Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before buying my 2011 3.5L Santa Fe, all of my previous cars had manual transmissions. A big selling point for me was the Shiftronic 6-speed automatic transmission that allows full manual control of the transmission. Although several owners reported issues with this transmission during the 2010 model year, my transmission has performed flawlessly so far. Most normal automatics irritate me because of gear hunting on hilly roads and the inability to use the transmission for braking when going down hills. I have been very happy with the Shiftronic transmission, and I tend to use the manual-shift feature all the time. I don't shift manually through each gear when accelerating from a stop (I leave it in normal auto mode). But after reaching a constant speed, I will lock it in an appropriate gear. For example, I lock it in 5th gear when traveling 45 mph so it doesn't shift to 6th going down every little hill and then back to 5th every time I tap the gas pedal going back up a hill.

So my survey question is: How often do owners use the manual-shift mode of the Shiftronic transmission?

A. Never
B. Sometimes
C. Frequently
D. Always

·
Registered
197 Posts
If a person enjoys transmission control by downshifting, why not drive a manual 6 speed. When I lived in snow country I always owned manual transmissions now in Florida no snow or hills to worry about.

·
Registered
168 Posts
All my previous vehicles habe been manuals - this is my first auto. I use the Shiftronic feature mostly when towing or going down hills to provide some engine braking. So my answer would be B.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
If a person enjoys transmission control by downshifting, why not drive a manual 6 speed. When I lived in snow country I always owned manual transmissions now in Florida no snow or hills to worry about.
Because you have no options with a manual - and a Shiftronic in manual mode has no clutch pedal to slow things down !

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
All my previous vehicles habe been manuals - this is my first auto. I use the Shiftronic feature mostly when towing or going down hills to provide some engine braking. So my answer would be B.
I don't use manual for towing - in automatic mode it chooses the right gear itself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't use manual for towing - in automatic mode it chooses the right gear itself.
I meant when slowing down - I will downshift it to help slow down.

The reason I don't own a manual Santa Fe is because the wife and kids don't drive stick. This car is for everyone when needed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I used to lock it in 6th gear when I was using cruise control on the highway as I found it downshifted to 5th at the slightest little incline when it was not necessary, so I would just lock it in 6th (aiming for better fuel economy). But the problem with that is if I do come to a steep hill where 6th is actually too high the speeds drops down before I realize it and get a chance to get it into 5th. I also went to pass a car once and forgot I had it locked into 6th for a split second and when I floored it to get around a car on a 2-lane road there was no power. It didn't take me long to realize my error, but when passing on a 2-lane road there no room for error. So I don't lock it into 6th on the highway anymore.

Now I only use it for downhill engine braking, and then only if on a long downhill when I want to make sure the brakes stay cool so I can easily stop at the bottom.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I have the 5 speed version, but I'll vote anyway. Since I live in Colorado, I probably use it a good bit more than most .. lots of downhill opportunities for engine braking, and in the winter, it's nice to lock things into a specific gear so I don't lose traction uphill in snow with an unplanned downshift.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I meant when slowing down - I will downshift it to help slow down.

The reason I don't own a manual Santa Fe is because the wife and kids don't drive stick. This car is for everyone when needed.
With a 7'6" wide and 8'9" high caravan (travel trailer) on tow it never needs any help slowing down, just lift off the throttle :mad:

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 3.5 wasn't offered with a manual transmission.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I only use it in the winter time when I need to hold a gear going up or down a steep grade in poor weather conditions (snow/ice). Otherwise, it's worthless.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Would be nice, but my '08 Limited wasn't offered with a stick, either.

How about this -- why not OFFER a manual 6 speed? Better question.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've often wondered why it's so hard to find manual trans vehicles, I looked for 7 months to find an 2012 Accent se in a manual, I found one 150 miles south of me. My conclusion is that manufactures and dealers make more money from auto transmissions / trans-axels cars and sell those as much as possible. I know almost every sales person I told that I wanted a 6 speed manual, quickly shot back "oh, you don't want a manual". To which I said goodbye, I just love being told what I want. At least the dealer I purchased from, respected my wishes and found me a se manual with 09 miles on the odo, as I didn't want some goober racking up the first few hundred miles driving it from somewhere else.
By the way the manual trans in my Accent is sweet, I still love driving it after almost 2 years, smooth as silk and perfect gear ratios and spacing.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Sometimes the automobile industry doesn't react very quickly to trends in customer preferences - as a youngster, nearly 50 years ago, the vast majority of cars sold in Europe were manuals with automatics rarely an option, and a substantial option cost if they were - the exact opposite was true in North America where automatics dominated and manuals a costly option, if available.

Customer demand has gradually changed on both sides of the Atlantic but there's still the wierd anomaly that automatics still have a substantial option cost in Europe while manuals have the extra cost in North America - this despite worldwide manufacturing so similar cost base.

IMO, customers know what they want, engineers know how to build it - so we just need to kick the sales and marketing people out of the process!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sometimes the automobile industry doesn't react very quickly to trends in customer preferences - as a youngster, nearly 50 years ago, the vast majority of cars sold in Europe were manuals with automatics rarely an option, and a substantial option cost if they were - the exact opposite was true in North America where automatics dominated and manuals a costly option, if available.

Customer demand has gradually changed on both sides of the Atlantic but there's still the wierd anomaly that automatics still have a substantial option cost in Europe while manuals have the extra cost in North America - this despite worldwide manufacturing so similar cost base.

IMO, customers know what they want, engineers know how to build it - so we just need to kick the sales and marketing people out of the process!
Actually, the Accent in manual flavor was about $1000.00 US less than it's automatic counterpart. That's not why I bought a manual version though, I just like rowing gears. cheers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Would be nice, but my '08 Limited wasn't offered with a stick, either.

I've often wondered why it's so hard to find manual trans vehicles, I looked for 7 months to find an 2012 Accent se in a manual, I found one 150 miles south of me. My conclusion is that manufactures and dealers make more money from auto transmissions / trans-axels cars and sell those as much as possible.
The take rate on vehicles with manual transmissions is something like 5-10% in the US. Probably even lower on family SUVs like the Santa Fe. With such a low take rate it is usually a cost decision to not develop and qualify a second transmission for a given model within a given market. You are right, though, selling automatics does increase the average transaction price which is another reason the manufacturers like them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use it in manual mode all the time. I commute about 40-45 min to work everyday, usually running late so I drive it a little fast. I like the response better when I'm controlling it rather that leaving it up to the trans which can sometimes downshift too much.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The take rate on vehicles with manual transmissions is something like 5-10% in the US. Probably even lower on family SUVs like the Santa Fe. With such a low take rate it is usually a cost decision to not develop and qualify a second transmission for a given model within a given market..
The transmission has already been developed -- it just wasn't sold in the N.A. market. This also turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you don't offer but a scant few manuals, then nobody buys very many of them; and when nobody buys them, there's no need to offer them.

As I'm sure you're aware, buying the Hyundai you actually want is a total crap shoot based upon distribution geography. They might or might not have what you want in a given region, and unlike others, they refuse to take a 'factory order' no matter how long you're willing to wait. So those that DID want manuals often had a hard time finding the few that were available.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts