Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have experienced what I have with my 2011 Sonata.

I was driving last week on the highway and it was a really cold night and the sun visor of my sunroof was closed when all of a sudden I heard a loud bang and heard shattering glass. Next thing I know there's cold air coming into my car. Luckily I was injured or got into an accident because usually I leave my visor open most times.

I exited off the highway and when I looked the tempered glass had completely shattered off my sunroof. I took my car the next morning to the dealership and they said that they would have to contact Hyundai Canada.

In the mean time I was searching online and it is something that can happen with all makes of cars, but Hyundai had a recall for 13,500 Velosters in the US for shattering sunroofs. I called Hyundai Canada myself and they didn't really want to address it.

When I brought it up with my dealership they said "oh that was in the US" which is such a crappy response considering that my car was manufactured in the US.

http://origin.wkyc.com/news/article/288566/230/Investigator-Exploding-sunroof-sounds-like-gun-shot

Hyundai agreed to repair the glass but as a result of the flying glass there was damage to my trunk with a couple of deep scratches and a chip. I also have a vinyl wrap on the roof which has a couple of tiny holes and one of which shows visible damage to the roof.

I was told by my dealership that Hyundai is repairing the glass on my sunroof as a "good will" gesture as I am sure they do not want to accept it as a manufacturing defect.

I left a message for a rep at Hyundai on Friday who hasn't called me back yet but I wouldn't be asking them to repair the trunk damage and the roof damage & wrap which was a direct result of this.

Anyone else experience the same thing as I want to tell Hyundai Canada that I will take to social media and other outlets if they do not rectify the situation.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
22,793 Posts
"...as a "good will" gesture..." Sorry to hear about that sunroof. I heard that comment from a service writer in a Virginia Beach dealership when inquiring about "steering wheel peel." She informed me that their district guy had agreed to replace peeling wheels, ONCE, as a "good will gesture." Must teach that at the Customer Service Academy.

Back to the scratches, etc. Be nice, for now, and see what they do about this. Nice goes a long way to getting things resolved. And if that doesn't work, consider retaining someone that isn't so nice to come to your defense. Usually it just takes a letter from one of these individuals can get the ball rolling.

Let us know how this gets resolved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback Rich...but Hyundai Canada has already told the dealer that they are not going to repair the damage essentially washing their hands off this.

Dealer told me on the weekend that its now between me and corporate.....

·
22,793 Posts
Dealer told me on the weekend that its now between me and corporate.....
And maybe a third party? Try the corporate route, first. Document everything. Then, if all else fails...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We had 1 shatter on Sonata, it (frame still sitting back here in neighbors work area)

Had 1 shatter on Veloster, fella had it open, unknown if road debris hit it or not. "I was just drive'n down road it just blowed up"...

I wouldn't own a car with any more glass than needed to see to drive..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think they should cover the damage on the trunk. Not saying they will, but I think that seems fair. However, I'd bet a lot of money you'll never get them to accept responsibility for the wrap. It's not their fault that the wrap was damaged. If the vehicle would have been in the condition in which it was sold, there would be no wrap on it to be damaged.

You might say that the roof itself would be damaged, and they would have to cover that. Seems reasonable, but there is no evidence that the roof would have been damaged without the wrap.

I am not an attorney, but I bet this is how things will play out.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Check with your insurance company. The other damage may be covered under the Comprehensive portion of your policy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got off the phone with Hyundai Canada and as I suspected they are not willing to accept responsibility for anything so I'm SOL.

They said the fact that they covered the replacement of the glass is a sign of good will to absorb some of the cost.

The damage to the wrap is something I can live with as its not that noticeable but one of the areas actually has roof damage very minor but not just a surface blemish.

Either way its on me now...way to screw me over!

·
Registered
129 Posts
In that case, I agree with Rich. A firm but polite letter on the letterhead of an attorney may get a little more consideration. I don't know if you have an equivalent of Small Claims court in Ontario, but in the states, it often convinces companies to be a bit more flexible if the alternative is trekking to your location to defend a suit in Small claims.

I also agree with Dave - Assuming you have comprehensive coverage, the insurance company would likely cover that (over a deductible). I believe that in Ohio, insurance premiums are not permitted to be increased because of a comprehensive claim.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I think this should be posted somewhere that's more public (as in something like their Facebook Page, instead of being just a discussion between you and Hyundai Canada.

From what I've seen in the past, companies respond better when they're potential customers are involved and are informed of situations like this. They already have your money, why should they do anything else for you?

·
22,793 Posts
Makes me a bit nervous.
My 3rd vehicle in a row that has/had a sunroof. Two were Elantras. This kind of stuff makes me nervous when I read it. But I'll get up tomorrow morning and forget all about it. But it does give you a little Richter effect in your stomach whenever someone posts these issues.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
What's bad is you can't opt out of the sunroof on the Limited, you're forced to get it whether you want it or not, same with the Camry XLE.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why does everyone assume its a defect when it shatters? How do you know that there wasn't a small rock chip in the glass which resulted in this. Unlike the windshield, the rest of the glass in the car does not have as many layers and will shatter if damaged or impacted. Once the glass shatters there really is no way to prove what caused it so be happy Hyundai goodwilled it and move on. Just because the Veloster had a recall, which had a recall for a PANORAMIC sunroof by the way, in no way means your glass was 100% defective. This is one reason I tint all my windows, the tint keep the shattered glass together and sometimes you can even pinpoint the cause.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why does everyone assume its a defect when it shatters? How do you know that there wasn't a small rock chip in the glass which resulted in this. Unlike the windshield, the rest of the glass in the car does not have as many layers and will shatter if damaged or impacted. Once the glass shatters there really is no way to prove what caused it so be happy Hyundai goodwilled it and move on. Just because the Veloster had a recall, which had a recall for a PANORAMIC sunroof by the way, in no way means your glass was 100% defective. This is one reason I tint all my windows, the tint keep the shattered glass together and sometimes you can even pinpoint the cause.
I'm afraid I agree. I grew up in Florida and I can remember back windows shattering on our old Fords back in the 70s so this is nothing new or earth shattering. I think you should count your lucky stars they are paying for it and don't waste another minute trying to get something for nothing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
tokarski makes a fair point. I guess I assumed there was reason to believe there was no other cause for the glass to shatter. That may not have been the case. For instance, I suspect that Ontario has been at least as cold as Ohio, and that might have caused it. So might some type of road debris, that, although not the OP's fault, certainly isn't Hyundai's either.

I humbly withdraw my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have had a sunroof on every car I have owned for almost 20 years. I have had a couple of rattles, but never any breakage. I suppose it could happen to anyone if it gets hit by a rock. I would not loose sleep over the possibility of this happening.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i too won't buy a car if possible without a sunroof. i had one installed back in high school and ever since, i've had one. only time i didn't was when we owned our '03 Odyssey. it wasn't available. i've never had a sunroof shatter. they have all been thru hail storms and it does SOUND like it's going to break...but none have so far. this has gone on now for over 30 years. even my daughter's cars i have bought have had sunroofs.

i think this was an isolated incident...heck, our side window in our Odyssey shattered. had security at the hospital review the tape...plain as day, 'pop'. most of the glass was 'outside' the vehicle and police said 'heat and pressure' caused it to explode outwards.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts