Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, expecting my new 2011 sonata wednesday. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience replacing the stock shift knob with an aftermarket one. i am a big fan of MOMO shift knobs and wanted to get one for the Sonata.

Thanks

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (mlazur @ Aug 23 2010, 05:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351434
Hi guys, expecting my new 2011 sonata wednesday. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience replacing the stock shift knob with an aftermarket one. i am a big fan of MOMO shift knobs and wanted to get one for the Sonata.

Thanks
Hey could you let me know if there are any short shifters for the yf yet? Could you get your hands on one and sell it to me? I really hate the shifter being so long, i'm used to short shifters.

·
Registered
246 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Aug 24 2010, 10:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351590
Hey could you let me know if there are any short shifters for the yf yet? Could you get your hands on one and sell it to me? I really hate the shifter being so long, i'm used to short shifters.
Could you send me a picture of your shift knob? Is your reverse gear next to 6th, or 1st?

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ Aug 24 2010, 10:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351592
Could you send me a picture of your shift knob? Is your reverse gear next to 6th, or 1st?
I can send one later if i remember. The reverse gear is next to 1st.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The reason I ask is because there are so few manual models sold in the US, and basically no manual models sold in Korea, that it's very difficult to get information about it.

If the reverse had been next to 6th, then our Tiburon 6-speed shifter probably would have fit.

If it's next to first, there are two possibilities. We are developing a short shifter for the newer Hyundai/Kia transmissions, where the reverse is next to 1st and has a reverse lift-up mechanism. This may fit your car, although I can't be sure since you have a 6-speed, as opposed to the normal 5-speed of the other newer transmissions.

If you could, please remove the leather gear boot and send me or post some pics of the gear lever mechanism. You can just open the leather boot and shoot inside, so that some of the mechanism is visible. I should be able to tell what type it is.

The Genesis Coupes also have a 6-speed transmission with reverse next to 1st, but the Gen Coupes are RWD, and the shifter mechanism is a totally different type, so this probably is not the same as the Sonatas.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say there's a good chance that it is similar to the newer 5-speeds. Once we have our new shifter made, you, or someone else could test it for fitment and function on the Sonata. It should be ready in a month or 6 weeks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ Aug 24 2010, 10:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351596
The reason I ask is because there are so few manual models sold in the US, and basically no manual models sold in Korea, that it's very difficult to get information about it.

If the reverse had been next to 6th, then our Tiburon 6-speed shifter probably would have fit.

If it's next to first, there are two possibilities. We are developing a short shifter for the newer Hyundai/Kia transmissions, where the reverse is next to 1st and has a reverse lift-up mechanism. This may fit your car, although I can't be sure since you have a 6-speed, as opposed to the normal 5-speed of the other newer transmissions.

If you could, please remove the leather gear boot and send me or post some pics of the gear lever mechanism. You can just open the leather boot and shoot inside, so that some of the mechanism is visible. I should be able to tell what type it is.

The Genesis Coupes also have a 6-speed transmission with reverse next to 1st, but the Gen Coupes are RWD, and the shifter mechanism is a totally different type, so this probably is not the same as the Sonatas.

Just off the top of my head, I'd say there's a good chance that it is similar to the newer 5-speeds. Once we have our new shifter made, you, or someone else could test it for fitment and function on the Sonata. It should be ready in a month or 6 weeks.
I'll look into it. What is your email for the pictures?

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ Aug 24 2010, 08:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351596

I will try to get a picture tomorrow (it's dark here now). In the meantime, if it helps, here's a stock pic:

Reverse is next to first and there is a lift-up ring on the lever to get to it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
QUOTE (wynd @ Jan 11 2011, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=389805
I will try to get a picture tomorrow (it's dark here now). In the meantime, if it helps, here's a stock pic:

Reverse is next to first and there is a lift-up ring on the lever to get to it.
Long time to post, huh? :)

I had actually forgotten about this post.

Our new shifter is now completed, although we haven't put it on the site yet. It is for the newer Hyundai/Kia 5-speed shifters with reverse next to 1st gear. Compatible cars include the Soul, Forte, 07+ Elantra, i30, etc. As I said before, you may luck out and have the shifter fit your car as well, since the mechanism should be similar. There is a good chance that it will fit. If you want, I can sell you a shifter for 80 bucks, and if it fits, fine, if it doesn't fit, just ship it back for a full refund. We haven't decided on the retail yet, but it should be around 130~140, somwhere around there.

I'll post a pic of the shifter in a few hours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts