Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
shift interlock clicking and rattling noise from engine bay

Evening. 2011 Sonata. I just started hearing, and feeling as well, a clicking noise from the shift lever while in drive. I understand this is the interlock feature, however, I do not recall feeling this before. I also thought it only activated while in park, but I could be wrong. Is this normal?

I also am noticing a loud rattling noise coming from the engine bay, behind the speedo, under certain conditions. If I use light throttle, the 1-2 shift produces a loud rattling near 1900rpm.

I'm going to bring these issues up with my dealer when I go in for the lower control arm recall, but throwing a bone to get them after the right problem would be great (although I realize anything can produce it, so you guys may not be much help)

Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apologies, it should say "shift interlock clicking" instead of "failing." I had a Freudian slip there, wondering if it was failing. Whoops.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Thank somebody out there and .GOV for that feature some 30yr ago.. you have to step on brake pedal (the brake light switch send power to brake lights to illuminate, and power to an electric solenoid to pull lever out of way to unblock shifter release so you can go from P to R, and R to D..

Most respect it is normal, but they put a tiny rubber bumper to dampen sound as solenoid plunger hits home firmly when solenoid energized..

The "buzz" behind speedo, look for the large plastic fuel line clamp at firewall to be of the first style and either popped open, or not secure on the stud it slips onto (crappy attachment method.. have to take and install new style part (pushing 3yr since revised part), and adding insulating material between clamp and firewall to reduce transmission of fuel line harmonics to body..

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They refused to diagnose the rattling because they didn't hear it, even after giving them the TSB number. The guy said my car was out of the production date, even though it was produced in 4/9/2010, and the TSB 10-BD-007 clearly says up until 8/31. They don't want to deal with it unless they can hear it, but it's on video now.

They didn't bother looking into the interlock thing. I just either never noticed it before, or it's degraded. Whatever. At least the control arms are supposedly done, although now I seem to be hearing a clunk coming from the right rear when I go over a bump. Could be my imagination, and I hope it is. I have to go back in anyways to get my steering wheel inserts replaced under warranty, so I'll fight the crap then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts