Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about writing to Hyundai Australia seeking some kind of compensation, due to the fact that after 5 months they've released a model with upgraded suspension, in response to journalists who criticised the original set up. To me this indicates an admission by Hyundai that the original suspension and steering was inadequate. So rushed was this upgraded model, they didn't even wait until the 2011 model build. So now there are two 2010 models - one pre-update and one post. Therefore, as a very early buyer of the model (one of the first few hundred in the country), I feel that I'm entitled to some kind of compensation. Not necessarily monetary (although that would be preferable), but perhaps in the form of free servicing for the first year, or extended warranty.
Am I justified in writing in to them? What are my chances of getting anything?

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Oct 11 2010, 06:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362595
I'm seriously thinking about writing to Hyundai Australia seeking some kind of compensation, due to the fact that after 5 months they've released a model with upgraded suspension, in response to journalists who criticised the original set up. To me this indicates an admission by Hyundai that the original suspension and steering was inadequate. So rushed was this upgraded model, they didn't even wait until the 2011 model build. So now there are two 2010 models - one pre-update and one post. Therefore, as a very early buyer of the model (one of the first few hundred in the country), I feel that I'm entitled to some kind of compensation. Not necessarily monetary (although that would be preferable), but perhaps in the form of free servicing for the first year, or extended warranty.
No harm in trying. I was one of the first to get the sonata too but I don't think they'll give me a new horn if I was to go back. We are the guinea pigs don't forget!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Davez621 @ Oct 11 2010, 06:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362595
In 1991 the Toyota MR2 had an aggressive rear suspension setup. It was criticized of causing many spin outs due to a phenomenon called "snap oversteer". If anybody is familiar with the term, they know no such thing exists. Its called driver error. But there was a terrible outcry about a poor design and how it needed to change. In 1992 they changed the suspension to be more forgiving and less sporty. The car was more manageable at the limit, but the bar for the limit was much lower.

What Hyundai did was upgrade. Unless the suspension causes safety issues I doubt you are going to get anything.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the letter I've written. I'm no expert letter writer so if anyone has any suggested changes/improvements before it goes out let me know :D

Dear Hyundai,

In June this year I purchased a new i45 Premium (from Yarra Hyundai in

Melbourne), a car that I am very pleased with in every way. Recently I

read about Hyundai offering an upgraded model, with improved suspension,

steering, and upgraded features. It disappoints me that after less than 5

months on the market, the car is already being heavily revised, no doubt

due to harsh criticism by motoring journalists. As an early buyer of the

model, I feel that I have been unfairly disadvantaged, as my resale value

will now drop due to my car being considered "old" a mere 4 months after

purchased. I have effectively been penalised for being one of the first to

buy this new model. To me, the changes made by Hyundai Australia to the

suspension and steering, indicate an admission that the previous set-up was

inadequate. Why Hyundai would release a model with suspension and steering

that is not of the highest standard, is beyond me. Up until I heard this

news, I was a satisfied (first time) Hyundai owner. Now, I am having

second thoughts about whether I made the right decision, and if I would

recommend the car (and brand) to family and friends. I feel that some kind

of compensation, as a show of good faith, would certainly make me feel more

comfortable that I made the right choice of vehicle, and reinforce my

original perceptions of the Hyundai brand, that it is a first rate product

in every area. I look forward to your response and thoughts, eagerly.

Regards,
David Zyk

·
Registered
533 Posts
To the OP:
Wow if I close my eyes and pause for a moment I would think I was in the USA where many feel they are so entitled to things. You think that the change is an admission of sorts? Wow what a difference in opinions. I would view the company's quick response to input a sign of hope for the auto industry as a way to really run a car company by being open to criticism and willing to listen to effect change. Win/win for all.

It was your choice as well as all of ours who bought a new from the ground up model. As the other poster referring to the MR2 said it was not safety it was bad driving. If this suspension were a "Design flaw" then a recall would be issued and it would be fixed for gratis. That's when your entitlement kicks in and not before.

Next time if you want a nearly perfect execution of the design. Wait for year two where just the tweaks and oopses and a few color changes occur before the mid-model run changes are made after 2-3 years before the cycle begins all over again with a new design and complainers begin whining about what they missed out on for buying early!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Oct 11 2010, 09:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362613
To the OP:
Wow if I close my eyes and pause for a moment I would think I was in the USA where many feel they are so entitled to things.
What?

I'm not entitled to all the improvements to the new design?

Geez, next you'll tell me I'm not entitled to the changes that will come with the 2012 model.

Why is life so cruel?

:innocent:

:grin:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Agree with other posters, not just with the car industry but all consumer products, changes can be made at anytime during the production run. I worked for a high end PC maker and we made changes in components all the time. Most of the time it's becuase we found something better to put in, others customers came back saying the fans are a little too loud so we find a solution and that resulted in a design change.

In this case the car scored poorly due to it's suspension. Not a safety issue but a ride quality issue I'm guessing. Much like how some NA journalist say the SE's ride is a little hard and rough due to it's suspension setup and wheels. So Hyundai went out and made changes to the design, they didn't admit it's a safety issue or a design flaw just that the setup didn't fit the taste of certain potential customers. As a car company you can't design a car for each country so what works for North American's may not fit the taste of Australian's or European's. I think that is what happened in this case. Hyundai could have just left it alone but decided to make changes.

I see where you are coming from but like all products we buy, we are taking a gamble that there isn't a new model or refreshed product around the corner. If you feel bad how bout people who buy one model year of a car and then the next year a total re-design comes out. Are they entitled to get a free car? Not at all.

I bought my Sonata knowing fully that it's probably going to have a lot of TSB and potentialy other issues as it's the first model year of a re-design, that is why I purchased the 8 year extended warranty. In reality I was telling myself to wait till 2012 but just couldn't resist being one of the first ones to have the car and with Hyundai's stellar warranty I would be taken care of if a problem occurs. I feel bad that Hyundai just did some minor upgrades here (new horn, Eco button, updated front end for better crash testing) but I know what I got into and it's not Hyundai's fault they didn't put these things in in the first place, so I don't feel like I'm entitled to anythig.

I don't expect you will get much sympathy from Hyundai or the dealer or many board members either. Feel free to contact them but just giving you a heads up that you will most likely get nothing and they will most likely say it's changes that happens all the time and they don't expect to compensate previous owners.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Souks @ Oct 11 2010, 11:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362665
Agree with other posters, not just with the car industry but all consumer products, changes can be made at anytime during the production run. I worked for a high end PC maker and we made changes in components all the time. Most of the time it's becuase we found something better to put in, others customers came back saying the fans are a little too loud so we find a solution and that resulted in a design change.

I don't expect you will get much sympathy from Hyundai or the dealer or many board members either. Feel free to contact them but just giving you a heads up that you will most likely get nothing and they will most likely say it's changes that happens all the time and they don't expect to compensate previous owners.
GREAT post by Souks! I agree with everything you've said.

And to Dave, I dont know you personally but what I am going to say is a generalization based on a variety of posts Ive seen you make on this forum. This is not intended to be a personal attack on you, so please dont take it that way.

Anyway, it seems like you are rather unhappy overall with your decision to buy your car. I've seen you post more than one about how unhappy you are that Hyundai is making some midyear changes to the car:

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...c=53852&hl=

I've seen you make several posts on this forum critizicing the sound system.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...st&p=361150

You've posted that if you were in America, youd rather get a used Lexus than a new Sonata.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...c=53622&hl=

You found the rear middle seat to have "apalling" legroom.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...c=50493&hl=

You dont like the exposed paint around the inside door frames.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...c=50330&hl=

I'm not trying to stalk all your posts, but I quickly found all these threads on a single search of posts using your screenname. I understand that people can sometimes get passionate about the cars they own and have nitpicks, but over the past few months, many of the more memorable negative posts have been yours.

Again, this isnt intended as a personal attack, just my observation that it sounds like you would have been happier in a different car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm more likely to die in a front impact in my older 2011 Sonata than someone else is in their "newer" 2011 Sonata.

That seems like more of a problem then a newer suspension. It's what we sign up for for being the first with something new.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look I agree with what everyone here says about it being the nature of buying consumer goods. But the fact is, less than 1,000 i45s were sold before they announced the changes. If 10,000 had been sold prior, it might be a different story. AND, car companies offering customers compensation is NOT unheard of, at least here. 2 years ago, Mazda slashed the price on the 'Mazda6', very shortly after the car was released, and offered customers compensation who bought at the old price (though only a small fraction of the difference). There's at least one other incident of this occuring that I can think of. So, there is a precedent, and the fact that so few i45s were sold up until now might mean my chances are better than if a boatload had been sold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree with the others that asking for compensation is ridiculous. The gamble of buying a car immediately after a re-design is that there may be tweaks later that your car doesn't have.

The precedent you mentioned about Mazda is comparing apples to oranges. Mazda lowered their price, they didn't tweak the car and lower the price.

And the fact that fewer than 1000 cars were sold in Australia before the tweak is also irrelevant. As someone else mentioned, I doubt they have a special Australian only suspension so most likely the same suspension setup was/is used on cars sold in several different countries. They may have sold 15,000 of the car collectively.

And your letter says basically that if Hyundai pays you, you'll have a better opinion of your car. If that's really how you feel, that you don't like your car unless they pay you, then sell it and buy a tired old model that's been out for years. Then you'll have a car you like.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, the Mazda situation was different. In this case, Hyundai have actually increased prices, so they could argue that I am due no compensation because I paid less. The fact remains though that I have NEVER heard of a car maker significantly upgrading the suspension (or any other major mechanical component) of a vehicle 5 months after it went on sale. Journalists here did admit that it was sub-par, and the car should have never been released to the Australian public with sub-par steering and suspension. To me, this indicates pure greed on behalf of Hyundai. I bet they knew about the upgrade all along. In other words - rather than hold off and delay and the model even further, they figured they'd con the first couple thousand suckers into buying one. And yes, the suspension upgrade is unique to Australia.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you truly feel that "you are entitled to compensation", which is the phrasing you used in your original post, then why are you even soliciting opinions on the matter? Write your letter and see what happens.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (shelion @ Oct 11 2010, 11:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362895
If you truly feel that "you are entitled to compensation", which is the phrasing you used in your original post, then why are you even soliciting opinions on the matter? Write your letter and see what happens.
I faxed through my letter today. Will update this thread as soon as I receive a reply.

By the way, to Mike Eckman who browsed through my post history (which I do feel is prying, by the way), a few of those complaints I made are no longer really relevant.

The one about the rear headroom being inadequate, for example, I found was due to the pana roof. I later sat in a model in a showroom that didn't have the roof, and the headroom in the middle seat was fine. I even updated the thread to write about this, but obviously you didn't read it.

The exposed paint around the door frames - again, it was something that surprised me only when I first noticed it. I have now accepted it, and found it in many other cars in the same price range.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I want compensation too. Soon after I bought my Santa Fe 3.3, they came out with a 3.5. It's an admission from Hyundai that the 3.3 is inadequate.

Don't even get me started on "new and improved" laundry detergent. :grin:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (Don67 @ Oct 12 2010, 05:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=362920
I want compensation too. Soon after I bought my Santa Fe 3.3, they came out with a 3.5. It's an admission from Hyundai that the 3.3 is inadequate.

Don't even get me started on "new and improved" laundry detergent. :grin:
OK, but there is one difference here to all of the other cars on the market that are constantly upgraded and changed. And that is this:

The i45 is completely new NAMEPLATE in this country. It's not an upgrade on any previous or existing model. It is meant to be a clean break from the old Sonata, in every way. This fact makes it even more embarassing that Hyundai stuffed up the suspension and other things. If they were so serious about getting it right and breaking away from the past, they should have had it perfected from the beginning.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts