Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my Sonata forever and still nursing her along and absolutely love the car. Recently my shifter has started to slip out of Drive and I've only been able to start the car when shifted to neutral. I'm suspicious this may be an issue with the gear selector mechanism but would love to hear others' experiences. I do not believe it is related to engaging the brake since shifting freely can occur. It feels as though the gear selector position is no longer synced with the transmission. I can drive the car but need to hold pressure back on the gear selector to keep it in the drive. Typically the dash does not indicate the D position but I am in drive and moving. Similarly with P when Parked and the parking lock has engaged.

Most recently I tried moving to the "manual" shift mode, right of the Drive mode and it became locked in that range. After trying the shift release and just shaking the gear shifter around it eventually allowed me to shift back to the normal range.

I appreciate your time and hope everyone is staying safe.

Best,
Stu

·
Registered
65 Posts
What year, how many miles ?
It could be a worn bushing or something in the shifter assembly,
or the range/mode selector switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car does have over 230k, I was hopeful it was something easily fixable but I'm suspecting it's age/miles related.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Pull the shifter and boot off, you probably have a tone of crud in there. clean it up and lube it up and check the parking lock, the tabs might not be touching correctly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here's a video how to get to it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts