Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
QUOTE (mrblank @ Mar 18 2010, 06:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=305395
how heavy is this nob ???[/url]
probably lighter than a stock knob. some say the point is to increase shift feel, rather than eliminating it with a really heavy shift knob. Ill post my thoughts once I try it.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The knobs from Killer B Motorsport do not work for our cars. The Accent reverse lockout collar diameter is apparently much much larger than a Focus or STi. I confirmed with the vendor that the cutout diameter on both knobs he sells is the same, so even the larger spherical knob will not fit our cars right off the bat. Also the thread of the STi/Focus knobs is M12x1.25 and ours I believe is M10x1.25....

I am going to do a little more reasearch and measurements, and try and find out if this shop may be able to make a custom knob for me or bore one out to fit my shifter....Ill let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (omg grip @ Mar 18 2010, 09:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=305449
probably lighter than a stock knob. some say the point is to increase shift feel, rather than eliminating it with a really heavy shift knob. Ill post my thoughts once I try it.
When I bought my previous car (1992 VW passat) it had the stock knob. A few months later I bought a MOMO knob to match the steering wheel. The MOMO was much heavier than the OEM and it actually helped shift feel because it added momentum to the throw. On 1993-1998 VW golf/jetta that use rod shifters (instead of cables) there is a weighted rod you can retrofit on 1985-1992 golf/jettas. It makes a pretty noticeable difference in shift feel as well.

So in theory, a heavier knob isn't a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Yeah, its really just a matter of preference. Also on my past car I ran a heavier knob for quite a while, it worked well with a short throw shifter. But after a while I liked the feel of the stock shifter and stock knob better. (Miata stock shifter feels pretty much perfect stock, and the throw is already rather short)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (omg grip @ Mar 22 2010, 12:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=306237
Yeah, its really just a matter of preference. Also on my past car I ran a heavier knob for quite a while, it worked well with a short throw shifter. But after a while I liked the feel of the stock shifter and stock knob better. (Miata stock shifter feels pretty much perfect stock, and the throw is already rather short)
Yeah why would you mess with a miata shifter in the first place. It's **** near perfect :D

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Nice on both of those. I have had 1 metal shift knob before and I think its enough for 1 lifetime.

F1junkie I will have to look into having one of those made.

edit: just placed my order, did a white delrin one but with black lettering and a different shape than yours.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I want to get one of these shift knobs too. How did you order them from the site? When I click on Hyundai it only shows the Genesis Coupe model.

·
Registered
197 Posts
QUOTE (feeboo @ Aug 24 2010, 07:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351749
I want to get one of these shift knobs too. How did you order them from the site? When I click on Hyundai it only shows the Genesis Coupe model.

You need to contact him personally - all the measurements are in his database. Not sure if he'll post it up, maybe he should!

The orange I had to do myself, since he didn't have it himself...

I'm glad people are looking into it - what better way to enhance your driving than with a knob meant for your car?

You can see it personally when we meet up for coffee!

Dave

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I did. I was on vacation for a week but it was waiting for me when I got back. We talked over the shape but it didnt really come out quite like I was anticipating.

I guess ideally I was shooting for something more similar to the shark racing knob....but we discussed dimensions and I gave him a go ahead on a 1.5" diameter, which is really close to the 1.15" required to clear the lockout ring. the taper on the knob is minimal to the width, rounded on the top edges. looks like a ****, lol. its quite comfortable though.

Ill have to check my emails at work when I get back in tomorrow, I was pretty sure he said he would work something out with me if its not what I had in mind but Ill have to make sure.

Ill snap a pic of it tomorrow

·
Registered
2 Posts
What that means is the up and down sliding ring under the shift knob, you have to pull up on it over the blocker to enter the reverse gear . That is what means !. The under side of the new knob has to have room for the ring to slide up and down with nothing blocking it's travel otherwise you will not be able to put the transmission into reverse,you will need to look for one that allows that type of shift operation ? .

Good Luck , hope this helps
Another even more annoying problem is that spring. even if you can find a knob that allows for the movement, there's still the issue of being able to cover that spring. I've tried looking for reverse lock-out shifter knobs compatible with the hyundai accent 2008; but no luck. I was wondering if anybody knows something I don't by any chance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What that means is the up and down sliding ring under the shift knob, you have to pull up on it over the blocker to enter the reverse gear . That is what means !. The under side of the new knob has to have room for the ring to slide up and down with nothing blocking it's travel otherwise you will not be able to put the transmission into reverse,you will need to look for one that allows that type of shift operation ? .

How can we tell through online shopping if the knob will be compatable for an accent 2008? Are all knobs made for reverse lock out the same?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts