ignition OFF.
Pull the HVAC (AC) fuse from interior fuse box. Leave out for 1 minute and replace.
Turn key to run/on position....NOT start.
Do not touch any controls. You'll hear the doors (actuators) being opened and closed. The HVAC module is learning the full open and full close positions. Wait until the system is completely done with the learning process. Less than a minute.
Start and test the system.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Tried the reset, pulling the 7.5amp A/C fuse in the dash. Unfortunately, it did not work. I watched when switching between modes and see the foot flap close fully when on defrost mode, but it doesn't fully close for any other mode, it stays half-open. When on feet only, the flap opens fully. I don't really hear any clicking when it moves through positions so it does seem like a calibration issue. Is there another fuse that could/should be pulled to make sure the relearn happens?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
There's a TSB on that flap. Need to remove dash to fix.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So, yesterday I got into the actuator and watched it "hang" and not move to all positions. I removed the actuator and the green gear that connects to each of the flap levers. I manually manipulated all of the flap levers and they all moved freely. The only slight hang up was the foot lever. It closed completely but after letting go, it slowly moved to partially opened on it's own. However, looking at the green gear thing, there is an additional bump in the track for that lever, which I believe is to help "lock" that one in place leaving me to believe all flaps move as designed...YAY. I tried putting resistance on the actuator while cycling through the different modes and heard one small "pop" like the gear skipped inside. Knowing that I have an actuator issue, I set everything manually to the face vents only and reassembled until I order a new actuator and can install it. However, all day yesterday (5-different starts) all modes are working freely now. I still believe the actuator to be the issue but maybe that hear pop I had is in a good spot for now. by the way, working upside down under the dash with feet outside the car is a back breaker!

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
So, yesterday I got into the actuator and watched it "hang" and not move to all positions. I removed the actuator and the green gear that connects to each of the flap levers. I manually manipulated all of the flap levers and they all moved freely. The only slight hang up was the foot lever. It closed completely but after letting go, it slowly moved to partially opened on it's own. However, looking at the green gear thing, there is an additional bump in the track for that lever, which I believe is to help "lock" that one in place leaving me to believe all flaps move as designed...YAY. I tried putting resistance on the actuator while cycling through the different modes and heard one small "pop" like the gear skipped inside. Knowing that I have an actuator issue, I set everything manually to the face vents only and reassembled until I order a new actuator and can install it.

However, all day yesterday (5-different starts) all modes are working freely now. I still believe the actuator to be the issue

Yep...

but maybe that hear pop I had is in a good spot for now.

Yep...

by the way, working upside down under the dash with feet outside the car is a back breaker!

At my age and with my arthritis I can't last more than 10 or 15 minutes doing that. Be glad you can do it although it's no fun.

Reactions: forgeinaz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts