Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid 1250 for this car a couple of months ago it has about 143000 miles on it, here is the list of problems;
1. Burns oil most likely needs valve covers replaced, when started occasionally a lot of white smoke comes from the exhaust.
2. Recently got louder and now the check engine light is on Autozone, said it was the O2 sensor however it is most likely the exhaust, not quite sure yet.
3. Needs new airconditioner belt/possible reload or however it is said(sorry if my terminology is off).
4. Only the tape play works now, I have no Idea why speakers need replaced(I drive long distances so I need radio, right now I just hook my mp3 to it, but when its cold like this morning about 50 degrees the tape deck doesn't want to work either, I can replace speakers, and the radio no problem, I have done it before, its just a pain, it appears too small!?!?!.
5. One of the wheels has a broken off lugnut(not the right word, I am sick and can't think of the word, I am wanting to say strut but thats not it). The piece the lugnut hooks to.
6. Probably needs knew brake shoes, and pads.
7. Hatchback, has either been replaced on this car, or the lock just won't turn, so I can open it but not lock it.
8. I live in an area, higly succeptable to snow and ice, and the windshield washer doesn't work, I need deicer for the winter, so the resivoir I believe, needs changed.
9. Rear wiper doesn't work, and the front wiper is jerry rigged to work.
10. Needs new coil packs, I believe, when its really most outside runs ruff, and some idiot broke off the middle bolt on the center cover that covers the spark plugs, so that could be the cause as well.
11. My major fear is that the oil burning is worse then I am thinking it is.
My question is this, how long is this car likely to last? Is it even worth restoring to a workable, decent, looking car. My family were autobody men, so I can make it look good, paints still good, and we have already knocked out most the dents. Should I spend the money on this thing? When I bought it, it ran great, I didn't notice the broken off lug, because hubcaps, and minor things like the hatchback, and didn't notice it was burning oil, because thats hard to check unless I mad the dude come back every couple of days. I knew the airconditoner didn't work, but that wasn't a problem, and didn't realize I would have to remove the resivoir for windshield washer fluid from under the car, all the other stuff has just been adding up.

Plus it still runs regardless, still gets **** good gas mileage, and I was surprised at the pick up. Back a couple of years ago, I had a 1.3 liter Geo Metro(a four cylinder) and this **** thing's pretty quick compared to that, I would even say has more pick up initially than my 99 Sebring LXi(notorious for shaking, and noise at highway speeds). Or course with this car being a stick there is a **** of a lot more control in that. Also, whole lot smoother on the road than the Sebring even though it doesn't turn as well.

Also, does anyone have a list of the fuse box, per say which fuse effects what? For this year of car. I know where it is, just no paperwork. Just highly annoyed....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not seeing the car, it's hard to tell whether you got any kind of a deal or not. The engine doesn't sound extremely promising, but if the body is in good shape, the car is probably worth repairing. The oil burning will be more than just a valve cover leaking, this could well be an indicator that your rings need attention or the valve stem seals are shot. You can check things out with a compression and leak-down test to see how "tight" the engine really is, but the thing that would worry me the most would be whether the timing belt has been replaced - if not, it's likely to let go at any time, giving you a major reason to get yourself a good used motor from a salvage yard. The other stuff you list might need a number of hours to repair but not all that difficult. To get started on the right foot, I'd get set up on the Hyundai service site that's mentioned on this site and also get yourself a copy of a service manual - there's a fairly long post on this forum that has links for quite a few different manuals and the one for your car is definitely in there (I know because I got one).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts