Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its coming up on the time that I am going to need new shocks and struts for both my 2012 Sonata GLS and 2012 Elantra GLS. I figured this would be an easy purchase until I started researching on the internet in regards to aftermarket replacements. I have only been able to find shocks for my Sonata made by Monroe. It looks like no one makes struts for the Sonata nor shocks OR struts for the Elantra. I'm having a hard time thinking about paying the prices from Hyundai for OEM replacements.

Anyone know of suppliers/manufacturers that make aftermarket replacements? I'm not looking for specialty equipment for lowering and such. I've come across some "universal" replacements but I try to stay away from those from bad past experiences with anything claimed to be "universal".

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just general overall maintenance.
My wife's Elantra has about 50,000 miles on it. The roads she travels to work are more potholes than asphalt and a few railroad crossings. I drove her car last weekend and it felt squishy and bouncy. So I know they are wearing out. My Sonata still feels relatively good at 68,000 miles but I know I will eventually need to replace them in the future so I was doing the research for both cars at the same time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are several Hyundai dealerships around the country that sell replacement parts at substantial discounts. Have you researched any of them such as this one............. Genuine Hyundai Parts - Hyundai Parts Discounters
Yup, I've searched quite a few of those Hyundai online parts sites and they are all in the same general price range...as in way more expensive than they should be. $170 for a single strut...no thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good luck with your search. The best prices I found are at 54661-3Q723 STRUT RIGHT for 2012 Hyundai Sonata | OEM Hyundai Parts Source

Their prices beat eBay and most other listings. Problem seems to be that nobody is making aftermarket struts and shocks yet. You are correct on the asking prices. One thing I found interesting is that the 2011 Sonata uses a different OEM strut and its about $20 less. Less but still not available on the aftermarket parts listings.

I recently ordered new front struts for my XG350 from AdvanceAuto and after discounts, tax, etc. they came to about $85 each. As you know, AdvanceAuto does not have a listing for the late model Sonata. The aftermarket should start providing such items soon as more owners require replacement parts.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some days I miss my bucket of bolts first car that I had in the '90s. 1990 Ford Bronco II. Granted I had to plan my Saturdays around what part I was going to fix on it that week but at least the parts were cheap. lol I replaced all 4 shocks (no struts on it) for about $70.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RockAuto Parts Catalog seems to have a couple options.
Thanks for the tip but I checked there first. RockAuto is my normal go to place for parts. They have the shock for the Sonata (the Monroe part I mentioned in my original post) but nothing else. They have strut hardware but not the strut itself. As for the Elantra...they don't have anything.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/231-md-2011-elantra/149372-kyb-rear-shocks-installed.html

Thirty page thread there basically saying KYB shocks for the Elantra are great - they make them for the Accent as well, not sure about the Sonata. Not sure of anyone making struts for the Elantra yet.
I saw that awhile back, but when I go to KYB.com and search their catalog for 2012 it doesn't come up with anything other than strut boots and mount components. It has ones for a 2011 but from what I'm finding there are differences in part numbers from 2011 to 2012 Elantras.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Shocks/struts aren't covered under the Hyundai warranty?

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Not at 68K miles ...

If you read the other threads - the shocks have been found leaking with less than 25K miles. The dealer will replace them, but that gets you another 25K miles. The KYB's are $130 a pair and lifetime warranty.

More importantly, the OEM shocks are too softly valved for the car, resulting in rear-end hop over bumps, poor tracking at highway speed, some tendency to oversteer, etc. If the shocks fail, they can be replaced, but with the same units and the same issues.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shocks/struts aren't covered under the Hyundai warranty?
No they aren't at my mileage like Tiger said. But even then, they aren't defective...just wearing out. So that wouldn't be covered either.

·
22,793 Posts
@Knightro2 ---> Those were the days, yes? And Chevy parts were a dime a dozen...or seemed to be. EVERY auto parts house in town had what you needed. Yeah, there were some occasional weekends spent on your back in the driveway, but overall, they weren't too bad. The feeling of a great accomplishment was worth every minute you toiled. To say nothing of the fact you "knew it was done correctly." Like the sky diver that packs his own chute. He appreciates the quality of workmanship the task requires.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
@Knightro2 ---> Those were the days, yes? And Chevy parts were a dime a dozen...or seemed to be. EVERY auto parts house in town had what you needed. Yeah, there were some occasional weekends spent on your back in the driveway, but overall, they weren't too bad. The feeling of a great accomplishment was worth every minute you toiled. To say nothing of the fact you "knew it was done correctly." Like the sky diver that packs his own chute. He appreciates the quality of workmanship the task requires.

Yes those indeed were the days. I recall many occasions with my Dad underneath the hood of a trusty 1977 Silverado, gaining invaluable knowledge. Weather or time of day didn't matter---we slung wrenches because we had too. Besides knowing it was done right, you knew you saved a ton of money (that you were gonna need later for the next fix).

Mind you, I'm only 30 but I sure miss those times. Lil' Dogg, if he/she ever shows up, probably won't be helping wrench on the Red Sled.

Unfortunately, those days are dead/dying due to computers, the internet, and a general dis-interest of people to know about what they are driving.

However, I intend to get just as dirty working on the Red Sled as I did on that truck (it was called the Grey Ghost). However, I resolve these three things

1 I will not be using body filler to patch rust holes (mainly b/c I suck at shaping it!)

2 No engine/transmission swaps (we kept a spare 350 v8 and Turbo Hydramatic in the garage---I have neither the room or the desire)

3 Any frame damage results in me getting a new (insert color here) Sled. Truck frame was bent once and it never drove right afterwards.

Ok nostalgia over.

·
Registered
274 Posts
No they aren't at my mileage like Tiger said. But even then, they aren't defective...just wearing out. So that wouldn't be covered either.
You probably know this, and I think it was touched on above, but just in case, at the risk of stating the obvious, especially since this seems to be an smart preventive move on your part: _good_ shocks and struts (like tires) can really make a difference in handling and ride (after all, there are only those 4 tiny patches of rolling, wriggling rubber keeping "the whole show on the road").

Since (most?) many posters here seem to feel that the stock tires, umm, leave something to be desired, what about the shocks/struts? Perhaps consider waiting, if possible, and saving a bit more, if needed, until high quality aftermarket shocks and struts become available. They often can bring a 'whole-lotta' improvement, for usually less than a couple of hundred dollars difference. They definitely have for other vehicles, here. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts