Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,
This is my first post on the forum and I have seen no one has yet to my knowledge posted information on changing the shifter bushings on the 6-speed MD there for I have taken pictures and wrote down step by step on how to disassemble all the necessary parts and how to install the new bushings. No serious mechanical experience necessary just a simple tool set and common sense will take you through the process.
Also, Just as a word of advice DO NOT purchase the bushings from Torque Solutions as they do not fit and had me take apart my car three times to take measurements for them and to just give me a refund after three weeks of waiting for them to tell me they are still looking into the matter. TWM is the way to go I just re-ordered them a few days ago and cannot wait for the install but for now here is the how-to.
To begin with you will only need a few everyday tools at your disposal during the process:
· 1x Philips Screwdriver
· 1x 3/8” Ratchet
· 1x 10mm Socket
· 1x 12mm Socket
· Multiple Extensions preferable one long and one short for the ratchet
· Needle Nose Pliers

Now to begin the Process:

Step One:
Open the hood and remove the battery connectors
· Begin with the removing the ground connector on the right hand side of the batter by loosening the 10mm nut and disconnecting the sensor on the cable.
·
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Be sure to put the connector to the side so as to not touch the battery terminal to prevent creating a short and blowing any fuses.
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Next work on the positive connector
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]To do so you will need to open the cover with the plus symbol on it shown below
[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Once open you will need to loosen the 10mm nut on the positive connector.
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]The 10mm nut is being pointed out by my fingers in the next image be sure to remove the [COLOR=red]ENTIRE[/COLOR] box as it is one unit with the positive connector and push it aside. (Ignore the black wire that is the power wire for my subwoofer)
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT][IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Once removed it should look like this.

Step Two:
Remove the air box cover.
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Remove the clips for the air box. (They are pointed out in the next picture with blue arrows.)
[IMG]

[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Then loosen the screw on the intake tube to be able to remove the intake box cover

[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Now lift out the cover and the filter and you should be left with this.
[IMG]

Step Three:
Remove the battery
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]There is one 12mm nut that holds the bracket to hold the battery in place it is between the battery box and the battery once loosened simply lift the batter up and put it out of the car ([COLOR=red]MAKE SURE TO NEVER PUT A BATTERY ON CONCRETE IT WILL LOSE ITS CHARGE AND CAN DAMADGE A BATTERY AFTER EXTENEDED TIME)[/COLOR]
[IMG]
[IMG]
Step Four:
Remove the bottom section of the air box
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]There are three 10mm screws that hold this in place around the box all of which I will have pictures for bellow. Keep in mind some of these are really deep in there hence the need for extensions once all loosened simple pull the box out and set aside
[IMG]

[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]You will be left with this. ( you will still have screws in the battery tray sorry for any confusion)
[IMG]

Step Five:
Remove the battery tray
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]You will need to remove the mounting screws for the ECU(computer/ECM/brain as some call it) there are three and they are all 10mm and fairly easy to access. You are not removing the ECU just pushing it aside to reach a hidden screw for the battery tray.
[IMG]

[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Now we will be removing the single 10mm screw that is holding the power cables that is attached to the battery tray
[IMG]

[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Now we will begin the process of removing the five 12mm bolts that are left holding in the battery tray
o One of them is behind the bottom left ECU screw so moving the ECU is now a necessity. (Not Pictured, Sorry)
o Also one of them is holding the bracket for the battery in place which cover two more bolts remember to keep track of the bracket.
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] [IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]
[IMG]
[IMG]
[IMG]

[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Now simple lift the tray out of place and set aside
[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]Now you can see the shifter bushings almost done!

Step Six:
Remove the old bushings and install the new ones.
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Remove the cotter pin on the bug bushing and you will see this[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Now remove the washer on the big bushing
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Next, lift the cable with the bushing off the stud and remove the bushing from the cable[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] this is comparing the two bushing (from Torque solutions and this is the only one that fit. But it did make a difference in shift feel definitely more defined gates.)[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Place the new bushing onto the stud then work the shifter cable onto it. Keep in mind the shifter cable has a slight taper so it will only go on one way you may have to spin the head around to get it on.[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Install the “e” clip[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Install the cotter pin and this bushing is done time for the next one![IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Remove the cotter pin [IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Then slide the cable and bushing off the stud as so. [IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Here are some comparison shots[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Now notice how this cable is closed and the bushing above from the factory had no washer[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] also notice the height difference (this is why the torque solutions kit does not work on the Elantra MD[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT]You will have a horrid gap like this which will not allow the cotter pin on.
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Now once you have the new bushing from TWM or another company siple install the bushing onto the stud and slide on the shifter cable as so[IMG]
[FONT=Symbol]· [/FONT] Lastly install the cotter pin!(not shown but pretty self-explanatory)

Now simply follow steps One through Five in reverse and take her for a test drive! With just one bushing changed this was an AMAZING difference and I recommend this mod to ANYONE who owns a standard MD.

Once I receive my TWM bushing I will also do one of these for the shifter base bushings as I purchased the entire kit from them and it will hopefully help those who want a more “sporty” feel for this car and even if not for the sporty feels the crisper shift will fit anyone’s tastes for sure.
ANY comments or questions welcome this was also my first write up so I hope I did well and am very open to criticism.

Here the pictures already in order following the blanks in the write up.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a set of bushings that I bought with my short shifter I bought from Billet Pro Shop. I have searched for help in finding where they are located, but you are the first to come through. Can you tell me what the dimensions are for correct fit, so I can check mine out to see if I need to buy a new set where you got yours from. Looking forward to doing this to see how much more smoothness I can have shifting. The short shifter was a great improvement. Next I will change the oil out and put in Redline too.

I look forward to the pics. Thank you for this thread.

You can see my bushings at the upper right side of the pic of the shifter kit.
Shifter 2.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a set of bushings that I bought with my short shifter I bought from Billet Pro Shop. I have searched for help in finding where they are located, but you are the first to come through. Can you tell me what the dimensions are for correct fit, so I can check mine out to see if I need to buy a new set where you got yours from. Looking forward to doing this to see how much more smoothness I can have shifting. The short shifter was a great improvement. Next I will change the oil out and put in Redline too.

I look forward to the pics. Thank you for this thread.

You can see my bushings at the upper right side of the pic of the shifter kit.
View attachment 88562
You have the same bushing that are in this write-up. They are for the transmission as for dimensions the only one that gave me a problem should be really close to the following dimensions:
.83" in diameter for the part of the bushing that goes inside the cable
.5" in total height
.95" is the diameter of the lower base lip that touches the transmission and does not enter the cable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great write up with the text in the pictures by the way I like that look I just cant figure out how to do that on a mac... However I hope this helps you as well as many others and don't forget shortly to look for my write up on shifter base bushings!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I got out there today and within 90 minutes and a few regular everyday tools, I was done replacing both bushings.
The test drive went very well. The shifter followed a more defined pathway to the next gear. Giving a smoother shift.
Since I already have the short shifter kit in my car, the change was not as huge as it would be if you changed both the shifter and the bushings. I would imagine that would had been really awesome.
I will also put together a DIY like I usually do when I do a mod.
So far, I have a 3" binder full of documentation of everything I have done to this car. That way when I sell it, the next owner will have an easy to follow manual of the car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My Brass Bushing Installation DIY Part 1

XTHEDICTATOR is getting a +1 rep from me for starting this thread and putting together a great DIY.

Like I said earlier, I always do a DIY with my mods. I kept it as short and to the point as possible so that it is simple to follow by all.

I used 1/4" ratchet with a 4" and 6" extensions, 10mm and 12mm sockets and a standard flat screwdriver.

Bushings 1.jpg

Bushings 2.jpg

Bushings 3.jpg

Bushings 4.jpg

Bushings 5.jpg

Bushings 6.jpg

Bushings 7.jpg

Bushings 8.jpg

Bushings 9.jpg

Bushings 10.jpg

·
22,793 Posts
AAAAccent: Nicely done! Pat yourself on the back, provided you're still young enough to do so... :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for cleaning it up, and I am glad I helped you out and I agree going from stock this makes an enormous difference I can't wait to get my hands on one of those short shifters.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Good team work

Thanks for cleaning it up, and I am glad I helped you out and I agree going from stock this makes an enormous difference I can't wait to get my hands on one of those short shifters.
I noticed yesterday at Billet Pro Shop, they had a set of bushings for the shifter base too. I think you may have mentioned them. I will get them as well (under $25). I wish they had them when I installed the short shifter though.

·
22,793 Posts
I wish they had them when I installed the short shifter though.
Oh, c'mon now, you know it can never be that doing it on purpose. These marketing guys sit around and think up ways to get repeat business without it looking like they're idiots. Putting Part B out to the market before Part A is available just make good business sense. Right? Well, to them it does.

Of course, if this were really true, your Hyundai salesperson would've been chasing after you with a KYB upgrade promotion as you pulled away from the dealership in your new ride.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed yesterday at Billet Pro Shop, they had a set of bushings for the shifter base too. I think you may have mentioned them. I will get them as well (under $25). I wish they had them when I installed the short shifter though.
I have those on the way from TWM I seen the Billet Pro Shop ones once you recommended them had I seen that earlier I would have bought them all from them. Now I have to see if I can order just their shifter because I have all the bushings ordered/changed already.

·
Registered
660 Posts
It is really how the car should have been manufactured. They name it "GT", but I have yet to figure out why. Any other car with a GT logo on it, had performance upgrades.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Solid Shifter Bushings installed

It just so happens that I had the shifter bushings still in the box from when I installed the shifter. I don't know why I spaced out and didn't install them when I installed the short shifter. So today I took 45 minutes and pulled out my center console, replaced the bushings and re-installed the console.

Tools: Trim removal tool set, philips screwdriver, 10mm & 12mm sockets, 4" & 6" extensions, ratchet, 6" standard screwdriver, torque wrench (8.8 ~ 10.1 ft.lb.).

Base bushings 1.jpg

Base bushings 2.jpg

Base bushings 3.jpg

Base bushings 4.jpg

Base bushings 5.jpg

Base bushings 6.jpg

Base bushings 7.jpg

Base bushings 8.jpg

Base bushings 9.jpg

Base bushings 10.jpg

After the install, I went out on a test drive, but couldn't feel much if any change. But since I have installed the short shifter and the Veloster solid bushings at the transfer case, those major changes overshadow this change. I still think it is a good idea to change all three though. Short Shifter, Solid Shifter Base Bushings & Solid Transfer Case Bushings.
It would be no more than 4 hours to do all three and much less with a helper.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Would the veloster short shifter 2012+ short shifter kit fit in my 2014 elantra sport?I'm asking since the veloster is 35% shorter compared to the 34% short shifter for the elantra.

Any opinions ? I'll also be purchasing the shifter bushing and base bushing prior to which kit I'm going to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Would the veloster short shifter 2012+ short shifter kit fit in my 2014 elantra sport?I'm asking since the veloster is 35% shorter compared to the 34% short shifter for the elantra.

Any opinions ? I'll also be purchasing the shifter bushing and base bushing prior to which kit I'm going to buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old discussion thread, not sure if you will get a reply. Let us know if you have any luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts