Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my SE on a trip this weekend and thing were going fine until I reached the mountains. (Virginia "mountains" which are more like long hills than real mountains.) Four people plus luggage (about 800lbs) and suddenly my car suffered an acute an asthma attack. :cigareta: Horsepower is a little like mulch: No matter how much you have you always wish you had a little bit more. Anybody else having second thoughs about this?

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (jdubs @ May 17 2010, 04:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323732
I took my SE on a trip this weekend and thing were going fine until I reached the mountains. (Virginia "mountains" which are more like long hills than real mountains.) Four people plus luggage (about 800lbs) and suddenly my car suffered an acute an asthma attack. :cigareta: Horsepower is a little like mulch: No matter how much you have you always wish you had a little bit more. Anybody else having second thoughs about this?
Extra 800 lbs will make a difference for sure...I guess you can try to workout some deal when turbo will be out...Fortunately I don't have a problem like you on my SE... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (ula @ May 17 2010, 05:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323734
Extra 800 lbs will make a difference for sure...I guess you can try to workout some deal when turbo will be out...Fortunately I don't have a problem like you on my SE... :thumbsup:
I think that part of the problem i am having is getting used to the gearing. Even 5th is running at relatively low rpms at crusing speed. Note to self - Put car in D and stop pretending car is manual.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have to say that for me the turbo is the bad a$$ Sonata of the bunch. I'm looking to for Camry and Accord 6s to eat some Sonata tail pipe when I waste them in the bad lands! :grin:

Just kiddin' of course, I wouldn't do that to those two long in the tooth has beens now, would I? :innocent:

·
Registered
589 Posts
For an occasional trip with a full load in the mountains, it's not worth buying a larger engined (and more expensive) car for that one time (or two) you need extra power. If you have to do that often, then it's a different story. I personally much prefer a NA engine than FI (force induction), especially with the TX heat, but that's just me. When travelling on the CR-V (and now on the Sonata) with the family, you just have to be patient when passing on 2-lane highways. And also don't be afraid to rev the engine a little higher to be on the powerband, which is higher on DOHC engines (around the 4K mark).

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 17 2010, 06:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323815
Not really a race up the hill. Just look at semi's out there. Extra weight does put a burden, wouldn't worry about it. Next time just tell em to get out and push.
Did you ever see a semi do 120 uphill? I did and I still don't understand it. I passed him on the left lane of a Freeway. Did 132 MPH.

Worst move ever as I bogged down in 5th gear when I should have been in 4th. Yet this V6 Sonata has always continued to

impress me, even though the Transmission is pretty horrible. My opinion of waiting for the Turbo Sonata...You will always

regret it, however it is going to sell for TOP dollar, not like most of you did not pay Top Dollar for your 2011 :57:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Should you have waited? No.

The DI 2.4 is a great base engine.

I'll be waiting for the turbo Sonata myself. I can see a SE turbo in my future, as long as the price hike isn't more than $2,500-$3,000.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (jdubs @ May 17 2010, 04:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323732
No matter how much you have you always wish you had a little bit more.
True, and well stated! And that goes for the Turbo too!

Even if you get a car that's over powered, you will always run across a bigger hill. It's annoying
for 10 minutes, but the 34mpg should more than make up for it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts