Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Did anyone have any issues with getting their dealer to install this update linked to the TSB? My dealer is giving me all kinds of trouble and won't install the update unless they can drive and replicate the issue themselves. So far they aren't able to replicate it.
Find another dealer... I have GDS plug in for something, most of time car leaves all updated..

Majority of the engine test I do for 162 leave with latest software installed for 0420 / 0170 DTC logic improvement.. courtesy on my part, and I am screwing another tech out of customer pay time for MIL with forementioned codes..

Veloster Turbo been showing up with Ox code,, Hyundai says replace Ox and update PCM,, SCREW that, customer waiting, hot cat, Hyundai dont pay crap, so I beat them to punch,,,,,, I update the PCM on the sly,, take it out and wind it up to blow out the exhaust, and dont have to worry about car show up with MIL to do Ox (same part used) and program.. saving myself getting stuck with it down the road

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got back from the dealer and they WOULD NOT apply the update listed in this TSB. They said something along the lines that my VIN didn't match with this any updates listed in the TSB. I don't see how that is true. Is this specific to certain 2017 SFS models? I have the 2.0T engine with FWD and I have the exact issue reported in this thread. Needless to say I will never be going back to this same dealer again. They kept my vehicle for nearly 4 days with no updates and couldn't even apply the update.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You cannot possibly have the issue since it only affects AWD models due to rear wheel slip.
I've been able to replicate the same issue as others have reported on here. I don't believe it is related just to AWD models. Also others have reported it has helped smooth shifts from 1-2 along with not locking up the torque converter at very low speeds in 2nd gear (such as going up an incline in a parking garage.)

The TSB does not mention anything specific about AWD models only being affected.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Will also report snow performance as soon as we get snow. Hoping that its improved. Main issue was low speed wheel slip when turning at an intersection, no power ...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been able to replicate the same issue as others have reported on here. I don't believe it is related just to AWD models. Also others have reported it has helped smooth shifts from 1-2 along with not locking up the torque converter at very low speeds in 2nd gear (such as going up an incline in a parking garage.)

The TSB does not mention anything specific about AWD models only being affected.
That's probably within the applicable VIN ranges. It lists applicable ROM versions and perhaps it's buried in that. The update is very much related to AWD because it's all about sensitivity of traction loss detection at the rear wheels. So while I can understand why you'd want to benefit from the transmission improvements, that wasn't the reason for the updates.

The TSB documents are attached to this thread so you can see the VIN ranges listed for yourself and check whether yours is in it. If it's not, then it doesn't apply to your vehicle.

While the update does improve transmission shift points, that doesn't mean it is compatible with your FWD vehicle, which has completely different logic and would likely have a different ROM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The TSB documents are attached to this thread so you can see the VIN ranges listed for yourself and check whether yours is in it. If it's not, then it doesn't apply to your vehicle.

While the update does improve transmission shift points, that doesn't mean it is compatible with your FWD vehicle, which has completely different logic and would likely have a different ROM.
I looked on the TSB and could not locate the VIN ranges. Do you have them?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You are right. I was wrong. Sorry, I mixed it up with something else. On the Canadian TSB doc, there is a list of ROM versions that it is applicable to, but that's not helpful to you anyway since the only way to know that would be for them to plug it in and see.

There is indeed no VIN range listed, however.

So, I'd say they are just screwing you around. Another dealer an option?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had TSB 17-BR-002 applied by my dealer yesterday, the 27th. Noticed improved shifting and went to the place where the TCS kicks in and it didn't happen (only tried it once). The place where it happens is the apron from the cul-de-sac to the parking lot at where I work so I will have plenty of other opportunities to test it out. When I called the dealer to make the appointment, I wasn't hesitant at all to let them know all the information I was able to glean from the forum on the exact problem. I gave them the TSB number and provided them the .pdf that was posted by ddme on 7/24/17 as well. And I explained to the service writer that I know of the acceleration cut out issue if the foot is on the brake and I was 100% sure that was not a contributing factor. He told me he'd have to get in touch with the service manager on Monday and he'd call me back. Got the call on Monday and he said, no problem, bring it in we'll get the update installed.

BTW, before I went to the appointment, I did leave work and was able to make the TCS light up with the acceleration hesitation issue. I told this to the service writer when I arrived for my appointment, gave him the time it occurred and didn't shut off the vehicle so they could pull the code. After they did the update and told me I was ready to go, he remarked that they found no code generated from the incident. Just wanted to put that out there in case anyone else gets told "no code... no problem exists". Apparently this problem doesn't always generate a code. Hope that helps someone in case it happens to them.

I'm concerned that Hyundai has not made this an official announcement-worthy "service notification". Given the severity of the problem, which in my opinion, far outweighs the likelihood of occurrence, that alone should merit a public notification. I work with FMEA a little at work. The hesitation issue when pulling out into traffic is clearly a situation you don't want to experience if you need to get yourself moving to keep up (get to speed) with traffic. There are enough people I see that can't get themselves moving in traffic when they have adequate space and time to pull out and get going. They seem to need a mile of clearance before they attempt to roll out into the intersection or make their turn.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Seems like Hyundai updated the TSB on 1 Nov. Anybody tried the update in recent two months? What's the new TSB #? Any problem or anything to share?

July 12, 2017 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 5NP-U2H9N-08
Components: TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM
NHTSA ID Number: 10115233
Manufacturer Communication Number: 5NP-U2H9N-08
Summary
This bulletin describes the procedure to update the Traction Control System (TCS) logic on some 2017-2018MY Santa Fe Sport (AN) 2.0T and Santa Fe (NC) 3.3L vehicles. This update helps reduce unnecessary TCS engagement during low speed / dry road acceleration.

November 1, 2017 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 5NP-A2D2E-12
Components: POWER TRAIN
NHTSA ID Number: 10125159
Manufacturer Communication Number: 5NP-A2D2E-12
Summary
This bulletin describes the procedure to update the Traction Control System (TCS) logic on some 2017-2018MY Santa Fe Sport (AN) 2.0T and Santa Fe (NC) 3.3L vehicles. This update helps reduce unnecessary TCS engagement during low speed / dry road acceleration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone in Canada had this issue fixed? Are they the same TSB codes? I am having the same problem with my 2017. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very late to this party but got the update today to my 2017 SFS 2.0T AWD. So glad to get this. I had a few close calls when I expected to be able to punch it into traffic and ended up rolling into said traffic. I have no idea why there's no recall on this. Dealer had no idea when I gave him symptoms, had to search for the TSB on my request. If I didn't find this forum I'd still be dealing with this dangerous situation.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Has anyone in Canada had this issue fixed? Are they the same TSB codes? I am having the same problem with my 2017. Thanks.
yup, fixed it for me on my 2017.

I still have the "unintended acceleration" issue, where the stupid car will not let you accelerate after you brake.... but it's meant to be like that so you can't confuse pedals, omg... please let me sign a disclaimer and LET ME ACCELERATE I know which pedal does what, omg.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yup, fixed it for me on my 2017.

I still have the "unintended acceleration" issue, where the stupid car will not let you accelerate after you brake.... but it's meant to be like that so you can't confuse pedals, omg... please let me sign a disclaimer and LET ME ACCELERATE I know which pedal does what, omg.
I think I know what you mean. I also had the 'fix' done. It happened to me another day, after I brake to make a right > 90 degree turn, and was about to accelerate to merge to the left lane, the car was just not going anywhere like the processor just needs to take care of something else more important. I gave it more throttle and eventually after a second the car goes again, so I don't know if it's the drive by wire system or ECU.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts