Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sonata. A while back the driver side turn signal quit, I changed the bulb, it worked I moved on. A week and a half later the it went out again. When I looked at it I noticed it wasn’t blown so I tapped on the headlight cover and it came on. A week later it went out again and the passenger went out also and won’t come back on. I put a new bulb in the passenger and it still doesn’t work so it has to be a short. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
It may not be a short. If the turn signal is acting like the brake light socket, the metal pins could be flattening out and not making contact. Disconnect the battery. See if there is any buildup/blackening on the contacts. If so, then clean them off. Try using a small screwdriver or other small diameter object and pry up a little on the metal "flaps" at the base of the socket to ensure they are making solid contact to the base of the bulbs.

You could alternatively use a multimeter and test the sockets to see if you are getting clean/constant current even with the bulb in place and not lit. If not getting current, then start working backwards checking all of the connections from the bulb, to the headlight bucket connection...etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 2011 ... I put a new bulb in the passenger and it still doesn’t work so it has to be a short. Any ideas?

So many people use "short" to describe any electrical problem. A short is a specific issue, and not the one you have. (Unless maybe you have a blown fuse.)
What you are describing is an "open." The socket is not making good contact, or the wire is broken.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts