Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you buy it again? I am looking at 07-12 Santa Fe AWD under 100,000 miles - but it is offered with no warranty from a dealer. I could buy an after market warranty but the car is at the top of my price range and can't do it. after reading some threads I see transmission issues in 2010 and some engine issues. Would you do it again are they reliable enough for a budget conscious family?
thank you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don/t waste your money on a high mileage used car with no warranty you'll have nothing but problems down the road, take the funds you would have spent on this unit and put it into a new one get the lowest finance available and finance it over 7 years with an extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Up to 2009 they're good with the 3.3L engine only. After that stay away and run as fast as you can from the. The 3.5L have been pull in new production. Used buyer will have a nightmare and no warranty. Look elsewhere if that's the case.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought my 2010 3.5 AWD used with a 60 day warranty, and I am glad I did due to the known transmission issue. It has had no other problems since the transmission was replaced. Meanwhile my sister has a 2012 which has had no issues. We both really happy with them at his point. The ride is very nice, plenty of power and good gas mileage for large AWD vehicles. Aside from the 2010's transmission, which was repaired by the dealer, I would buy a 2011 or later, but would want at least a 30 warranty on any used car I buy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you I have been reading the forums about the engine and transmission issues I hope they fix all the issues cuz from a new car standpoint it sounds like you can't beat the warranty they offer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2011 Santa Fe AWD with 80K on it over a year ago, 30 day warranty from Car Max. No issues with it for the past year and have put 12K on it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Stay away from the 2010. Otherwise, you should be good with the '11 or '12. The 3.5l V6 is a fantastic motor, it pulls strong and gets good mpg's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I were you would probably look at a RAV 4 the Santa fe's are nice but not as reliable as toyotas or hondas. To just even replace the alternator in the santa fe is a pain in the ass and very expensive. I don't hate my santa fe its been ok but will not be buying another one for sure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I looked at the Toyota Rav4 and I like it a lot, but needed the extra room of the Santa Fe. The 3.5 is very smooth and plenty of power when loaded with passengers. If not for the space and extra horsepower, the RAV4 might have been my choice. My mpg in town is about 18-19, and on the highway 26mpg with 3 passengers and A/C on at 75 mph. Not bad for a large V6 vehicle. Much better than my 2003 Ford Explorer.
My only problems with the Santa Fe, outside of the '10 transmission, were ball joints at 50,000 and drop links at 65,000 miles. My replacement transmission is working great though. I would skip the 2010's and look at the 2011 and 2012.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I bought my '12 SF Limited almost exactly a year ago from Carmax. It now has about 54,300 miles on it.

The 3.5 is one entertainingly strong engine, prompting serious grins when passing on a two-lane road. Torque steer can be fun if you expect it. Fuel consumption is typically 21 MPG on the daily 22-mile commute. I have seen the upper 20's once with steady 70 MPH on a mostly flat interstate, but typical long trip mileage is around 25-27 MPG. I got the used car warranty for the peace of mind but the only thing that is wrong is the left rear door lock motor occasionally not wanting to unlock the first time. That's it.

The Sumitomo tires that came with it are great handling with a five-belt tread that makes for a rough ride, but that's not the car.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2010 SF SE with V6 and AWD. No major issues with the trans (knocking on wood!!!), but I will take it in for ANY issue that could even remotely be trans-related to ensure a record was generated in case it goes south. I did have a warranty repair on the engine when the intake manifold cracked creating a very slow coolant leak. The 3.5 V6 is a magnificent engine (with timing chains) that has great pickup and good highway mileage. After the mediocre OEM Kumho Solus tires were replaced with Michelin Premier A/S it was even better, especially in the wet, and for gas mileage.

I love the vehicle, but to me they are not a good car to risk a no warranty situation and I am nearing the end. I have found Hyundai service cost to be a bit on the high side and original Hyundai parts costs to be on the high side. For instance Hyundai front rotors for the SF cost more than Mercedes drilled vented rotors for our 2005 Mercedes sport coupe.

I am going to replace it, but I want a slightly larger vehicle and a V-6 is mandatory. Finding the same in a 2012 with relatively low mileage has been hard. Unfortunately, my measurements indicate the new large SF with its 3rd row seats will not give much more room due to the 3rd row of seats, even when folded, and it feels less nimble than the SF.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
285 Posts
hows a come there's no mention of the 07-09 with the 2.7 in this here thread? if you're going to buy one with no warranty your better off looking at cars for sale from private owners.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
hows a come there's no mention of the 07-09 with the 2.7 in this here thread? if you're going to buy one with no warranty your better off looking at cars for sale from private owners.
why stop there. My 2003 2.7 is still driving well at 178k miles.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
3.3L only if look at 2009 or 08. More trouble with the 2.7L, less power and timing belt cost is there. Not worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts