Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has had 1 owner and they are at 99,000 miles pushing 100k. It has been checked out by the dealer's mechanics (not hyundai, just a car dealer) and it checks out fine. Is that too much to pay for that car? Please list reason's why, since the dealer seems to think that is a very cheap price.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
You should always get your own or an independent mechanic to look at it. The dealers is always going to act like he's doing you a favor at the price he's asking.

·
Registered
565 Posts
IMO is to high for a stick shift Sonata, with 100k, 9 year old. At 100k all kinds of mechanical issues start to emerge, it's like a magic number.
You will look at front end issues, struts-shocks all around, brakes, baked rubber hoses that are cracking, transmission fluid, fuel pump/ filter, alternator, water pump, O2 sensors, timing belt if wasn't done by now, oil pressure/oil leaks (depending of previous maintenance)... Even spark plugs are an issue if wasn't done by now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's higher than mine was worth and I had the auto version, but I also had 184K on it. Unless it's in pristine condition and you can get an okay from a mechanic that isn't associated with the dealer, I'd walk away unless they drop the price at least another $1000.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that is a bit high, unless it is in great shape and all maintenance has been done, ie timing belt change, brakes in good shape, regular oil changes, newer tires and the like. Good luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Agree to the 4K under the condition the seller will replace the timing belt....Because at 100K miles if the timing belt has not been replaced the engine is on borrowed time....If the seller has verifiable proof it's be changed, then asking price is not to far off, if no verifiable proof then I'd offer 3K and go get it replaced..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts