Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation.
My 12 Accent SE has 19,300 miles and I owe $11,8xx dollars on it. I am extremely happy with how it drives and feels.
I am not at all happy with the 24-25 mpg overall and have thought of trading it in or selling it. Part of me would feel bad for the next owner of this car and thought **** thats not fair to someone to do it to them. Plus they dont get the gas rebate I do.

I have thought of going to a Honda Fit or Yaris cause those 2 cars hit the gas mileage marks and I have had excellent experience with Honda cars and motorcycles.

So there it is, love and hate the car. I am not in a upside down situation unless I trade it in since the dealer will lowball with low KBB figures and than sell it with high NADA numbers. I know that game.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'd recommend a Honda Fit! IMO, its a weaker engine/car, but they sure are reliable and can go above the rated MPG under the right driving conditions.

Don't bother with a Yaris (either hatchback or sedan).

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would say honda fit as well much better mpg.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of why the poor mileage? That doesn't seem as a normal range even with the automatic ( which is supposed to be the same as the manual but isn't ). I understand that areas of Colorado and New Mexico get 85 octane regular unleaded. I'm assuming it's not crap gas that might be causing it...

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,225 Posts
You should get better fuel economy than that. I recently drove one nearly 200 miles and it did quite well. If you don't like the car, however, consider the Elantra. It's the best car in Hyundai's line-up dollar for dollar. I own one plus a Sonata.

As far as the next owner, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm guessing you are primarily doing city driving. No car will get fuel economy in the city. That is just a fact.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also like the new Kia Soul, looks like a video game from the back.

I do 80% city driving, was hoping for at leat 28mpg or 30. Its not happening ever in my Accent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do at least 80% of my driving in the city with construction and lovely Tampa traffic. My commute is an hour one way. I also have to wait in a school car line every day for about 20 minutes. My gas mileage is always above 28, usually 29 or higher. And I have a bit of a lead foot. Is it possible that your driving habits are part of the reason why it's not higher?

·
Registered
529 Posts
98% of my driving is in the city as well and I average 24-28 mpg. While that seems like bad mileage, I have the exact same driving habits now as I did when I drove a 2002 Ford Focus (which I traded it in for my Accent in October 2012). I never tracked the mileage on my Focus but time-wise, I got about five weeks worth of driving on a tank of gas; I currently fill up my Accent every seven to eight weeks. So, even though the mileage readings I'm getting aren't 'all that', I'm happy that it's so much better than my previous vehicle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I see people on here talking about getting 20-22 mpg and the third question asked ( after what kind of gas and are you always above 3500 rpms ?) is do you drive primarily city miles. If you only drive three miles to work and back you should likely be getting mid to high 20s. I don't think a Fit is going to deviate from that too much. The one time I hand calculated a city-only half tank I got about 28.5 mpg which is at the EPA rating. I have ridden in a Fit...and although they're really functional and fun cars...IMO they're buzzy and high-strung to an annoying level...they're doing 3000 rpms plus at 70 mph, have a choppier ride, etc. Even if you're getting 24 mpg in city mileage, I don't think there's much of an upside unless you just really don't like the Accent or need some feature of the Fit or Soul that trumps keeping the Accent and it's worth it to you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also like the new Kia Soul, looks like a video game from the back.

I do 80% city driving, was hoping for at leat 28mpg or 30. Its not happening ever in my Accent.

If your not getting the MPG you want with the Accent, how in the heck do you think you will get it in a Soul? It is rated lower than the Accent in MPG and is made by the same company.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, the Soul has the same 1.6 engine as in our Accents and think they have a higher HP engine to choose from. I just like the little bit of extra room in there and ease of getting in and out in the Soul.
However, my balance on my car is not too bad- I have not been upside down on a car in ages. Owing 11,8xx has me seeing some daylight to that magical zero car balance!

I always drive slow, in the freeway I am on the slow lane cause these little engines are in its powerband so to speak. The more harder it works the less engine life.

Again I love this car, just confused why with today's super tight and controlled factories some Accents get super high mileage while some here get like V6 Car MPGs.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do at least 80% of my driving in the city with construction and lovely Tampa traffic. My commute is an hour one way. I also have to wait in a school car line every day for about 20 minutes. My gas mileage is always above 28, usually 29 or higher. And I have a bit of a lead foot. Is it possible that your driving habits are part of the reason why it's not higher?
That is excellent gas MPG, ;). Keep your car its treating you nice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Do you use name brand / Top Tier gas versus the quickie mart gas? I know someone with a 2012 Sonata that used cheap gas for 25K miles and their mileage was pretty bad. They put in a bottle of Techron and only used Chevron or Shell after that and their mileage situation corrected itself. That's why I asked in the earlier post above 85 octane gas which is evidently sold in the high plains area up through Colorado. It seems to me that these cars are sensitive to the quality of gas versus a standard MPI engine so it's a bigger issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you use name brand / Top Tier gas versus the quickie mart gas? I know someone with a 2012 Sonata that used cheap gas for 25K miles and their mileage was pretty bad. They put in a bottle of Techron and only used Chevron or Shell after that and their mileage situation corrected itself. That's why I asked in the earlier post above 85 octane gas which is evidently sold in the high plains area up through Colorado. It seems to me that these cars are sensitive to the quality of gas versus a standard MPI engine so it's a bigger issue.
Try 3 tanks at one station and the go to another station and do the same and watch what happens to your MPG then try another station.
Now use the gas you got the highest MPG with as a new control before trying out other stations if you want to.

I'm happy with my MPG so I have stopped looking for stations.

I have 4 local stations I will go to, with most fill ups at the Top Tier station down the street from my house.

I also have 3 stations I won't go to, 1 of which I see a 2 MPG decrease every time and the only reason I ever went back to them is I was given a gas card to it as a gift.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't know if it's really variation in the cars so much as variation in the way they are driven. If most of your driving is short hop trips, and your avg miles per hour is low, then I think the Accent just isn't going to give good fuel economy. The engine is tuned very well for cruising, 45-65 mph. But if you're speeding up and braking all the time, it's just not very good. THe RB Accent is pretty large for the displacement of the engine, I think. That makes it more versatile maybe than a truly tiny car like a Mazda2, but the extra size hits the Accent's city MPGs pretty hard.

My mother bought a 2013 Accent SE as a second car. Hers has the automatic transmission and mine is manual. If I drive hers on the highway, zeroing out the MPGometer when I set out, I get the same or very nearly the same 40+ MPG I get in my AccentGS w/ the skinny tires. But when she drives her Accent following her normal pattern of short trips, her fuel economy is not appreciably better than her 4.6 liter, 320hp, rear wheel drive V8 Cadillac STS sedan (driven the same way to her daily destinations). It's shocking. Maybe the Caddy is 18MPG and the Accent is 22MPG. It's hardly an improvement to get excited over. Fortunately, getting better fuel economy wasn't her reason for buying a second car. Her avg speed in the Accent is a blistering 16mph, whereas most of my miles are on the highway and my avg speed is 28mph. And there's the source of the difference in our fuel economy.
The surest way to know how a car will perform for you and how good or bad its fuel economy will be in your typical driving is to borrow one from a dealer. Second best way is probably to check fuelly.com to see what people are actually getting and reporting. But then you still don't know how well their driving situations match up to yours.

·
Registered
49 Posts
DO Not buy another Hyundai. I was threatened by a so-called manager at the call center the other day who said "we will no longer investigate any MPG issues on my 16 MPG City Accent and we will not take the car back." Seriously, I have never dealt with a company with such poor customer service. Also, the dealership where I got the car has a video of the manager who promises 100% satisfaction but refuses to do anything for me either. I am looking at buying a slightly used Corolla now as they last forever and Toyota stands by it's warranty, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That is excellent gas MPG, ;). Keep your car its treating you nice.
use top brand gas ( mobil, hess, shell, etc.) and also use full synthetic oil. you can get 5w-30 full synthetic oil at Wal-Mart in their brand for about $17 for 5 gallon jug.

have your oil and filter changed spring/fall, about 6 months apart. should be good for around 10k.

first test out which brand your car runs best on, then shop for price using gas buddy app on your computer or smartphone.

stay away from the elantra sedan. bad power to weight ratio ( 1.8L) and el-cheapo rear suspension. look at 2014 kia forte instead with 2.0L/ GDI engine or 1.6L turbo. jmo.:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
DO Not buy another Hyundai. I was threatened by a so-called manager at the call center the other day who said "we will no longer investigate any MPG issues on my 16 MPG City Accent and we will not take the car back." Seriously, I have never dealt with a company with such poor customer service. Also, the dealership where I got the car has a video of the manager who promises 100% satisfaction but refuses to do anything for me either. I am looking at buying a slightly used Corolla now as they last forever and Toyota stands by it's warranty, at least in my experience.
if you had it in 3 times and they can't fix it, you can file under state lemon laws. a ruling in your favor means they HAVE to buy it back.^_^

1 - 20 of 22 Posts