Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think revving up the engine in neutral then shifting into drive from a stop will damage the transmission? Wouldn't it be similar to dropping the clutch in a manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Seeing that you asked the question means that you already have an idea of the answer
It will eventually do damage after doing that procedure for a while
Just like dropping the clutch in a manual transmission will cause a little damage
And over time, it will show in the form of slippage ... damage

Well, that is my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious why you are asking. Not sure why anyone would do this.

I have.... Plans.....
It might include a cocky friend with a new base model Elantra who "installed" a turbo and I'm trying to prove him wrong, and also have a little fun

·
Registered
105 Posts
That behavior is not advisable. When I was a kid, a neighbor did this to his mom's Ford wagon. He ended up breaking a u-joint.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Depending on how high you rev the engine, you can definitely damage things. But, you can get a nice strip of rubber on the road. :)

You'll never see this done at a drag strip. For high RPM takeoffs with automatic transmissions, they use what's known as a transbrake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transbrake

For the best launch with a stock auto, just load the torque converter by holding your foot on the brake and then apply the gas until the point where the vehicle wants to move forward. When it's time to go, let your foot off the brake and stomp the gas.

Lots of luck :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
lol. a neutral drop will ruin the auto trans... you're better off doing a brake stand. rev up the engine with the brake pedal engaged, then release the brakes.

and yes, dumping the clutch in manual trans cars is not a good idea either. You will burn up the clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts