Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mod was based on this post by @NicholasD: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/ad-2017-elantra/582561-grill-removal-elantra-gls.html#post5305449.

Unfortunately, the solution is somewhat sub-optimal as well, but I found three different possible solutions.

Background

Hyundai uses (IMHO) a very poor design for the Shift Lock Release cover. On my previous cars: My 2002 Focus had a very thin cover that you could pop off with a fingernail. Lots of used cars were missing them and it didn't look good with the cover missing. The mid-1990's Civic just had a slot that you inserted the ignition key into.

The Accent has a tight cover over the slot. When I got the car, I noticed that the cover didn't seem to move and was actually unsure if you were supposed to press the cover down to activate the button or if you were supposed to remove it.

I checked the owner's manual and it said to pull it up to remove it. Easier said than done. After removing it, I think I could use a screwdriver to remove it, but would probably scratch up the larger bezel and what is the likelihood of having a screwdriver in the car when I needed to access the button. I tried bending a paper clip and inserting it and the cover straightened out the clip without coming loose. My trim tools were too large. I could probably remove it with something like a small hook set or a plastic screwdriver, but again, who carries one of those around.

Solution

I checked the shop manual to see how to remove the bezel:
Console removal.JPG

You DO NOT need to remove the gear shift knob to access this and I think the shift knob procedure is incorrect anyway. Someone else said you need to move the chrome collar down and then remove a snap ring to remove the shift knob.

I had a plastic trim removal tool in the car from when I installed my LED's, so I started with the bezel removal. I put the tool at the front of the bezel at the lower edge of the silver paint and angled toward the left front corner and pried upward. It was a lot easier to remove than the bezel cover would be, and with the bezel pried up, you could easily reach in and press the switch with your finger (hence the first option.) Repeat for the front right corner and then press up and forward at the rear.

Next you want to disconnect the electrical connector. There is a white plug attached to the bezel and a black connector that plugs into it. Press the tab on the bottom of the (aft) black connector upward and pull the plug backward to release.

Now, you can rotate the bezel and you should be able to reach up from the underside and squeeze the two "ears" of the cover inward and slide the cover up and out.

The bezel actually didn't look bad without the cover - a bit unfinished, but not really bad - hence Option 3.

With the cover off, I used a utility knife to trim the ears off the cover - here are (blurry) before and after pics:
IM002676_mod.JPG IM002678_mod.JPG

Install is the reverse of removal - i.e. drop the cover in, connect the electrical plug, pop the bezel back in place starting at the rear.

Results are mixed - i.e. the cover shifts slightly in the opening with finger pressure - which it didn't do before, but it does not rattle. Also, I still can't remove the cover with my fingernails, but the paper clip works fine now!!!

Summary

Essentially, there are now 4 repair options:

- Actually, it isn't a bad idea to leave it stock and just keep a trim tool under the seat and plan on removing the bezel if you ever have to use the switch. Most of the time you almost never have to use it, and the trim tool comes in handy for the dome and map light bezels - it is just embarrassing having to explain to anyone that might be watching that you have to remove the bezel b/c that is easier than removing the cover.

- The mod as I did it is functional. You just have to keep a paper clip in the car to remove the cover.

- Actually, as I said, the car doesn't look too bad with the cover removed. If you don't want to have to remember to carry a trim tool or a paper clip with you, removing the cover (from below) and leaving it out (maybe in the glove box in case you sell the car) would be an option.

- I realized after I read NicholasD's post that I didn't do the mod exactly as he did, but I don't think it made much difference. I cut the ears or tabs completed off, and he beveled his and used grease on the sides of the cover. I still can't remove the cover without a paper clip and my cover should have less tension than his does, so I'm sure he needs a paper clip or similar also. The one advantage he has is his cover might wiggle or wobble a bit less if you run a finger over it, but there isn't much material to work with here, so removing part of the ear or all of them is not a huge change.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'll bump this topic since no one has said anything just yet. Since you're talking about that other Elantra topic thread in the Accent threads, I'll reference to the link below which includes a video. Tiger, You better click 'like' be it here or the jump to the link below.

Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum - View Single Post - What happened in or around your 2017+ Elantra today?

I still haven't completely removed mine on my Elantra. I've had to lift the boot up and around the shift lever for the reason in the link above...if it requires that much force to remove the shift lever...I'm not going that far unless I'm absolutely sure I won't cause any damage. I added a picture of my journey through exploration in the below link. That's as far as I got with lifting the boot up and over the shift lever. There's no clip or any other method of removing the shift lever...it would appear it takes brute force to remove like the previous link shown above (the first link).

Hyundai Forums : Hyundai Forum - View Single Post - What happened in or around your 2017+ Elantra today?

I'm mostly positive the SanteFe shifter is the same as the 2017+ Elantra.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Accent Auto Shifter is a lot different than the Accent or the Sante Fe:

18.jpg

No boot, different style knob.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/rb-2012-2017-accent/582641-2013-rb-t-shift-knob-removal.html

The Shop manual says it just yanks off, but I think the post above is correct. I didn't try it and it seems like a lot of work and I didn't have to remove it to modify the interlock, but it sure didn't feel like it would just come off with a lot of force.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts