Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I need some advice on how to get around a problem with the air conditioner compressor on my daughters i10 1.2 2009 ?
Our daughter it turns out, has not maintained her servicing record :confused: and has now suffered an air con compressor failure. Option is to do without the air con or get it fixed. She says she never used it so could easily do without the feature.
Looking on the Hyundai service site it appears that there are i10’s and 1.2 engines made with and without air con. The without aircon version appears to use a shorter belt with it taking a different path around the water pump. See diagrams below.

No air conl.gif air con.gif

She has contacted the local Hyundai parts dept and as expected they just say you cannot bypass the aircon compressor and have no idea about the shorter belt run.
Can anyone perhaps give me an indication if the shorter belt is available in the UK and if so what size, spec, part number etc?

Thank you.

Steve

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
Unfortunately you can not do this mod. on the i10.........look carefully at the two pictures and you will see that on the engine without air con. the water pump is fitted in a different position than the engine with air con. so it is not just a question of fitting a shorter belt. If you tried to bypass the compressor the belt would not run freely between the pulleys

·
Registered
245 Posts
Unfortunately you can not do this mod. on the i10.........look carefully at the two pictures and you will see that on the engine without air con. the water pump is fitted in a different position than the engine with air con. so it is not just a question of fitting a shorter belt. If you tried to bypass the compressor the belt would not run freely between the pulleys

The water pump is in the same position, its the way the belt is routed in order to turn the pump in the correct direction. A guy over on honest john used the short belt to bypass the air/con comp. I did have the part number of the non aircon i10 engine belt, but my Hyundai service disc is playing up.

Just to add - if the comp is ok and the electric clutch isn't buggered, then leave it. Just don't switch the aircon on and it should be ok. If the comp is physically buggered then you remove it and fit the shorter belt. Its something I considered when my aircon went **** up last year, but I sourced a cheap comp instead.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The water pump is in the same position, its the way the belt is routed in order to turn the pump in the correct direction. A guy over on honest john used the short belt to bypass the air/con comp. I did have the part number of the non aircon i10 engine belt, but my Hyundai service disc is playing up.

Just to add - if the comp is ok and the electric clutch isn't buggered, then leave it. Just don't switch the aircon on and it should be ok. If the comp is physically buggered then you remove it and fit the shorter belt. Its something I considered when my aircon went **** up last year, but I sourced a cheap comp instead.

Thank you both for your replies.

I too would have thought they would not have had two different engine builds and would have just either had the air con unit bolted on to the engine or not.
She is not using the aircon at all so assume either the fault lies within the electric clutch or the bearings that support the air con pulley or related part because she is not turning it on yet it makes the noise.
Cheap 2nd hand unit is a good idea if I cannot easily track down a belt because I can have a close look at the old unit and see exactly what is wrong.

Its a shame you do not have the belt spec or part number because the i10 is a pain because it does not have a belt tension adjuster and has to be prised on and off so belt has to be spot on the right length. :(

·
Registered
855 Posts
There are quite a few i10s in the scrapyards now Steve. The compressors seem to be around £100 on ebay so perhaps that would be a better solution anyway, keeping the car to its original specs/resale value. And it's always useful to have the aircon for demisting even if your daughter doesn't use it to cool the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I agree with shedloads. Its worth having done for the resale value. The longer you leave it, the more likely condensation will get inside the system and the more expensive it will be to have repaired in the future.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shedloads and Biscuit thanks for the advice, but short term I am going for a shorter belt fitment if possible just to get her back on the road. I have not checked to see if there is still any gas still in the system and of course I am somewhat annoyed with her for not getting it checked earlier and serviced on time.

Since asking for help I have also looked on ebay and seen compressors for £60 upwards so that is always an option but that option will be based upon the pressure still in the system. If the condensor is 'holed' for example and has vented the gas then the repair cost is going up and to her is not worth it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you tried asking the dealer if this would be covered under the 5 year warranty? The aircon compressor is not a part that would be touched during the servicing of the car so really they should replace it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
... that option will be based upon the pressure still in the system. If the condensor is 'holed' for example and has vented the gas then the repair cost is going up and to her is not worth it.
To replace the compressor the system will have to be re-gassed regardless, so that's worth taking into account. I doubt you will see change from £150 if you did the work yourself and had it regassed by an independent who charged around £60.

If Hyundai carried out the work, you could double that easily.

I would guess that if two identical i10s were on the used market, one with working aircon and one without, you could be looking at anywhere from £200-500 difference in price.
If I had not come across a cheap comp and carried out the repair before the damp had knackered the system, I would have left it and took the hit come resale time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying but only got around to dealing with it today and in the short term at least, I have fitted a shorter belt to give her piece of mind and me my garage back. :cheer:

To confirm:- the belt is a stretch type due to the fact there is no tension adjuster on the alternator and in order to bypass the aircon compressor pulley we bought:

a) a Laser Tools 2 piece stretch belt tool (part No 4999) for £14.39 to save messing about and pinching fingers or breaking something while trying to get the new belt on.

b) a Gates 5PK898SF belt to replace the original 5PK1236SF belt £11.26

Time took less than 20 mins to do. :) Jack up, fit axle stand, remove o/s wheel, remove under engine / inner wing plastic panel (4 screws secure) then pull off old belt, measure expected belt run just to confirm the new belt was more or less the right length then fit using tool and reassemble remaining parts. :thumbsup:

Steve

·
Registered
855 Posts
Thanks for the update Steve. Nice one, that's not too expensive at all and now buys you time to look around for a replacement compressor if you want.

You obviously know how to do the job but I wasn't sure and a search took me to this video, that's a useful tool.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you for the video link, the tool looks exactly like the Laser tool I used although I expect the Gates unit and its nice little box will cost more than the sum we paid. As you say she now has time to either change the compressor or leave it as it is.

I would not have liked to have attempted getting the new shorter belt on without the tool because if I did I may well have left bits of finger pinched between pulley and belt ^_^

1 - 12 of 12 Posts