Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone...

Boogyman from Shark Racing here.

We're looking for a tester to install and make an installation manual for us for the OEM paddle shifter DIY kit.

We will be selling this for around US$80, but will send out one set free of charge to whoever can install it and make the instruction manual. We're asking only active members of the forum to volunteer, someone with at least 25 posts. I don't want a troll to just take it and run.

We're basically testing compatibility to US cars, so there is a possibility that it may not fit at all, or certain functions may not work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I am interested!!!

Questions.

What comes in your "kit"?

What would make a "winner"?

In case that it doesn't fit at all, what do you expect from your winner?

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for the offer even if I would not be chosen.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (meik @ May 10 2010, 11:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321627
Well, I am interested!!!

Questions.

What comes in your "kit"?

What would make a "winner"?

In case that it doesn't fit at all, what do you expect from your winner?

Edit: I forgot to say thanks for the offer even if I would not be chosen.
Well, since you're the first active member to reply, you can be the tester, as long as you agree to take some pictures during installation and make an instruction manual. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just pictures with descriptions written on the pictures.

The kit is shown in the picture above. It's part of the steering wheel with the paddles already attached, with various wiring harnesses. As I see it, the only potential problem could come from the wiring of the remote control buttons, especially since we don't have cruise control in Korea. You'll have to see once you get the kit and compare to what's already in the car, if you can make everything work.

If it doesn't fit at all, you can just send it back, and that's that. We can give you store credit for the shipping fee when you ship it back.

If you like it, just keep it and post the instructions. We will also be using the instructions for future customers who buy the kit, assuming it works.

If you are willing to do it, PM me your address, or, if you are registered on Shark Racing, let me know your ID, and we'll ship out the kit this week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ May 10 2010, 09:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321634
Well, since you're the first active member to reply, you can be the tester, as long as you agree to take some pictures during installation and make an instruction manual. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just pictures with descriptions written on the pictures.

The kit is shown in the picture above. It's part of the steering wheel with the paddles already attached, with various wiring harnesses. As I see it, the only potential problem could come from the wiring of the remote control buttons, especially since we don't have cruise control in Korea. You'll have to see once you get the kit and compare to what's already in the car, if you can make everything work.

If it doesn't fit at all, you can just send it back, and that's that. We can give you store credit for the shipping fee when you ship it back.

If you like it, just keep it and post the instructions. We will also be using the instructions for future customers who buy the kit, assuming it works.

If you are willing to do it, PM me your address, or, if you are registered on Shark Racing, let me know your ID, and we'll ship out the kit this week.

Nice! $80 isn't too bad at all. Good luck and congrats. =)

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (hawk1500 @ May 11 2010, 01:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321641
Nice! $80 isn't too bad at all. Good luck and congrats. =)
LOL to my mind that is a lot of work and risk for $80. If he damages something in his steering wheel or in the cars electrical system in the process of testing something that was not tested on an American build car before, it will cost him way more than $80 to fix. I would have ask for a set of LED taillights to be thrown in upon successful completion to cover that kind of risk:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Naw I meant buying it for $80 afterwards. Besides, I am assuming this already works on the Korean version of the car...but either way, I have a manual, so doesn't apply to me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So, What exactly would be diferent about these compared to the factory ones? Do they look nicer? different shape? I am not sure how they could really perform any differently? Just curious....

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (hawk1500 @ May 11 2010, 02:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321655
Naw I meant buying it for $80 afterwards. Besides, I am assuming this already works on the Korean version of the car...but either way, I have a manual, so doesn't apply to me.
Indeed, I would consider them too if someone has tested them to ensure that (1) they work and (2) that you don't loose any functionality such as the cruise control that is not available on the Korean models.

QUOTE (illby1)
So, What exactly would be diferent about these compared to the factory ones? Do they look nicer? different shape? I am not sure how they could really perform any differently? Just curious....
I may be wrong but looking at the picture (and the price) it is only the shifter part that is added to the steering of a non SE automatic car.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ May 11 2010, 12:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321649
LOL to my mind that is a lot of work and risk for $80. If he damages something in his steering wheel or in the cars electrical system in the process of testing something that was not tested on an American build car before, it will cost him way more than $80 to fix.
I would suggest only someone that's skilled and adventurous try this. If something gets broken or fried, it's at your own risk.

Having said that, I think it's cool to deal with after market developers. The paddle shifter could make a GLS or Limited all
the more interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My two cents on the paddle shifters...

As an SE owner, I have them on my car; but I'll say that if I'm in a "sporting" mood, I will use the floor shifter for the manumatic function and not the paddle shifters. Paddles are really for the "speed shift" (on an actual SMG tranny), and are in reality very similar to an automatic in terms of body position and experience (on a manumatic even shift points are forced if you don't change in time). The whole point of the manumatic is to "feel" like you are driving manual... and considering the paddle shifters on the SE don't give the actual benefit of faster shifts (it is still an automatic), there is no real point... the floor shifter should be a better experience.

But! If you are after the novelty, the look, and perhaps like the driving experience with shifting with two hands on the wheel... go for it!

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ May 10 2010, 11:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321634

Sure, I will take a chance.

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (boogyman @ May 10 2010, 07:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321592
Hey, everyone...

Boogyman from Shark Racing here.

We're looking for a tester to install and make an installation manual for us for the OEM paddle shifter DIY kit.

We will be selling this for around US$80, but will send out one set free of charge to whoever can install it and make the instruction manual. We're asking only active members of the forum to volunteer, someone with at least 25 posts. I don't want a troll to just take it and run.

We're basically testing compatibility to US cars, so there is a possibility that it may not fit at all, or certain functions may not work.

I wished you offered that for the tail lights or the springs I got from you guys!

Anyhow, keep bringing us great products. Without Shark my car would be far less cool.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey Boogyman, does that mean the paddle-shifters are pre-wired on Limited cars (or GLSs too?) to the steering wheel? That's the only way they'd work IMO. You should post exactly what's involved to do this on a Korean car (steering wheel removal, etc) to make sure volunteer can make an informed decision if he's up to the task. I'm a tinkerer myself, but would not volunteer without that critical information. As it was said before, any damage would not be covered under warranty, and would definitely cost a lot more than $80 to fix. But sounds like an interesting project. And yes, you should throw the LED tails too. Good luck volunteer :grin: .

·
Registered
185 Posts
QUOTE (pahn488 @ May 11 2010, 11:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321733
My two cents on the paddle shifters...

As an SE owner, I have them on my car; but I'll say that if I'm in a "sporting" mood, I will use the floor shifter for the manumatic function and not the paddle shifters. Paddles are really for the "speed shift" (on an actual SMG tranny), and are in reality very similar to an automatic in terms of body position and experience (on a manumatic even shift points are forced if you don't change in time). The whole point of the manumatic is to "feel" like you are driving manual... and considering the paddle shifters on the SE don't give the actual benefit of faster shifts (it is still an automatic), there is no real point... the floor shifter should be a better experience.

But! If you are after the novelty, the look, and perhaps like the driving experience with shifting with two hands on the wheel... go for it!
I dont use mine either, its a novelty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts