Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have been lurking around here since I bought my '01 Santa Fe a few months ago. This is the first Hyundai I've owned. I'm more of a Nissan guy, but my wife really wanted this Hyundai. We have a baby on the way, and it's more baby friendly than our Toyota T100, or my Datsun 280z. We are due in a month, so I need to get this issue fixed asap.

It's a 2.4, front wheel drive, and has an automatic transmission. I noticed a shifting, and hesitation problem shortly after I bought it. Didn't notice any issues when I test drove it, or I would have never bought it. The PO had all the servicing done at the dealership, and assured me the only thing it needed was an O2 sensor. Otherwise, it's a well taken care of car with only 106k. I took it to Autozone and had the codes ran. It gave me the code about lean in bank 1. I can't remember the exact code, but it's the one it spits out when you need to replace the o2 senser, clean MAF, and check fuel pressure. So I did everything but check the fuel pressure so far. O2 sensor has been replaced, MAF cleaned, and the throttle body was cleaned. My CEL disappeared, but I noticed the hesitation and shifting problem wasn't completely gone. It did run better, but every once in a while would shift weird and be sluggish at take off. Took it to the dealer and had the transmission flushed. Drove it around for about 30 minutes and got excited because it was running a lot better. But then it started happening again. We took it on a short weekend trip, and it started to get worse. The CEL came on, and remained lit this time.

Basically, around the town driving is off and on. At low speeds it shifts perfect, but can be sluggish at take off, but not every time. If I drive a bit more aggressively around town, I get weird shifting around 3rd gear. Low power at take off, and hesitation between 2nd-3rd. Bucking occasionally when trying to shift. On the highway it is fine, and downshifts fine. I'm hoping it's a sensor or something, and not the transmission itself. I will be taking it to Autozone again to see what code pops up this time. Figured I'd throw this out there for you guys to give your input on though. If I can't figure this out, then I'll have to take it to the dealer again, but my money is getting very tight. It's just very frustrating, and I'm beginning to regret buying this car.

Thanks, and any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh, and I forgot to mention it starts up and idles perfectly every time. Never stalls out. And when it is doing it's weird shifting, the rpm's don't rev up. It just bogs before it shifts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I went to Autozone and the only code that came up is the same one that I was getting before. P0171. So I guess my next question is, would a lean condition cause the shifting issues I'm having?

·
Registered
13 Posts
P0171 code, I had come up on another one of my cars and it was basically and air leak, and for that car it happened to be on the exhaust side, but with these plastic manifolds you never know. The weird thing about it is that the idle is good because normally with any air leak you do get a slight surge out of the engine at minimum. When you got the trans flushed just hope that they used the recommended fluids for hyndai trans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts