Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an '09 Sonata GLS. I was unhappy with what I called "soupy" steering. My driving age son calls it "meandering." But I adjusted to it and am quite happy overall with the car. I was also unhappy with the harsh ride especially at the rear. However, I just passed the basic 60K warranty and am now on 61K+. The Sonatas available in my area are for year model 2013. How are they now? Better steering? Smoother ride? Although I am scheduled for a test drive, I don't know if I could detect what I don't like on a short drive. I did test drive the 09s several times at different dealers and did not recognize what I criticize later as soupy steering and harsh ride. Another problem is that I have difficulty locating the iridescent blue color that I like. BTW. The steering feel I got used to are in Volkswagens, Hondas and Nissans. I did drive Toyotas and I found the steering feel tepid but not as soupy as my Sonata '09. My other choices now are narrowed to: Subaru Legacy, the new Kodo design Mazda 6, and Ford Fusion. Price wise of course, the Sonata leads in economy. I am about to rule out Legacy because of the aging body design and I don't want to be the last chump to buy it when it is redesigned. But I am attracted to its AWD because I have to drive sometimes in the snow. Because I have a typical Asian built (long torso with comparably short legs), I have difficulty getting into the low roofline of the new M6 having to twist my neck. I know I should put my head in first before my body, but I keep forgetting and I lose my balance when I do that. But of course I could enter it like a girl in skirts (rear end first) but what would that do to my manly image? Ford Fusion has no extensive reliability ratings yet. Same with the new M6. Can somebody help me sort out my pros and cons and make a definite suggestion?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Why don't you test drive other makes/models, too? My perception is that Hyundai is still a step behind the other major brands.

Plus, your car only has 60k miles. why replace it? That's very low mileage.

A good alignment could fix your meandering steering issues, possibly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for quick reply

Thanks Stephen for the quick reply. The 60 K passover is for the basic bumper to bumper. I think I can buy an extended warranty for that but from whom? I am still far behind the powertrain warranty of 100K. But I may surpass it also soon because I would driving 400 miles round trip twice a month from this Fall through Winter 2014. That is apart from my daily driving so I would be shaving close to 100K. I have been faithful to my miles check-up with an authorized dealer and no comment has been made on the steering so I think it is all right by Hyundai standards. I am attracted now to the Mazda 6 basic automatic but I would be spending about 2 grand more "out the door" compared to the Sonata GLS and the colors available in my area are limited. I am aiming for the blues but all they have are the red, black and silver.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Your mileage is so low that you likely won't have any major issues with your car for a while, unless you're very unlucky. A major failure like a blown engine (pretty uncommon) would be covered under your power train warranty. And even if you did, they would probably cost less to fix than an extended warranty or a new car purchase will cost you.

I guess if you believe you have to have a full warranty at all times, then you might as well buy a new car. It's your money, spend it how you please.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Could you motivation for a vehicle purchase be derived from a want to own a new car and not from the unreliability of the NF sonatas.

I drive my 2006 extremely rough pretty much all the time and she has 108K miles on her. The motor is extremely strong and the transmission, to my surprise, still runs really really well. If you hate the ride why not just swap the shocks out to something more to your liking? Koni makes a great adjustable shock and a full set will only cost you about 500. To me this is significantly less than the purchase of a new car.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is no doubt the steering on my 06 Sonata isn't as tight as a Toyota or Honda, I think thats just by design. A good set of tires might help, weighing the pros and cons

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is no doubt the steering on my 06 Sonata isn't as tight as a Toyota or Honda, I think thats just by design. A good set of tires might help, weighing the pros and cons
Agreed. After changing the original tires the car tracks beautifully.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I am assuming your sonata is paid off....cause I don't see any reason why someone would be looking into a 13' model if they only have 65k miles on their NF.
Enjoy no car payments, your car shouldn't have any major issues any time soon with that kind of mileage

1 - 9 of 9 Posts