Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I've heard that tint shops outline the tint on the outside of the window? Is that true or can they do it from the inside too?

My trouble is that I already have window visors installed, which wouldn't be a problem to remove and put back on... however, I'm thinking about purchasing a roof spoiler soon.

Should I get tint first? Or does it even matter?

·
Registered
156 Posts
never heard of tinting going on the outside. it's goes on the inside. they only put the tint on the outside to get a measrument and trace they shape of your window.e

·
Registered
988 Posts
When tinit gets applied it 1st gets put on the outside of the window so they can cut it to size and they heat it up so it heats up and takes the shape once they do that they then transfer it to the inside of the window when i got my tinit done i had vent shades on my car and it wasnt a problem they did it with the vent shades on the roof spiler on the other hand i think that might be a problem since they wont be able to cut the tint right with the roof spoiler in the way,so just wait to put the spoiler on till after the tint is done just a word of advice make sure that they dont cut the brake light out cuz it looks so ugly when they cut it out i made sure to tell them not to cut it out and just tint over it

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yes get your tints first. Also, make sure you go to a legit shop that do professional work and use great film. Do some research on the film. I had to trade in my 09 Sonata for the 10 because of cheap film. It was poorly done and the film turned purple after acouple of months. I couldnt tell they used cheap film because i didnt know any better. When i purchased my current vehicle i told them to set an appointment with the dealership's "tint guy" because i knew they would'nt use crappy film. Now i am at peace with my tinted windows :grin:

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
QUOTE (Supernova88642 @ Dec 13 2010, 06:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379288
When tinit gets applied it 1st gets put on the outside of the window so they can cut it to size and they heat it up so it heats up and takes the shape once they do that they then transfer it to the inside of the window when i got my tinit done i had vent shades on my car and it wasnt a problem they did it with the vent shades on the roof spiler on the other hand i think that might be a problem since they wont be able to cut the tint right with the roof spoiler in the way,so just wait to put the spoiler on till after the tint is done just a word of advice make sure that they dont cut the brake light out cuz it looks so ugly when they cut it out i made sure to tell them not to cut it out and just tint over it
+1

·
Registered
97 Posts
So...you are calling my car ugly :grin:

I tend to agree, typically it doesn't look great. Mine, on the other hand was done by a professional tint shop with the darkest legal tint I could get here in Idaho, and I think the back cutout looks pretty good compared to others who've had theirs cut out. I'm not a fan of the tinting over the light just because your third brake light disappears and for darker colored cars this isn't a good thing (especially red or black). There is a black Sonata who I tend to meet up with in my morning commute and they have their third brake light tinted. I notice my reaction time being a little slower, and I attribute it to the tint and always have, even before this thread.

I also wanted to mention, make sure all the "lines" on your rear defrost work since I bought my car in the spring, had it tinted in early summer, and now its winter the top four defrost "lines" don't work. If I get the window fixed I have to replace the tint. Not that important, and I'll just live with it but I do notice and wish it worked when I'm scraping ice off my back window in the morning. There's another forum somewhere about the defrost being a problem with others too.

As others have said, make sure to go to a professional tint job, you will be much happier. The guy who tinted my car has had over 30 years experience and I believe that is why my little back light cutout looks so good in comparison to others. A good professional tinter will be able to work around the spoiler, and I know my guy measures from the inside, not the outside, however, I know typically they do measure from the outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
The car still looks good just not as good lol what ive thought aboutt as a soultion for that is to tint the cut out a lighter color then the actual tint on the window so say is you have 5% tint on the back get the cut out tinted 35% so its still lighter and able to be seen easier but it dosent have the untinted color it might just be me being anal about things lol and for the trouble of tinting the brake a lighter color you could just tint over the brake light complelty with one shade of tint

·
Registered
97 Posts
QUOTE (Supernova88642 @ Dec 13 2010, 11:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379374
The car still looks good just not as good lol what ive thought aboutt as a soultion for that is to tint the cut out a lighter color then the actual tint on the window so say is you have 5% tint on the back get the cut out tinted 35% so its still lighter and able to be seen easier but it dosent have the untinted color it might just be me being anal about things lol and for the trouble of tinting the brake a lighter color you could just tint over the brake light complelty with one shade of tint
35% is what is on my car and it looks great. You can get your back side windows done at 20%, but for uniformity since the rear window has to be 35%, I did the same all around. 5% is not legal in Idaho, and a cutout in 5% tint would look ridiculous, I agree. All depends on the tint % and your car IMHO. Also this brings up something else...before I got the car tinted I could see out the windows easier. Now at 35% it is harder. I wouldn't recommend doing anything darker than 35% just for this factor. Also, it seems very hard to back out of places in this car because you can't see out the rear window very well to begin with and the tint doesn't help (no I am not short, that is not the problem, i'm about a quarter or less of an inch away from the ceiling in my Sonata, and YES, my seat is all the way down :) ). Darker the tint=harder to see, both ways. Does protect me from the sun though and it keeps my car cool during the triple digit weather of the summer :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts