Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread erased due to my horrible writing skills and inability to actually express my point here.

Sorry for wasting your time.

·
Banned
630 Posts
back in 1999 I brought my brand new Chevy Blazer into a local chevy dealer for service. I bought it at a dealer 50 miles further away than the local one. As soon as I drove in they gave me **** about servicing a vehicle they did not sell me.

I immediately hopped out of my truck and gave them some "NYer attitude" lol.....I told them they could take my truck and shove it up their asses for all I care. I just wanted it serviced under warranty. I said "So you're telling me you won't service a truck that YOUR COMPANY made?... Perhaps I should call up GM and see what their thoughts are behind this."

Less than 5min later, they pulled her in.

BOTTOMLINE...a dealership can't refuse to service a car they didn't sell you. THEY CAN HOWEVER, refuse to give u a loaner.

but as for your complaining about the trade in and their lies.....if you didn't want lies, you shouldn't have bought the car at a dealer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ Jul 15 2010, 01:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342012
back in 1999 I brought my brand new Chevy Blazer into a local chevy dealer for service. I bought it at a dealer 50 miles further away than the local one. As soon as I drove in they gave me **** about servicing a vehicle they did not sell me.

I immediately hopped out of my truck and gave them some "NYer attitude" lol.....I told them they could take my truck and shove it up their asses for all I care. I just wanted it serviced under warranty. I said "So you're telling me you won't service a truck that YOUR COMPANY made?... Perhaps I should call up GM and see what their thoughts are behind this."

Less than 5min later, they pulled her in.

BOTTOMLINE...a dealership can't refuse to service a car they didn't sell you. THEY CAN HOWEVER, refuse to give u a loaner.

but as for your complaining about the trade in and their lies.....if you didn't want lies, you shouldn't have bought the car at a dealer.
This is totally true. Sure the sign on the car may say 14k, but this is how dealerships work. They prey on your ignorance to keep the price down on the trade-in and now they will prey on the ignorance of the next buyer to keep the price UP. This is how they make profit, and honestly, legally, there is nothing wrong with it. Personally, I feel I could probably make a good paycheck as a car salesman, but the ethical stances I would have to take prevent me from doing so. It's just a very dishonest field with only money as the motivating factor. Like NT2SHBBY said, if you didn't want dishonesty, you shouldn't have gone to a dealer.

Strike that... if you didn't want dishonesty you shouldn't have even bought a car... even private sellers are scam artists... and all we have to hold their feet to the fire are vehicle history reports. Heck, I traded in my '10 Corolla for my Sonata and it had been in an accident but even that didn't show up on the vehicle report... but I disclosed it anyways and the dealers just passed it off like it was nothing. No record? No problem.

Now, not to say I'm making a blanket statement here, but there are indeed honest salesman and dealerships out there... it's just VERY hard to find them. It's either find an honest dealer or MAKE them honest. Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wait a second, I had to re-read your OP. A car dealership ACTUALLY lied to you and tried to take advantage of you with your trade-in??????
Wow! I am shocked! I don't think this has ever happened before to anyone. Why do you think they are called stealerships. Screwing over customers is a daily sport for them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with everything you guys are saying. And fully understand the dealer bad rep.

I just can't over that this particular dealer is so greedy they felt the need to lie and squeeze me out of $300 more dollars knowing full well they were going to keep my car and sell it for 4-5K profit.

I wouldn't even be mad if they would have just gave me a firm $9800 offer for my car and flat out told me they were going to try and sell it for 15k. I still would have done the deal.

The fact that went this far to make $5300 off me instead of $5000 goes way beyond simple "dishonesty" IMO.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (chitown1211 @ Jul 15 2010, 02:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342026
I agree with everything you guys are saying. And fully understand the dealer bad rep.

I just can't over that this particular dealer is so greedy they felt the need to lie and squeeze me out of $300 more dollars knowing full well they were going to keep my car and sell it for 4-5K profit.

I wouldn't even be mad if they would have just gave me a firm $9800 offer for my car and flat out told me they were going to try and sell it for 15k. I still would have done the deal.

The fact that went this far to make $5300 off me instead of $5000 goes way beyond simple "dishonesty" IMO.
Just think about commission here. Depending on how they divvy up the cash to their salesman, that could have been $300 in hard cash for the salesman... and if I can get $300 for a few hours of work, I'd try hard as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
1. They most likely won't get the full asking price for that car. Look up the internet price for that car.
2. If you get mad at this, you will be getting mad for the rest of your life.
3. "Don't worry, be happy"!

·
Registered
367 Posts
No, you can't be mad at your dealer. They didn't hold a gun to your head and make you take the deal. You had all the opportunity to look up all the information before you went to the dealer and you could have walked away at any time.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2006/Chrysl...ndard-Equipment

That is a link to the 2006 300 Touring; I am not sure what options you picked. Average trade in is $11,150 (with standard options). My credit union values cars based on NADA standards, so I used their website.

I think you got a great deal for a horrible car. (I have had two friends that complained about that thing until they finally sold it). The dealer also has to pay a type of inventory tax for the cars on their lot, but i think that is annual. Hopefully any smart consumer wouldn't go pick that car up for the sticker price of $14,999. I'm sure they would go in and offer $10K and then negotiate up no higher than $11.5K

So their overall profit on the car is going to be around $2,000.

I don't mean to seem harsh in this e-mail, but these companies are not charity. They are in it for profits. They will either get you in the beginning or in parts and labor later on. People need to be responsible for the actions they make.

Overall, I think you got a great deal and you shouldn't beat yourself up over a few hundred dollars. I hope you can keep your leased vehicle under the required annual amount of miles. Or you will be posting again on how mad you are on the fees they charge if you go over max miles for your lease.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Jul 15 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342022
Wait a second, I had to re-read your OP. A car dealership ACTUALLY lied to you and tried to take advantage of you with your trade-in??????
Wow! I am shocked! I don't think this has ever happened before to anyone. Why do you think they are called stealerships. Screwing over customers is a daily sport for them.
so you're saying you either stole your car, or got it given to you???

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Jul 15 2010, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342022
Wow! I am shocked! I don't think this has ever happened before to anyone.
I'm with you - and in America yet!

It may be another sign of the apocalypse!

Seriously, if you researched the cars here on the Net and knew what your old car was worth, then as long as you feel you got a reasonable deal then move on and enjoy your new Sonata.

You'll have a less stressful life if you can do this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow, nobody told me there was going to be math on this thread.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (Proprioceptive @ Jul 15 2010, 02:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342028
Just think about commission here. Depending on how they divvy up the cash to their salesman, that could have been $300 in hard cash for the salesman... and if I can get $300 for a few hours of work, I'd try hard as well.

Geat point. And thats probably what it was. I actually know the salesman personaly and this sounds like something he would do.........people these days....

I think many of you are misunderstanding my "problem" here. I know full well what my 300 was worth. I could have maybe got 13k for it selling it on the street. I was more than willing to just get it payed off at 10,100. Imo once you add it all up its a wash even if they could get 13k for it. I don't care if they tried to sell it for 50k as long as I got my 10,100.

Obviously I should have just threaten to walk at $9800 and I am sure I would have gotten my $300. Lesson learned, I will immeadiately put in place an "Atleast one threaten walkout per car purchase" policy from now on.

I just didn't get why a dealership was strong arming me over $300 when they already had such a big profit in hand, but Proprioceptive explained it perfectly.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Okay, so the salesman probably engaged in a little storytelling while negotiating your trade allowance. Or maybe they really did intend to sell it to another dealer, and it fell through. That happens. Also, just because they stuck a sign in the window doesn't mean they will get that price. They will get much less, after doing the safety check, possibly fixing a few items, paying interest while it sits in inventory, and paying a salesman to sell it. And then - gasp - they might actually make a profit for the owner, who took the risk of buying your Chrysler with no guarantees from you, and who also probably mortgaged his home to build the dealership and employ all those people.

Yes, I used to work in the car business... and no, you should not be mad at your dealer. Just enjoy your Sonata :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
QUOTE (Don67 @ Jul 15 2010, 08:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342138
Okay, so the salesman probably engaged in a little storytelling while negotiating your trade allowance. Or maybe they really did intend to sell it to another dealer, and it fell through. That happens. Also, just because they stuck a sign in the window doesn't mean they will get that price. They will get much less, after doing the safety check, possibly fixing a few items, paying interest while it sits in inventory, and paying a salesman to sell it. And then - gasp - they might actually make a profit for the owner, who took the risk of buying your Chrysler with no guarantees from you, and who also probably mortgaged his home to build the dealership and employ all those people.

Yes, I used to work in the car business... and no, you should not be mad at your dealer. Just enjoy your Sonata :)

I must be typing in Chinese........ was my OP really this unclear??? Sorry on my part. Hopefully my last post clarified things.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The dealer has to prep your Car and/or detail it depending on the condition it was in when traded. They then have to warranty your unknown vehicle to the purchaser for atleast 30 days here in Virginia. And try to make a profit. As many already said, why do you make it seem like you're a victim of lies and manipulation when that is not true at all? Sounds to me like sour grapes and or buyers/sellers remorse.

·
Banned
630 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ Jul 15 2010, 05:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342101
No, I got ripped off at the stealership, just like the rest of you. All I am saying is don't be shocked when you go to a dealership and they try to pull one over on you.
at least we're all in the same sinking korean made boat :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Strike that... if you didn't want dishonesty you shouldn't have even bought a car...

That is one of the reason why I still drive my 2000 Accord when my gf's family have bought 3 new cars in the last 5 yrs. :innocent:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (Bingo Steve @ Jul 16 2010, 03:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342182
The dealer has to prep your Car and/or detail it depending on the condition it was in when traded. They then have to warranty your unknown vehicle to the purchaser for atleast 30 days here in Virginia. And try to make a profit. As many already said, why do you make it seem like you're a victim of lies and manipulation when that is not true at all? Sounds to me like sour grapes and or buyers/sellers remorse.

I guess I am typing in Chinese. Seriously, this is NOT my problem AT ALL. Let me just clear this up once and for all because I am just blown away how mis-understood this thread has become.

I DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH PROFIT THEY INTENDED TO MAKE ON MY TRADE. I could care less even if they tried to sell it for a MILLION dollars. That was NEVER my issue.

What I WAS mad about was why they went through all this trouble to get $300 more dollars off of me. I couldn't understand why the dealership wanted that $300 so bad when all the while they knew they already had a nice profit in hand from my trade.

NOW, I know that is was the salespersons doing and not the "dealership" as a whole. I am fine now. I am not mad at the "dealership".

All the crap you guys are talking about in this thread is NOT regarding my "issue" at all. Geez, Its like I posted in some dealer forum or something and you guys are all sensitive.

I don't know what else to say here. Propreoceptive seems to be the only person who understood what my issue was. Thank you for the insight.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts