Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 accent. For the last couple of days every time I hit a bump in the road I get a not so nice clunking sound from the back passenger side wheel well. And when I make a right hand turn I hear a scraping sound coming from the same area. Could someone please tell me if this sounds like a problem with the shock or strut, or could it be something more serious. If the shock was busted why do I hear a scraping sound when I make a right hand turn?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nobody can tell you for 100% sure if it is a strut or not over the internet. you have to get under the car and do an inspection.

that being said, here's a quick trashy test. my favourite! push down sharp and hard on the back end of your car. you're trying to make the car jump a little. you should hear the strut. also if you get multiple bounces, yeah its a strut.

other considerations:
look for oil coming out of the strut where the inner shaft is. inside the spring. its a black muddy kind of oil in the struts, might be hard to see with all the salt and crap on the road right now.

strut mount is another possibility...just jack up the end of the car and see if the strut comes loose of its upper mount.

scraping can sometimes be as simple as wear and buildup in the drum brakes. wheel off, turn by hand. see if it scrapes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts