Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have taken my car to two different auto shops and they have both told me that I need the shocks and struts replaced on my car, as I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent GLS, well I think it is a GLS but on the paperwork they have it as a SE but not sure what the difference is. I thought the SE was the hatchback and the GLS was the sedan like I have. I am curious to know if anyone else on here has had there shocks and struts replaced on there car and if they bought them online and had them installed or went to like a auto shop and had it done? I mean since I have never had anything replaced on this car since I have had it and it is used, other then new tires which I now need new, I think I should just get all the work done like brakes, rotors and shocks and struts front and back just to be safe. I mean I have almost 90,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, the SE is the hatch-back. After 90k miles, I recently replaced my struts and shocks with KYB versions. I did this myself, which required a spring compression tool. The new struts and shocks noticably stiffened the ride. I prefer to replace struts and shocks every 50-100k miles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I hear extra creaky noises from both front and back at 82,000 miles. I've also seen some weep of hydraulic fluid from the rear shocks. I know it's a standard replacement item, like front sway bar links/bushings, and the time is upon me. I will probably do it myself when I get a chance. Could put it off a while yet. Saw a car go by me yesterday with its rear end bounding up and down like a boat on an angry sea. I'm not going to let it go that long, not nearly that long. Just a little while longer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks for the replies, I am not sure how to tell if mine need replacing or not, I guess I could let it go till I get 1000 miles on it and then do it. How are the KYB shocks and struts holding up? I also saw those SenSen quick shocks and struts which are more expensive so not sure I will do this. Right now I need new brakes on my car but for as much money as Firestone wants to just replace the brakes with ceramic and machine the rotors I could buy new rotors and ceramic pads and have my local mechanic put it on for cheaper. Also eventually I need to get new tires, but last time I took my car in to get a synthetic oil change they would not rotate my tires as they told me there was cupping so they cant do it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am not sure how to tell if mine need replacing or not
It kinda depends on the roads you travel. I'm in the CO mountains daily, where stiffer struts help in cornering. If I was driving on flat/straight roads I doubt I would have changed mine when I did.

How are the KYB shocks and struts holding up?
So far they are working well. I notice that they are slightly stiffer than the ones I took off, which works well for the roads I travel.

...but last time I took my car in to get a synthetic oil change they would not rotate my tires as they told me there was cupping so they cant do it.
That doesn't sound right, but I don't know what your tires look like either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have done a lot of travelling lately with my car in the past year. I drove from Fort Walton Beach Florida to Saint Cloud Minnesota in a day and stayed there for 5 months with my dad, then drove from Minnesota to Smyrna Georgia in 2 days, and these tires I have on the car I bought back in Florida in June of 2015, so I am sure they are shot especially with all the interstate driving. I do see quite a few Hyundai Accents here in the Austell Georgia area. I am pretty sure my tires are scalloped or cupped, as I can hear a whirring noise when I drive my car, coming from the rear. I was just going to go to Firestone and have them put new shocks and struts on the car and new tires and I was going to buy some new slotted and cross-drilled rotor for my car and ceramic brake pads and have a local mechanic put them on for me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes, the SE is the hatch-back. After 90k miles, I recently replaced my struts and shocks with KYB versions. I did this myself, which required a spring compression tool. The new struts and shocks noticably stiffened the ride. I prefer to replace struts and shocks every 50-100k miles.
Where did you pick up KYB struts? I can find the rear KYB's and will be replacing my stock ones with it as the rear shocks on these are just trash from the factory.

From a handling perspective, did the KYB's really tight up the feel of it? I've got half decent street tires already and am throwing on some power stop z23 front pads on it this week but the suspension has always been sloppy on this car. The only saving grace is how light it is.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Where did you pick up KYB struts?
RockAuto -
Front: KYB338106 and KYB338107, bellows (qty 2) KYBSB132, mounts (probably not needed, qty 2) KYBSM5818
Rear: (qty 2) KYB554385

From a handling perspective, did the KYB's really tight up the feel of it?
Yes. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable. None of the original struts or shocks were completely dead when they were removed (90K+ miles).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone have Monroe shocks in there car? If so are they any good compared to the KYB or say Gabriel?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Ok, thanks for the replies, I am not sure how to tell if mine need replacing or not.
If they leak hydraulic fluid then they need to be replaced
If you bounce the car up and down and the car continues to bounce more than once then you need to replace them

As for brakes, if you see any grooves in the rotor then they need replacing
If the rotors have too much rust build up on them (surface that meets the pads) then they need to be replced
If the pads are worn half way or less when you inspect them then they will need replacing

If you don't live in the rust belt then most of the work is straight forward
And most beginners can do it themselves and save a lot of money in labor cost
However, if you have never done mechanical work and don't have the skills
Then better to just pay and have it done right.

Good luck

Note: with performance parts, they tend to perform better and also wear out earlier

·
Registered
99 Posts
RockAuto -
Front: KYB338106 and KYB338107, bellows (qty 2) KYBSB132, mounts (probably not needed, qty 2) KYBSM5818
Rear: (qty 2) KYB554385

Yes. Not a huge improvement, but noticeable. None of the original struts or shocks were completely dead when they were removed (90K+ miles).

Thanks. Rock auto is near 50% less than Autozone for these Kyb struts.

Threw on the Powerstop Z23 Carbon Ceramics up front and they seem to be a step up over OEM, but we'll see after some hard braking over and over to check fade. Either way, for $30 on sale (normally $60) for pads and hardware I couldn't say no.

KYB suspension all around is next for me. Even if each upgrade I do adds up to only a few percent better in each area, if it's being replaced why not upgrade?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts